E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
gigi03

My Ride: 2003 330i
2003 330i Won't Start

My 03 330i Automatic sat for 3 weeks in the garage while I was traveling and now it won't start. Car is stock, 140K mostly freeway miles, not driven hard, all maintenance current, all filters nearly new. Has stumbled a bit on restart when left for a week in recent months.

Check Engine light is not on. Used my Bavarian Technic system to read all the codes. I have no regular faults, but do have Shadow DTC faults: 152 Precat O2 Bank 1 no data, and 84 "Unknown Fault Code" Anyone know what a DTC fault 84 is ?

Engine cranks normal speed, have spark on all 6 cylinders, all 6 injectors pulse, but the engine won't start. Fuel pump wasn't maintaining pressure and there was air in the system. Replaced the fuel pump - pressure, flow and retained pressure now all in spec. Engine still doesn't start even on Starting Fluid.

Idle Control Valve was very noisy and vibrating a lot, and when inspected was moving up and down with just the key on. Cleaning didn't improve that, so I am replacing it. Probably not causing the no-start, but it would explain the bit of idle roughness the car has had. I was able to remove the ICV without removing the Throttle body boot - which saves a lot of time and aggravation.

Battery is fully charged and tests good, but I suspect an internal short, since its charge level drops with nothing connected to it. Battery is 2.5 years old.

I am replacing all the O2 sensors because they have been posting warning faults for a while and it will fix the Fault 152 mentioned above. Replacing the fuel pump relay and fuel injection relay because they are inexpensive.

Has anyone had an o2 sensor prevent the engine from starting ? I would expect it to start and run rough.
Does anyone know what a DME Fault 84 is ?
Anyone had a battery that 'tested good' and would crank the engine just fine not be able to start it.
Anyone had a car that had air, fuel, and spark that wouldn't start, even on starting fluid ?
What is the difference between a Shadow fault, a Soft Fault and just a Fault. I know that Faults cause the Check Engine light to come on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated on what else to check. I just got my Bavarian Technic system, it is a great tool, works on every computer in the car (about 20 of them) not just the engine. I have some repairs to do I didn't know I needed.

Thanks
gigi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
"Battery is fully charged and tests good, but I suspect an internal short, since its charge level drops with nothing connected to it. Battery is 2.5 years old."

The car is 12v+ when you tested it?
zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
lazyacevw

My Ride: BMW
Let us know when you get the new battery in. It sounds suspect, maybe dropping below good voltage during cranking. In the mean time, just for fun, double check all of your fuses.

I wouldn't think the O2 sensors are used during startup.

If you don't get enough flow, maybe it's your fuel filter. Some ppl recommend changing it with the fuel pump.

Last edited by lazyacevw; 06-18-2011 at 08:36 AM.
lazyacevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
My car didnt start about a few months ago too due to a bad battery. It would sit overnight and drop from 12.6v down to 10.1 or so. Sometimes it started, sometimes it didnt. I was more surprised when it did.
zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
gigi03

03 330i Won't Start

Thanks for the replies,

The battery was fully charged Thursday night (12.6 volts) and dropped to completely dead (11.6 volts) by Friday night. I did have the key on to check things for 20 minutes or so (headlights off). So I fully recharged the battery. It is now holding at 12.6 volts.

My battery charger is a Deltran Battery Tender, a top quality model.

I replaced the fuel filter about 2K miles ago. Fuel pressure, fuel flow and pressure retention are all in spec with the new pump installed.

I have been recharging the battery with the cables disconnected from it. I am assuming the engine management computer has a 'maintain memory' battery that can hold out for a few days or weeks, let alone 4-6 hours.

Anyone know what DTC Code 84 is ? What is a Shadow Fault .vs. a "Fault"

Yes, I don't think it uses the O2 sensors on startup either since they don't work until they get up to temperature anyway. I'm replacing them because they need replacement due to age.

I have checked all the fuses to see that they are seated, and checked the main engine fuses. I will go and check any engine related fuses. You'd think a blow fuse for something important would show up as a fault code saying Device X not working, but I'll check anyway.

Any additional ideas ?

Thanks
Old 06-18-2011, 01:01 PM   #6
gigi03

03 330i won't start.

When I get it reassembled I will monitor Battery Voltage detected by the ECU when cranking. It is possible that voltage drops enough to cause problems with the ECU and ignition.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
jkahng

My Ride: 02 330ci 5spd zsp
Batteries will lose its capacity (amps) if you let it drain fully... even new ones.

1. Make sure your battery terminal / cable is not loose.
2. Turn off A/C or heater, stereo or anything that might draw current.
3. Try charging BOTH the battery in the trunk and the jump terminals under the hood at the same time. I recommend that you let it charge for a while before attempting to jump.

Dead batteries will not let current through, connect the jumper to positive terminal of battery and a ground point (not the negative terminal)

I've jumped an X5 this way after letting the battery charge for abt 2 hrs.

Last edited by jkahng; 06-18-2011 at 04:05 PM.
jkahng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #8
gigi03

Update:

New Battery installed, new idle control valve installed, still won't start. Battery cables are tight, no other electrical loads. Engine cranking speed is fast in neutral.

I have a Shadow Fault DTC code 90 "TEG UP 1" No documentation that I can find about what "TEG UP 1" refers to.

Does anyone out there know ?
Old 06-20-2011, 11:25 PM   #9
BMW330CIA

My Ride: BMW 330 cia
Check your fuel pump relay, itīs under glovebox, hope work it
Old 06-20-2011, 11:56 PM   #10
gigi03

330i - Fuel Pump relay is good

Thanks for the suggestion.

