E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
Dan330Ci~

My Ride: 330Ci Clubsport
Seal/o-ring information repository

Following on from the thread here regarding replacement o-rings for the expansion tank, I had an idea to start a repository of seal/o-ring etc. information and data to enable us to understand acceptable alternative parts to the dealer items.

Once populated this will hopefully be of use to people who just need to replace one o-ring or whatever somewhere on the car. If it is successful I will expand into fasteners etc. ('Inconel' exhaust bolts is a good example that needs clearing up). I have some data on prevailing torque nuts for our cars which would be a good starter.

For seals I can take a look at the following for starters (off the top of my head):
  • Water pump
  • Expansion tank
  • Radiator hoses
  • Radiator return hose
  • Coolant temp. sensor
  • IAT (intake air temp.) sensor]
  • Throttle body
  • Oil dipstick
  • DISA
  • Power steering cap
  • Oil filter housing lid (upper and lower)
  • Oil filler cap
  • Diff. fill and drain
  • Coolant drain (on block)
  • MAF sensor

Any suggestions? I can work off markings/photos/measurements etc. for parts that I do not physically have.

I am a Design Engineer by profession therefore a lot of the information will be purely technical and probably not much interest to any given DIYer, who really only needs sizes and materials, however it will hopefully also provide some education into the Engineering behind the parts as well.

I will take a structured approach based on the following topics:
  • Part
  • Replacement philosophy
  • Original part details
  • Markings
  • Explanation of markings
  • Standards
  • Designation
  • Material
  • Lifetime
  • Compression set
  • Storage
  • Assembly

Last edited by Dan330Ci~; 06-17-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Dan330Ci~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
Dan330Ci~

Part

6 Speed manual gearbox (GS6-37BZ/DZ) fill and drain plugs with seals.

Replacement philosophy

TIS states to clean these plugs. If you need to replace the plug due to stripped threads or hex head you can only buy the plug with the seal so this is not applicable. If you need to replace the seal due to damage/loss or otherwise again you can only buy the seal with the plug. Considering they are 5/$8 each it is worth trying to replace the seal separately (if required).

Original Part details

Part no.: 23117531356, Screw plug with gasket ring, M18X1,5, Qty 2
Part no. 6 here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...53&hg=23&fg=15

Part cross reference (extensive, cross series):
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=23117531356

Markings

DIN 3869-18
FKM
B+S

Explanation of markings

DIN 3869 - DIN Standard "Profil sealing rings (Profildichtringe)", German language.
18 - Nominal size (metric thread M18x1.5, ID: 15.7, OD: 20.9, h: 1.5 mm).
FKM - Fluorocarbon (FPM, Viton), 80/85 5 IRHD/Shore A, green.
B+S - Manufacturer's mark, assumed to be Busak + Shamban (now Trelleborg Sealing Solutions since 2007).

Standards

This type of seal is an axial static seal, profile sealing rings to DIN 3869 are in accordance with ISO 1179, ISO 9974-2 and ISO 11926.
ISO 1179 is for ISO 228-1 pipe threads (1/16 to 6 inclusive).
ISO 9974-2 is for ISO 261 general purpose metric threads.
ISO 11926 is for ISO 725 inch threads.

Therefore ISO 9974-2 is the relevant international standard for the seals due to the metric thread of the plug. The plug is a modified ISO 9974-4 part which does include seal details, however the full dimensions for them are as per ISO 9974-2.

Designation

Original: DIN 3869-18
New: Elastomeric seal ISO 9974-2 - M18 x 1.5
Sizes are:
ID (d1): 15.7 0.2
OD (d2): 20.9 0.2
h (L1): 1.5 0.1
L2 (chamfer depth): 0.8 0.2
Chamfer angle: 120

If the marking B+S is taken to be Busak + Shamban the part no. for this seal is DRV100157-V (V for FKM, N for NBR). The part no. is the same for Trelleborg Sealing Solutions.

