E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
Liam.attwood

My Ride: 3 series coupe '01'
Please help, its looking expensive !!!

Anyone know of any quick fix to solve a DISA valve buzzing?

also could this DISA problem cause suction through the oil filler (and slight oil loss).... i have been told suction through the filler = oil seperator but shurley my luck cant be that bad

A DISA valve and an oil seperator?? shurley not any help on this?

otherwise its going to be around 400 -- $550 ish to our American friends.

please help....
Liam.attwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
CCV here is maybe $150 for parts and with diys, first time, maybe 3-5 hours depending on what all you have to learn to do...maybe 5 hours reading diys!

Disa's rattle, I know, haven't heard of them buzzing...electric type buzzing, or maybe buzzing coz there's a leak in the 0-ring...if you have one. If not, I believe they come from the factory with an rtv sealant.

There's an epoxy fix for the valve pin if it gets loose, but don't know about that...haven't needed it yet.

Of course, if disa is out and you're trying to save it, clean it too...a little time and maybe an 0-ring.

You sure it's disa? Have you isolated sound with a stethoscope or hose?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
GuitarmanTT

My Ride: 1999, E46 328i
Everyone has a fast fix for this! There is a free one on youtube for the disa valve (search: disa valve). The oil separator with all the pipes can be found online and many stores for around $150 (US). Its harder then most BMW work but there are many DIYs on it. You could pay a local DIYER with a bmw to do your if you find one.
GuitarmanTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
kimodo

My Ride: Sportwagon
Check this thread .. has video on checking & DIY repair of a DISA..
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=748124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam.attwood View Post
Anyone know of any quick fix to solve a DISA valve buzzing?

also could this DISA problem cause suction through the oil filler (and slight oil loss).... i have been told suction through the filler = oil seperator but shurley my luck cant be that bad

A DISA valve and an oil seperator?? shurley not any help on this?

otherwise its going to be around 400 -- $550 ish to our American friends.

please help....

Last edited by kimodo; 06-16-2011 at 09:00 PM.
kimodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:12 AM   #5
Liam.attwood

My Ride: 3 series coupe '01'
Thanks for the help, i say a buzzing disa, its not as bad as a rattle as some youtube vids show (it does sound like a quiet rattle), its more like an electrical buzz, its definitly the disa... if i turn the engine off (but leave the key in), it continues to buzz for around 10 seconds before going silent,

so taking it out and replacing the o ring may solve my noisy disa..? i will check the DIY links after work (skiving at mo)

any idea if the suction through the filler can be caused by the disa? or is it definitly the oil seperator that is shot (aswell )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E46 PIC.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	406659  
Liam.attwood is offline   Reply With Quote