The Fuel pump relay is good. I put in a new one just to confirm. It made no difference.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:21 AM   #11
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Someone had similar symptoms as you a while back. See if this helps. Kalim has a great response at post 6.

No power to fuel pump

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #12
gigi03

Thanks for the continued input.
Battery voltage at the ECU is dropping to about 10.5 volts during cranking, so I am putting in another battery known to be good (starting another car).

Fuel pump (which is new) starts and pressurizes the fuel rail to 51 psi (center of spec), retained pressure (key off) and flow are both in spec. The fuel pump that was in the car, wasn't retaining pressure key off, flow was low, running pressure at low spec - which is why I changed it.

I cleaned the MAF this morning, and checked both the engine ground and the battery ground to frame. No corrosion, no losses. The car has never seen snow, so there is no corrosion. Just replaced the Precat 02 sensors original (140K miles) I had been getting fault codes saying "PreCAT O2 sensor adaptation limit" My understanding is that happens at end of o2 sensor life, and also can be triggered by a vacuum leak or MAF sensor not providing correct input.

Anyone know what a BMW Engine Fault Code 90 "TEG UP 1" refers to ?

My only other fault codes are 125 Bank 1 downstream o2 sensor voltage and my auxiliary radiator fan is not responding to the DME. I have replacement downstream O2 sensors (the ones installed are original to the car), but I wouldn't think the downstream sensors could cause a no-start condition.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #13
cvx5832

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi03 View Post
Anyone know what a BMW Engine Fault Code 90 "TEG UP 1" refers to ?
I don't know what that refers to, but if you still don't have this resolved by 2pm today, let me know (PM) and I will stop by with a GT1 (if you haven't already) and see what that tells us.

I don't usually drive into the city, but will if you have (extra) parking. I'm not too keen on parking on the street.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #14
gigi03

Thanks cvx5832. The GT1 will be very helpful in resolving this. I have sent you a private message to setup a meeting time convenient for you. I am in Mill Valley (Marin), so parking is a non-issue.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #15
gigi03

330i Won't start, but progress made.

Many thanks to fellow a local e46fanatic cvx5832 who had a GT1 system.

Interestingly the GT1 didn't turn up the Shadow fault code that the Bavarian Technic did.

Reset adaptation values - engine started to fire. Unplugged MAF sensor - no fault code triggered. Fires better, but flooded quickly. Pulled fuel pump relay, dry cycled to clear flooding. Reinstalled and engine almost started. Recharging the battery.

Most likely the problem is the Mass Airflow Sensor since the engine tends to flood. Crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor are apparently known to fail without posting a code (1% of the time)

I'm putting a MAF on order.

Couldn't find a reference to Fault Code 90 "TEG UP 1" anywhere. BMW is developing a Thermo Electric Generator for future cars ... Maybe mine is asking for that modification ...
Old 06-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #16
Bemwe_03i

My Ride: 2003.5 E46 M3 smg IR
**** have same car...f30 20 posts..
Bemwe_03i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:40 PM   #17
cvx5832

Interesting to see what happens. To those who have had a no-start scenario, has a MAF, camshaft (intake/exhaust) sensor or crankshaft sensor ever fail on you without throwing a code?

Save for the four sensors mentioned, I can verify that the OP has tried pretty much everything. The GT1 didn't yield any (relevant) codes, but that's after the codes were initially cleared with Bavarian Technic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi03 View Post
Many thanks to fellow a local e46fanatic cvx5832 who had a GT1 system.

Interestingly the GT1 didn't turn up the Shadow fault code that the Bavarian Technic did.

Reset adaptation values - engine started to fire. Unplugged MAF sensor - no fault code triggered. Fires better, but flooded quickly. Pulled fuel pump relay, dry cycled to clear flooding. Reinstalled and engine almost started. Recharging the battery.

Most likely the problem is the Mass Airflow Sensor since the engine tends to flood. Crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor are apparently known to fail without posting a code (1% of the time)

I'm putting a MAF on order.

Couldn't find a reference to Fault Code 90 "TEG UP 1" anywhere. BMW is developing a Thermo Electric Generator for future cars ... Maybe mine is asking for that modification ...

Old 06-24-2011, 05:33 PM   #18
gigi03

The MAF sensor arrived and it is the wrong part. BMW's documentation on what my car is supposed to have was wrong and MAF sensors don't have a full part number on them - happens sometimes I guess, so its next Wednesday before the next go around. I checked the wiring to the MAF and it is functioning correctly. Some weeks prior to the no-start I had a codes for "O2 Sensor adaptation limit" Since the o2 sensors were original to the car (140K miles - yes they do last that long) I had assumed that was probably from the O2 sensor, but I understand that can also be caused by a malfunctioning MAF, or a significant vacuum leak.

I have been meaning to replace my PCV and oil separator system, and there is a chance if that system is completely plugged, that it would prevent the engine from starting. I have some pretty annoying oil leaks from the pan gasket - and the PCV system does have problems on the M54 engine. In any case, I'll have fewer oil leaks when I'm done. Nothing like staying home to get work done around the house.

I have replaced the O-ring between the MAF sensor and the Airbox. Mine was flattened and hardened .vs. the new one. No apparent leakage but it would have eventually let unfiltered air into the engine. $8 in stock at the dealer. 3 minute job.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #19
cvx5832

realoem.com is a good resource in case you don't have it bookmarked already.

Enter the last 7 digits of your VIN and you're golden.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #20
cvx5832

spaghetticoder.org if you don't have the standalone version of the TIS, and is a good companion to the Bentley.

Tags
e46, faults, repair