For info the plug is a modified ISO 9974-4 port plug part, the length L4 (under head to end of thread) is increased from 12 to 18 mm and the material is aluminium rather than plated low carbon steel.
The designation without seal is: Plug ISO 9974-4-PLIH-M18
The designation with seal is: Plug ISO 9974-4-PLIHS-M18-FKM
Using this information you could spec a standard plug with a crush washer or otherwise however I won't go into this here.

Material

These seals are commonly manufactured out of:
NBR - Nitrile, Buna-N etc. (max cont. temp. 100 C)
FKM/FPM - Fluorocarbon, Viton etc. (max cont. temp. 200 C)
EPDM - Ethylene propylene (max cont. temp. 120-150 C)

Therefore I would suggest using the OE material FKM. The reason here is that with a 10% increase over max cont. temperature the life (measured in hours) may be reduced by a factor of 10 or greater. If someone can shed light on the gearbox oil operating temperatures that would be of use here.

Lifetime

TBC

Compression set

Compression set is the percentage of original compression that is not restored after the load is removed.
In this case:
Original compression: 0.3 mm
Seal max tolerance thickness: 1.6 mm
100% Compression set size: 1.3 mm
Therefore if the seal measures 1.3 mm thick or less (after 30 minutes at room temperature), it has reached 100% compression set and will therefore have lost its sealing properties. The max tolerance size is used because the original thickness is not known for the actual used seals.

My seals measured 1.47 mm after 7 years, a compression set possibility of 0-56% based on original thickness of 1.4-1.6 mm, so would have been acceptable to return to service.

Some simple compression set info can be found here: http://www.pspglobal.com/properties-...ssion-set.html

Storage

Ideally the seal would be removed from the plug for storage purposes due to elastomer-metal contact being undesirable for storage, especially for some metals (magnesium etc.). I have a few new spare plugs with seals which I have disassembled for storage (next needed in 4-5 years?). However BMW provides these items assembled presumably to reduce assembly time and remove the possibility of the installer damaging the seal on assembly or placing the seal on the wrong way round (the chamfer should be visible, not against the groove).

As per any elastomer the following storage conditions should be observed to achieve the advertised shelf lives:
Temperature: <30 C (ideally 15-20 C, take care when handling at <15C due to brittleness, warm through before installation).
Humidity: 40-70% RH (otherwise seal packages air-tight appropriately).
Light: protect from sunlight and intense artificial light (ideally opaque packaging).
Ozone: do not store near ozone-emitting equipments (copiers, welders etc.).
Deformation: protect from mechanical damage, store free of tension/compression (tension promotes ozone cracking).
Chemical: protect from liquid chemicals and chemical vapours, do not store unlike elastomers together.
Pests: protect from rodents/insects.

I personally store seals in clean resealable polyethylene bags, separated by material type, inside padded envelopes within a metal box. This method practically ensures protection from all potential damage and degradation.

Assembly

The seal should be installed with the chamfer visible, not towards the groove. To install or remove the seal it should be passed across the threads linearly in small increments, not by rotating. Rotating could stretch or cut the seal. Once passed the threads the seal should be lightly pressed into the groove. Upon installation of the plug the seal should be checked for correct seating in the groove. Torque tighten TBC.

I can explain any points in detail if required.

Last edited by Dan330Ci~; 06-17-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
Dan330Ci~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan330Ci~ View Post
I bought a new expansion tank yesterday, part number

17 11 7 573 781, it has two o rings, here are the designations:

22x3.5 mm (7/8x9/64 in) (0.8750x0.1406 in)
38x4.0 mm (1,1/2x5/32 in) (1.5000x0.1563 in)

Sizes are inside diameter x cross sectional diameter.
Part

Expansion tank o-rings.

Replacement philosophy

If these is a leak from the connections it may be that the o-rings have compression set, been damaged or perished and are not providing a fluid seal. As they are not available seperately from the expansion tank it is definitely worth replacing just the o-rings if the expansion tank is in good condition.

Original Part details

For the expansion tank including new o-rings:
Part no.: 17117573781, Expansion tank, Qty 1.
Part no. 3 here: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...40&hg=17&fg=05

As measured from a new expansion tank:

Part cross reference (cross series, also fitted to X3 and X5):
http://realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=17117573781

Markings

None.

Explanation of markings

Not applicable.

Standards

One current standard for o-rings is for 'fluid power system for general industrial and aerospace applications' type which is ISO 3601-1. However, the cross sectional diameters are based in the inch series as:
0.04 in (1.02 mm)
0.05 inch (1.27 mm)
0.06 inch (1.52 mm)
0.07 inch (1.78 mm)
0.103 inch (2.62 mm)
0.139 inch (3.53 mm)
0.210 inch (5.33 mm)
0.275 inch (6.99 mm)
There are also some other sizes for the aerospace items but they are very similar to the general industrial sizes above. Therefore, we can see 3.5 mm cross sectional diameter is covered but not 4.0 mm. The cross sectional diameter is the decisive factor when determining standards.

It would appear the only standard that contains the cross sectional diameter 4.0 mm is JIS B 2401 V series, however the closest inner diameter is 39.50 mm for o-ring V40.

I will come back to this if I have time.

Designation

As measured from a new expansion tank:

Material

These seals are commonly manufactured out of:
NBR - Nitrile, Buna-N etc. (max cont. temp. 100 C)
FKM/FPM - Fluorocarbon, Viton etc. (max cont. temp. 200 C)
EPDM - Ethylene propylene (max cont. temp. 120-150 C)

Therefore I would expect the OE material to be NBR or EPDM based on E46 coolant temperatures. I would expect the OE hardness to be 70 IRHD/Shore A.
EPDM will have the lowest compression set at coolant temperatures (say 100 C), however FKM (and NBR) has much higher resistance to oils etc.

Lifetime

TBC

Compression set

TBC

Storage

As per any elastomer the following storage conditions should be observed to achieve the advertised shelf lives:
Temperature: <30 C (ideally 15-20 C, take care when handling at <15C due to brittleness, warm through before installation).
Light: protect from sunlight and intense artificial light (ideally opaque packaging).
Deformation: protect from mechanical damage, store free of tension/compression (tension promotes ozone cracking).
Chemical: protect from liquid chemicals and chemical vapours, do not store unlike elastomers together.

I personally store seals in clean resealable polyethylene bags, separated by material type, inside padded envelopes within a metal box. This method practically ensures protection from all potential damage and degradation.

Assembly

The o-rings should be installed into clean expansion tank grooves until fully seated. The o-rings should not be twisted during installation. Upon re-fitting the expansion tank the visible o-ring portions and the male connectors should be lubricated with clean engine coolant or water to reduce friction. It would be normal to use a lubricant (for example silicone grease) with o-rings however BMW TIS states to NOT use any lubricants.

Last edited by Dan330Ci~; 12-17-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:38 AM   #4
Dan330Ci~

Part

Upper radiator hose o-rings.

Replacement philosophy

If these is a leak from the connections it may be that the o-rings have compression set, been damaged or perished and are not providing a fluid seal. As they are not available seperately from the radiator hose it is definitely worth replacing just the o-rings if the radiator hose and end connections are in good condition.

Original Part details

For the upper radiator hose including new o-rings:
Part no.: 17127510952, Water hose, Qty 1.
Part no. 1 here: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...15&hg=17&fg=30

As measured from a new radiator hose:
37x4 mm (Qty 2)
16x3 mm (Qty 1)
9.5x1.77 mm (Qty 1, bleed screw)

Part cross reference:
http://realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=17127510952

Markings

None.

Explanation of markings

Not applicable.

Standards

TBC

Designation

TBC

Material

TBC

Lifetime

TBC

Compression set

TBC

Storage

Assembly

TBC

Last edited by Dan330Ci~; 01-15-2014 at 08:39 AM.