E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
Black Panther

My Ride: BMW E46 330ci
Angry Problem starting the car

Hi folks. I recently purchased a second hand 330ci and noticed that on many occasions when I put the key in the ignition and turn it nothing happens . I was told to place my foot half way on the accelerator while turning the key (very fast) but this only works sometimes.
Any clue, is this a typical problem? Any solution?

Thanks in advance!
Black Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
You need to be more specific of your situation
zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
Black Panther

Hi, how do you mean?

I think it may be a problem with the car not recognizing the key or immobilizer perhaps?
Its very annoying as when i go to get fuel it takes me 1/2 minutes to startup the car and drive off!
Old 06-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
Apple4life

My Ride: 03 325i SULEV
Crankshaft position sensor?
Apple4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
Black Panther

Thanks, I'm virtually dumb deaf and blind when it comes to technical terms. I have googled it and it appears that it could be a possibility. Do you know of any way to test if this is the source of the problem?
Thanks!
Old 06-15-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Fuel pump maybe? Does it sound like it wants to start but never seems to crank over?
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #7
Apple4life

My Ride: 03 325i SULEV
I think it might throw a code. I'm not sure. Well you can scan for codes and go to autozone and get the battery tested. If they both seem fine, then look at fuel filter and fuel pump.
Apple4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:35 AM   #8
Black Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Fuel pump maybe? Does it sound like it wants to start but never seems to crank over?
There is basically no attempt from the engine to start/crank over! Although saying that it does happen mostly when the light on the fuel tank goes on for low fuel.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:36 AM   #9
Black Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple4life View Post
I think it might throw a code. I'm not sure. Well you can scan for codes and go to autozone and get the battery tested. If they both seem fine, then look at fuel filter and fuel pump.
Hi, how do I check for the code and what equipment do I use to do this?
Also im in the UK, we dont have autozone here
Thanks!

Last edited by Black Panther; 06-16-2011 at 12:54 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:33 AM   #10
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Start by testing the battery for voltage both off and on using the 'cluster test' or multimeter.

If that seems good, start looking for loose terminal connections on battery (pull up on cable), check for corrosion on battery and under terminals under hood.

For no cranking, start with battery and work up. You could try another key to see if its chip works more reliably, but I haven't heard of 'half working' keys--seems they work or don't, but I'm not positive.

I know a bad crankshaft sensor causes no cranking, but thought it cranked with cam position sensors being bad--search on that.

Then, search on 'no start' threads--there are millions of them.

Oh, you shouldn't run until you get the low fuel light...fill up earlier, like at 1/4 tank whenever you can. If you're not cranking, I don't think the fuel pump/filter is implicated--with them, as far as I know, you'll get cranking...again, as far as I know...and I don't know everything!

Then there's the starter...which often becomes intermittent before it fails...thus the 'hitting it with hammer' to get another start or two out of it. Sounds like the advice you got for turning it on and off quickly was from someone suspecting the starter...(the pedal halfway down advice sounds like it's a cure for a flooded engine...flooded because of repeated starting attempts with no start.

Not sure how you test the starter directly, as I suspect all here who need to replace it, have so much trouble just getting to it that they don't bother testing it...they just get to it by process of elimination and wishful thinking!

Lots of guesses, I know, but at least I didn't suggest fuses or wiper blade refills!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw, ignition, starting