E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 09:38 PM   #1
FunPoliceSam

My Ride: 2001 325i
Clunking noise in reverse/drive

I am getting a clunking noise when I put my gears in reverse. Also getting the same noise outta reverse and into drive. Sounds like it comes from below the car.

I got a STEP with 173k miles. Is my clutch dieing?
Have any of you heard of "sloming"? Supposedly, high school students are sticking leeches to themselves in exchange for some kind of high. Since when did this become the new thing? What happened to just kicking back with a group of your close friends and smoking a joint?
FunPoliceSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
guibo maybe

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech.../E36-Guibo.htm

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 06-19-2011 at 09:54 PM.
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:45 PM   #3
Eric Giles

Send a message via AIM to Eric Giles Send a message via MSN to Eric Giles
Well, obviously since you have an automatic you don't have a clutch-so that's not the problem. It's possible that the flex disc (also, but incorrectly, referred to as the guibo) might be the issue if the sound seems to come from directly under the shifter area. If you are hearing the noise coming more from the rear of the car, then it's more likely the differential bushings-and most likely its the rear diff bushing. My rear differential bushing is worn, and when I put the car into reverse I can hear the clunk. It doesn't clunk when I put it into drive.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:03 AM   #4
computerwhiz1

My Ride: 2000 323i Sedan
I have had and still am dealing with a problem similar to this. Probably the rear differential bushings are a good place to start. If possible get the car off the ground and look under it while someone is shifting gears, when I did this you could clearly see the rear diff moving around. While rear diff bushings helped my problem I still get a very metallic clank (instead of the clunk which was fixed by the bushings). I am still trying to fix this but I think it has something to do with the flex disc or some drive shaft support bearing (or something like that). I took a video of the sound that mine is making, does it sound like this (from outside the car)?
computerwhiz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:15 AM   #5
FunPoliceSam

yea i dont know why i said clutch lol, i was reading another thread with clutch issues and its like 100 degrees here in CA and my AC broke.

yea it doesnt sound like that video, definately a stronger clunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Giles View Post
Well, obviously since you have an automatic you don't have a clutch-so that's not the problem. It's possible that the flex disc (also, but incorrectly, referred to as the guibo) might be the issue if the sound seems to come from directly under the shifter area. If you are hearing the noise coming more from the rear of the car, then it's more likely the differential bushings-and most likely its the rear diff bushing. My rear differential bushing is worn, and when I put the car into reverse I can hear the clunk. It doesn't clunk when I put it into drive.
Have any of you heard of "sloming"? Supposedly, high school students are sticking leeches to themselves in exchange for some kind of high. Since when did this become the new thing? What happened to just kicking back with a group of your close friends and smoking a joint?
FunPoliceSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:22 AM   #6
computerwhiz1

I would say differential bushings then. Does it clunk when shifting gears while driving or just when shifting into gear while stopped?
Old 06-20-2011, 06:48 AM   #7
Bimmage01

My Ride: 330ci ZSP
I had a clunking when putting it into reverse since the day i bought it. A year later ....no reverse lol

6MT swap FTW
Bimmage01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #8
computerwhiz1

Just for reference so we can relate this to other similar problems, do you guys have GM of ZF transmissions?
Old 06-29-2011, 11:38 PM   #9
Chad44

My Ride: 03' Imola 330i ZHP
set up a camera under your car looking up at the larger bushing on the rear of the differential (about 2.5" diameter) then hold the brake and shift between drive and reverse then review the footage. I had to replace the one on my wife's 99' 323i e46 and it made all the difference in the world... But you can likely see the damage to the bushing if you are getting a loud clunk and the bushing is in fact the culprit...

Here are some photos, in the first one- this is the view in from the driver rear wheel well but you can easily see the bushing from underneath the car. the bushing is about half way up the photo and 1/3 way in from the right side... see the next photos as reference of what you're looking at.

This is a close up of the bushing, you can see the cracks in it... this is on my 03' 330i manual... just starting to feel a bit funny but no clunk yet, the bushing on my wifes car was a lot more obvious with much of the rubber in the center of the bushing actually missing.

Chad44 is offline   Reply With Quote