E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #21
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by learthworml View Post
If the mag is 15 rounds, they still have to prove that it was purchased after the ban. Just tell them it is an old weapon and the magazine was purchased before 2000. In California when you transport a weapon you have to have it in a locked container. Your trunk counts as a locked container. I would not keep a handgun in the car, loaded or not. Keep it in the trunk. I think that is pretty common sense. Why risk getting in trouble?
Can you provide a citation for that? I believe you can openly transport a firearm in vehicle as long as it is unloaded. It doesn't have to be locked up.

Even if the mag was purchased pre-ban, I believe bringing it INTO CA would violate the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #22
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Can you provide a citation for that? I believe you can openly transport a firearm in vehicle as long as it is unloaded. It doesn't have to be locked up.

Even if the mag was purchased pre-ban, I believe bringing it INTO CA would violate the law.
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/travel.php

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #23
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Don View Post
In california I am pretty sure that if the handgun is in the cabin of the car it has to be locked in a case and the magazines have to be in the trunk. Otherwise, gun locked and unloaded with mags in the trunk is fine. California doesn't recognize concealed carry permits from other states - such as arizona, etc- and, military personel will get the same treatment as a civilian 9 out of 10 times.
I agree. Main point though.....if you plan on taking a weapon across state lines...you should check the state procedures. I have a CCW, but am aware of other state laws. Also, National Parks have different laws as well. And, you can't bring a personal weapon on a military base unless it is registered on base...and there are procedures for that as well. Last I checked......just by being in the military, you get no special rules for carry...unless you are under orders going to and from a deployment or carry in uniform in the line of duty.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #24
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch330ciTopasBlau View Post
That's the thing about law enforcement agencies.... they tell you only what they want you to hear... Read the actual law/statute yourself

http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12025.html

(F) nullifies the statute violation of being "concealed". Section F is an EXEMPTION
If the firearm is not concealed (open in the vehicle), 12025 does not apply. (IANAL)

Quote:
(a) A person is guilty of carrying a concealed firearm when
he or she does any of the following:

(1) Carries concealed within any vehicle which is under his or her
control or direction any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable
of being concealed upon the person.
(3) Causes to be carried concealed within any vehicle in which he
or she is an occupant any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable
of being concealed upon the person.
Quote:
(f) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed
within the meaning of this section.
the crime is not having it in a car... it is concealing it

Just stay away from school zones....

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 06-20-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #25
Fisch330ciTopasBlau

I read this statement
Quote:
California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.
as the main issue when transporting the gun in CA according to the CA Attorney General's link I posted. It doesn't matter if it's carried openly or not. ANY firearm that can easily be concealed must be locked up when transporting unless you're licensed to carry...which eliminates the great majority of gun owners in CA.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma

Last edited by Fisch330ciTopasBlau; 06-20-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #26
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
I read the "Being able to be concealed" part as the main issue when transporting the gun in CA according to the CA Attorney General's link I posted. It doesn't matter if it's carried openly or not. ANY handgun must be locked when transporting unless you're licensed to carry...which eliminates the great majority of gun owners in CA.
I politely disagree. You're reading a INTERPRETATION of the statute by some LEO, political office or maybe a webmaster. Although correct, it is not complete.... Read the actual statute

Laws tell you what you can't do not what you can do. So unless there is a law that specifically states that you can't open carry or (unconcealed) carry in a vehicle. It is legal.

http://www.californiaopencarry.org/C...aOpenCarry.pdf

Read that

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 06-20-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #27
Fisch330ciTopasBlau

http://www.calgunlaws.com/index.php/...ain-sight.html

You're right, but the way you can get away with this isn't very smart to do.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
Old 06-20-2011, 04:55 PM   #28
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
http://www.calgunlaws.com/index.php/...ain-sight.html

You're right, but the way you can get away with this isn't very smart to do.
Why is it not smart? It's legal

If the officers are poorly trained that interact with law-abiding citizens, that's not our fault, it's theirs.

You aren't "getting away" with anything. It's legal. Frankly, I could not possibly care any less how officers "feel" about anything I do, when I'm engaged in legal behavior.

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 06-20-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #29
Fisch330ciTopasBlau

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Why is it not smart? It's legal

If the officers are poorly trained that interact with law-abiding citizens, that's not our fault, it's theirs.

You aren't "getting away" with anything. It's legal. Frankly, I could not possibly care any less how officers "feel" about anything I do, when I'm engaged in legal behavior.
I get where you're coming from but what's the practical sense in having an unloaded gun sitting in plain view with no immediate access to your ammo in your car while transporting.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
Old 06-20-2011, 05:30 PM   #30
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
I get where you're coming from but what's the practical sense in having an unloaded gun sitting in plain view with no immediate access to your ammo in your car while transporting.
Im not able to explain or describe why idiots in states like NY, NJ, MD and CA pass these laws.... But they do. People that have never held, fired or seen a real gun and believe guns actually kill people.

To answer your question. It is perfectly legal to have a loaded magazine with you, while open carry transporting your gun. If I need it, I can pop the mag in, rack it and be ready to fire in 2 seconds. If it's locked in my trunk... I'm dead.

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 06-20-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #31
Fisch330ciTopasBlau

I've lived in CA for years and still don't understand it either. There are people here fighting the good fight for our constitutional rights though.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
Old 06-21-2011, 12:46 AM   #32
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Sucks for the OP...but it is what it is. Cali is not a gun friendly state. I grew up there and knew that first hand. Also, over 20 years in the military and have been to several different states, quite a few of them that have open carry laws like Colorado and Tucson AZ. In Colorado...you do not need a CCW permit to have a loaded handgun in the car, you can even keep it under the seat. Again....any smart gun owner should understand state statutes and how transport works. Not much more I can say than that. Again, I live in a state that allows silencers, extended magazines....and a ton of other fun stuff. Screw Cali...never going back. Gotta love extended mags and freedom out of Cali!!!! WOOT WOOT!!!