E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
MikeSamteladze

My Ride: BMW M3 E46
Need advice after inspection

Hello, I'm planning to buy BMW M3 E46 and I've ordered an inspection for one vehicle

There was one thing I couldn't understand, it was told that:

There were irregular thumping noises audible while driving at
slow to normal speeds that sounded like a failed hub bearing type noise

Can this be something serious?

What do you think about the condition of this vehicle?

Thanks
MikeSamteladze is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
eurodriver

My Ride: ///M
The thumping could be anything. My guess is that it is the RTABs or RSMs. However, it may be the subframe. Too hard to tell with that one sentence. The owner of the car should have had more fuel in the vehicle so the inspector could have tested it correctly.

However, that being said, it seems to be in very good condition. I don't think they found too many issues, other than the thumping noise. But, I would investigate that further. What is the mileage and year of the M3?

Where is the car located?
eurodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
What? There was a splash shield preventing inspection of stuff underneath...so you don't know about what could be 20 hrs. of diying time...including oil/ps leaks and suspension stuff he couldn't see coz there was something in the 'mechanics' way.

"It felt like a wheel bearing"? Put it on a lift and spin the wheel and listen with a stethoscope.

OP, hope this wasn't a very expensive PPI...if it wasn't, depending on cost of car, you might want to try again.

Otherwise, if you didn't know, figure you'd want to spend about 20-30% of the cost of the car for maintenance the first year or two...very rough estimate.

Just don't count on the car working. It may very well, but it may not. But don't be caught out buying a car you can't afford to maintain is all...and from that inspection, I'm not so sure.

Sorry...you asked! Maybe it's just my suspicious nature.

Automatic or manual? Must be manual... Mileage, cost, and is this car remote from you and you've arranged an inspection, or have you driven it yourself too?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:26 AM   #4
MikeSamteladze

Thanks for your answers. I completely understood you.

It's mechanics 2002, 80600 miles on it
Old 06-17-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
Zchild

My Ride: 2000 BMW 3XXi ZSP
Since it's the mechanics car I would see if I could get him to replace the the wheel bearings prior to sale, just a thought. other than that it sounds like a buy but I would be prepared to repalce items such as cooling system to include water pump, thermostat, expansion tank, hoses and belts to be on the safe side. These are the weak areas in the E46 models that will cause you the greatest headaches if left unmaintained. Just my two and a half cents worth...
NCC High Performance Driving School Back-Up Registrar
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison
DIY Senior Committee Coordinator
2006 E90 325Xi & 2000 E46 3XXi
" Vision without resources is just hallucination"
Zchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:05 AM   #6
MikeSamteladze

Should I always consider so many replacement when I'm buying a used car?

I understand, that I have to check out the belts and oil.
But should I always do some renewal in suspension parts too?
Old 06-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #7
Zchild

My Ride: 2000 BMW 3XXi ZSP
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSamteladze View Post
Should I always consider so many replacement when I'm buying a used car?

I understand, that I have to check out the belts and oil.
But should I always do some renewal in suspension parts too?
With the E46 the cooling systems are their weakness and most fragile. My cooling system didn't fail until 200K but this forum is replete with horror stories of cooling system failure.
The suspension systems on these vehicles generally begins to show age, wear and tear around 100K. I did a suspension system over-haul at 110K.
NCC High Performance Driving School Back-Up Registrar
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison
DIY Senior Committee Coordinator
2006 E90 325Xi & 2000 E46 3XXi
" Vision without resources is just hallucination"
Zchild is offline   Reply With Quote