E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
BimmFiniti

My Ride: '01 330i, '02 996
Need help with headlight lens replacement

I'm trying to replace my headlight lenses ('01 330i sedan, pre-facelift) and can't figure out how to get the trim pieces below the lenses out. I've watched a video from this DIY section which sorta trivializes the operation. I've also seen still pictures of the operation which make it look simple.

I've removed the top seal strip (not w/o incident), but can't release the body-colored trim strip at the bottom. I've tried to release the center part first but can't seem to do it. I've tried to pry the tab over, push on it from behind, etc. but nothing moves. I don't want to really force it because I already broke one of the tabs from the seal strip.

Maybe I'm just a klutz because all the DIYs say it's easy. Not for me, I'm afraid.

Can someone point me to more explicit instructions and/or provide some tips?

Thanks!
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
TitaniumSedan

My Ride: is my portfolio
The bottom trim piece is hinged at the corner lens. From what I remember you pull hard from the center of the car out towards the front. The seal strips break pretty easy but these clips are stronger. Good luck.

TiAg, Grey/Black Interior, HK, ZSP/ZPP/ZCW, 5MT
Carbon Fiber Trim (DIY), M68 Wheels, LED AE's, Interior LED's
Smoked Depo's all around w/ stealth bulbs, Black Grill,
35% Tint, BMW Perf CF Strut Bar

My 3D Design Portfolio: briansteere.carbonmade.com

My YouTube channel - Cars and Guns
TitaniumSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
infinite012

My Ride: White '08 STI
The body colored trim piece is held in at the turn signal and towards the center of the car. Start pulling from the center, like TitaniumSedan said.
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
BimmFiniti

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumSedan View Post
The bottom trim piece is hinged at the corner lens. From what I remember you pull hard from the center of the car out towards the front. The seal strips break pretty easy but these clips are stronger. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite012 View Post
The body colored trim piece is held in at the turn signal and towards the center of the car. Start pulling from the center, like TitaniumSedan said.
Thanks, guys. Guess I have to keep reefing on it. If the trim piece is hinged, do I need to take it completely off or can I just leave it hinged?

There's no obvious tab to release in the center. Just pull?

Would also appreciate some advice on the actual lenses:
  • Ordered new lenses through EAS. I ordered Bosch, '01 pre-facelift sedan lenses; I got non-Bosch (Magnet Marelli??) lenses for a facelift sedan. Returning them with a nasty note; not going back.
  • Should I stick with OEM ones ($72.78 through getbmwparts) or do you think the ones through Bavarian Auto ($39.95 ea) are good quality?
Old 05-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
TitaniumSedan

My Ride: is my portfolio
I bought mine from Khoalty along with their AE's. $76 for both lenses and they were AL brand. You can leave that trim piece hanging on the hinge. This is the best pic I have from the install:

TiAg, Grey/Black Interior, HK, ZSP/ZPP/ZCW, 5MT
Carbon Fiber Trim (DIY), M68 Wheels, LED AE's, Interior LED's
Smoked Depo's all around w/ stealth bulbs, Black Grill,
35% Tint, BMW Perf CF Strut Bar

My 3D Design Portfolio: briansteere.carbonmade.com

My YouTube channel - Cars and Guns

Last edited by TitaniumSedan; 05-15-2011 at 11:22 AM.
TitaniumSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
infinite012

My Ride: White '08 STI
I wish someone would record me taking the headlights off of my car. It takes all of 5 minutes each side.

You could leave the trim piece on the car like above, but I like to pull them completely off and place them in the back seat of the car. You know, just in case I knock them loose and they hit the ground.
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
BimmFiniti

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumSedan View Post
I bought mine from Khoalty along with their AE's. $76 for both lenses and they were AL brand. You can leave that trim piece hanging on the hinge.
Just went up to Khoalty and will definitely go with them once my EAS return is confirmed. They're very up-front that the 2002 lenses aren't Bosch, but the 1999-2001 ones are. This explains why the ones I got from EAS weren't Bosch (but still doesn't account for the incorrect part being shipped!).

The responses I've gotten give me a bit more confidence. Appreciate it guys; don't know why I've had so much difficulty. Will update when I install my new lenses, but that will probably be a week or so.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:57 PM   #8
Sansho
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2001 325i
When I've done headlight work on my 2001, I've left the trim strip on the bottom attached on the outside ... haven't had to remove it physically off the car.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:22 PM   #9
BimmFiniti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansho View Post
When I've done headlight work on my 2001, I've left the trim strip on the bottom attached on the outside ... haven't had to remove it physically off the car.
Success! Got the correct lenses from Khoalty and installed them today. They look great.

You definitely need to pull with significant force on the trip strip center to get it to come out. Was a bit worried, but it did budge. After that, it was a piece of cake getting the lenses out.

Once the new lenses were in place, I had to take the trim strip off to install the trim strip correctly. Things wouldn't line up correctly without this.

Thanks for your help guys.