E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 12:47 AM   #1
JP-330Ci

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Suspension/Steering ~HelP~

Ok, so i recently changed my FCAB and immediately got an alignment the next day. However i am still noticing not 100% ride quality and the steering wheel is still slanted to the left when going strait. Thinking about taking it back there cause they didn't tell me that anything that needed replacing(last time i take it there) so i assumed everything was fine. but it really bugs me when my steering isnt dead strait and hinders the ride performance as well

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Forgot to add. when i apply brakes i hear a click noise in the front too! or when i reverse i can hear it in the rear

Thanks ahead of time!

Last edited by JP-330Ci; 03-29-2010 at 12:50 AM. Reason: okay
JP-330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:11 AM   #2
mkodama

You would need to be more specific about what "not 100% ride quality" means for anybody to help you there.

As for the steering slanting towards the right, are you sure it's not just the crown in the road? If the road tilts to either side, your car is going to want to turn to that direction.

Did the car always steer to the right or did it start happening sometime during your ownership? If you hit a hard enough pothole or slide into a curb or anything, it is very easy to have a part of the front suspension bend just a little bit, causing the pull to the right. If you go to a really good mechanic that specialized in BMWs, they would be able to figure out what was tweaked.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:18 AM   #3
JP-330Ci

ride quality such as loose steering, road noise, bumpy, etc.

steering sways a bit, it could be a tweak in the steering because it wasn't always like that. and i did hit a curb before

But if they cant figure it out i will try somewhere else, though i am tight in $...
Old 03-29-2010, 01:28 AM   #4
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-330Ci View Post
ride quality such as loose steering, road noise, bumpy, etc.

steering sways a bit, it could be a tweak in the steering because it wasn't always like that. and i did hit a curb before

But if they cant figure it out i will try somewhere else, though i am tight in $...
That could be a problem...

Maybe do some research on the tie rods, as they can get worn out over time, as well as they are designed to bend in an accident. Also, it could be a bent kingpin/steering knuckle, or both.

The best advice I can give you if you are tight on cash, is to do a lot of research, get a lot of opinions, or even a few different inspections from trained mechanics. Replacing parts that don't need to be replaced is usually a pretty big waste of money.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:48 AM   #5
JP-330Ci

thanks i agree, not in the mood to waste money.

steering wheel also rattles a bit when accelerating onto a freeway
Old 06-17-2011, 11:11 AM   #6
DET330ci

My Ride: 2001 330ci 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-330Ci View Post
thanks i agree, not in the mood to waste money.

steering wheel also rattles a bit when accelerating onto a freeway
Did you ever get the slanted steering fixed? mines slanted to the left at all times. It's pretty annoying.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
mfbmw

My Ride: 323CI
Steering wheel not centered aligned could be the shops fault. Most places center the wheel automatically but others you actually need to ask for wheel centered. Ride noise and shaking could be many things. When I had a bad FCA, I would hear a "clicking" sound when backing in my driveway.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Addressing the "ride quality" issue; something else that you need to keep in mind when replacing FCAB's is that if your previous FCAB's were worn it will dampen the feel of the suspension and any other proglems that exist. New FCAB's may tend to amplify other issues because now there's no problem with the FCAB's anymore and that part of the suspension is tightened up.

As to steering wheel not centered, when the FCAB's are replaced your alignment, as you know, will be out of whack. If they realign the steering but, as the previous poster indicated, do not center the steering wheel then that is IMO the fault of the person doing the alignment. I would take it back in and tell them that the steering wheel isn't centered anymore, and it used to be prior to their alignment job.

If it's now pulling to one side and it's not the crown of the road causing it then you need to get it back to the company that did the alignment and let them know that the car is now pulling to one side where it didn't before. From my experience it's usually a toe-in adjustment at the outer limit and can be adjusted to eliminate this.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote