E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 12:11 AM   #1
bennyblanco

My Ride: e46
Oil Sep/Sparkplugs question - help needed

Hi all,

A couple weeks ago I brought my 99 E46 to my regular mechanic to do regular maintenance. He change the valve gasket, sparkplugs and some other minor work. (all stuff I usually do - just no time lately)

I picked up the car on a holiday when no one was there and when i started it, it was making a really loud howling noise. Thinking the guy worked on it and was done, I let it be and was going to give it a few days. It never went away and the engine light came on a couple days later so I brought it back to them. While looking over things with me, he found a broken hose which leads to the oil separator. He didn't have the part but said I could continue to drive the car and bring it back next week to have the valve replaced.

About 3-4 days later, the car was driving insanely poorly and one morning before work it starting burning a ton of oil. I called the mechanic and he said the oil seperator was likely also no failing and it would have to be changed.

I decided to do all the work myself for the oil sep and just finished tonight. It seems to be running better, but still a bit rough and some white smoke is coming out the tail - I took out some sparkplugs, which are new, and they are black with some oild up the threads.

my questions are these:

1) would the cracked hose, which i assume the mechanic broke when he was changing the valve cover gasket, lead to failure of the oil separator?

2) would the failed oil sep lead to the oily plugs? if so, could any other damage be done?

3) I guess I can't do much with these sparkplugs at this point except buy new ones and replace them?

Blah - I should have done all this work myself. Thanks for the help guys and gals.
bennyblanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.