E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
Packm

My Ride: F-150
BMW 5series vs. Acura TL

I have just sold my truck due to a new job that will involve more driving. I an now looking for a reliable car that I will use for a daily driver. I am trying to narrow it down and I have come to a BMW 525 or 530 vs. Acura TL. Also if anyone knows of another car that I should add to this mix please let me know.

PLEASE HELP!!

Last edited by Packm; 05-09-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Packm is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
PromethWill88

My Ride: 04 Dinan S M3
TL all the way. its a lot more reliable, comfortable and good bang for the buck. the 525 or 530 are way underpowered for the chassis (im assuming e39 or e60).

my step father owns a 05 TL 6 speed, its a fast car and the ride is very comfortable along with great gas efficiency. not to mention, great technology and stereo.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
TL can't have staggered wheels, its front drive, still honda...just saying

Last edited by Riverbmr3; 05-09-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
Grovedale

My Ride: an E46
While I have not driven a new 525, I have been driving a 2008 Acura TL type "S" with 40k on it for about a month now, (it is a company car I get at work) and I am not impressed. It looks good in a travel appliance sort of way, but the seats are only ok, the acceleration is reasonable, handling is good, for a car this size, but you can tell it is a heavy car, and it rattles and squeakes over bumps, and it sucks gas. I do not beat this car and the best mileage I have been getting is 23 mpg combined (using the Acura trip computer). My 2003 325Ci (with 25k more miles on it) is more fun to drive, is quieter, handles better and is more comfortable. My guess maintiance on both cars will be pricey unless you do it yourself, but if I had to guess the BMW will cost you more. I would look at a new body style Nissan Maxima if I were you.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:35 AM   #5
Rajput

My Ride: 2001 325i 5MT
What year Acura TL you are looking at? No matter what, run away from 2nd gen TL (99-03). Transmissions are crap.

As for 525 (assuming you are talking about E39) These cars got notorious overheating issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromethWill88 View Post
TL all the way. its a lot more reliable, comfortable and good bang for the buck. the 525 or 530 are way underpowered for the chassis (im assuming e39 or e60).

my step father owns a 05 TL 6 speed, its a fast car and the ride is very comfortable along with great gas efficiency. not to mention, great technology and stereo.
If you need reliable transportation TL is the way to go. (04-08) Check out Acura forums if you need some good information on TL.

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93

Good luck car shopping.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:08 AM   #6
kirill1221

My Ride: 05 TL Base 6spd
I own a 2005 TL 6 speed and I very much love it. There are so many great things about the car that add character to it. Autos have tranny issues. Go with 6spd if you can. Its def reliable and when you DIY you save even more. Power is there. VTEC is not loud but adds a punch. Also with them being Hondas, many parts can be had for dirt cheap.

6spd= Brembos in the front+thick a55 front upper strut bar+firmer suspension.

Yea it is front wheel drive but nothing is stopping you from staggering it anyways. Acuraziners do it all the time.

Best bang for your buck imo.

If you have anymore questions in detail about the car. Feel free to ask or pm me and I would be more than happy.

PS. Type-s does suck on gas. 23mpg sounds about right. I get around 28 with 60% highway / 40% city
kirill1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:44 AM   #7
hudatder

My Ride: 2001 330i
Maintenance wise...the Acura TL has the advantage
Sex appeal...the BMW has the advantage
Driving Experience...the BMW has the advantage
Interior design...Tie (Not everyone would agree due to elitism and bias)
Gas Consumption...the BMW has the advantage 28mpg highway (the TL has 26mpg highway, both have 18mpg city)
Douche Stereotype...the BMW has the advantage

So according to Utilitarianism ethics...the BMW would give you the greatest amount of pleasure

But seriously, you should look into a lexus or infiniti as well.
The Lexus IS350 can be found for about $25k with decent mileage,
The Infiniti G35 sedan or coupe can be found for under $20k with decent mileage too
Old 05-10-2011, 02:57 AM   #8
kaldE46

My Ride: 2001 325i
Lexus gs300.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App
Old 05-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #9
Packm

My Ride: F-150
Thanks guys this is really helping I am looking at getting an 07-08 TL. Or from 02-06 525 or 530. Trying to keep a V6 for the power but still get good gas mileage. I need to make a decision by this weekend b/c I do not wanna pay for another week of renting a car.
Packm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #10
cdseven95

My Ride: 328
Id be looking between the RL (2005+) and the BMW......
cdseven95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudatder View Post
Gas Consumption...the BMW has the advantage 28mpg highway (the TL has 26mpg highway, both have 18mpg city)

So according to Utilitarianism ethics...the BMW would give you the greatest amount of pleasure

The Infiniti G35 sedan or coupe can be found for under $20k with decent mileage too
Couldn't have said this any better

OP.. TL 6 speed is what you want

If you want to go the easiest route, Acura all the way. If you don't mind giving a little TLC and can afford fixing a $60k car, then the 530i would be nice.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:18 AM   #12
M3kka
Banned

My Ride: Another Make Vehicle
I left my E46 for a TL 6MT in white as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirill1221 View Post
I own a 2005 TL 6 speed and I very much love it. There are so many great things about the car that add character to it. Autos have tranny issues. Go with 6spd if you can. Its def reliable and when you DIY you save even more. Power is there. VTEC is not loud but adds a punch. Also with them being Hondas, many parts can be had for dirt cheap.

6spd= Brembos in the front+thick a55 front upper strut bar+firmer suspension.

Yea it is front wheel drive but nothing is stopping you from staggering it anyways. Acuraziners do it all the time.

Best bang for your buck imo.

If you have anymore questions in detail about the car. Feel free to ask or pm me and I would be more than happy.

PS. Type-s does suck on gas. 23mpg sounds about right. I get around 28 with 60% highway / 40% city
Dont forget we have LSD as well. Can you say fun?
I get about 25mpg but then again, I drive the car like it should be

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudatder View Post

Um sir, check the mpg again. TL have 20 city/30 hwy (TL def has the advantage in that department)
Other than that, everything else is true

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
Couldn't have said this any better

OP.. TL 6 speed is what you want

If you want to go the easiest route, Acura all the way. If you don't mind giving a little TLC and can afford fixing a $60k car, then the 530i would be nice.
+1. Couldn't be put any better
M3kka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:45 AM   #13
ramtin325i

My Ride: 2002 325i
to get a reliable luxury car, get the acura.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #14
antzcrashing

My Ride: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packm View Post
I have just sold my truck due to a new job that will involve more driving. I an now looking for a reliable car that I will use for a daily driver. I am trying to narrow it down and I have come to a BMW 525 or 530 vs. Acura TL. Also if anyone knows of another car that I should add to this mix please let me know.

PLEASE HELP!!
My dad owns a 530i and mom owns a Acura TL. Both are great cars but quite different. I like the smoothness of the 5 series but sportiness of the TL.

The FWD of the TL prevents it from truly shining as a sports car though.

PS: Acura gets great MPG, but the 530i gets impressive MPG also

Last edited by antzcrashing; 06-18-2011 at 06:51 AM.
antzcrashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:32 PM   #15
G-Hots

My Ride: ///M3 & 328ci & X3
Send a message via AIM to G-Hots Send a message via MSN to G-Hots
if you are getting a TL, make sure its type S. otherwise stick with the e60
G-Hots is offline   Reply With Quote