E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
Shakewell

My Ride: 2004 325i Sedan
Gotta do the ol' valve cover gasket, got a question.

Is it necessary to replace the rubber gromets for the bolts. The ones NOT included with the kit? If so where can they be aquired?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
Drewfus2101

My Ride: N/A
Yes, you need to. They conform to the shape and get brittle. I think Besians lists the part number on his site. Get them where you buy the VC gasket.
Drewfus2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:07 AM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
+1, and nothing personal, but every diy I've read has said this. It's been a while since I did it, but I think you should probably read some more diys until you start the work--you might catch some other things you shouldn't forget...like the two, opposite turning bolts you'll run into when doing the vanos seals...assuming you are...and seemingly you should (it's an article of faith here!).

Did you do any vomiting while you were studying diys? Was your stomach at least a little upset? If not, definitely read more.

Oh, and get an extra screw to replace the one you'll break or lose...worth the extra $4...and have a magnet on a stick and inspection mirror and xl50 /thread!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Yes
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
Shakewell

No vomiting, I have done a brief overview of the DIY threads on this job. Trust me, I'm a mechanic in the USMC, this will be one of the easiest jobs ill do, just was not sure if those gromets actually helped seal the vc. Thanks for the help

Old 06-20-2011, 10:37 AM   #6
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakewell View Post
No vomiting, I have done a brief overview of the DIY threads on this job. Trust me, I'm a mechanic in the USMC, this will be one of the easiest jobs ill do, just was not sure if those gromets actually helped seal the vc. Thanks for the help

Ah, you didn't say you were in the USMC! I'm sure it will be easy, but there are a few little things to note--specifically the rtv on half moons and where vanos meets the head.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 06-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
Drewfus2101

My Ride: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Ah, you didn't say you were in the USMC! I'm sure it will be easy, but there are a few little things to note--specifically the rtv on half moons and where vanos meets the head.
Just encase you missed it the first time...
Drewfus2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #8
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
yes

pn 11121437395

i can't believe i have that part number memorized lol, I guess we do alot of them
Old 06-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #9
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
When I replaced my VCG, I used new bolts and grommets. If you buy the bolts, they come with the grommets and washer as one piece. It might be slightly cheaper to just buy the rubber grommets, but I like new bolts especially when they run at 60K intervals. Same goes for strut or suspension nuts and bolts. Always new.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:50 PM   #10
Shakewell

Hey guys thanks for all the help.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #11
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrientBlau View Post
When I replaced my VCG, I used new bolts and grommets. If you buy the bolts, they come with the grommets and washer as one piece. It might be slightly cheaper to just buy the rubber grommets, but I like new bolts especially when they run at 60K intervals. Same goes for strut or suspension nuts and bolts. Always new.
Oh no, didn't you know of our lifetime parts; everything metal lasts for ever!

That's so funny to me that you replaced all the bolts--it's certainly the sort of thing I wholeheartedly endorse! Why do I think you also treated yourself to a couple new engine cover bolt covers too?

A recent set

Old 06-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #12
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Oh no, didn't you know of our lifetime parts; everything metal lasts for ever!

That's so funny to me that you replaced all the bolts--it's certainly the sort of thing I wholeheartedly endorse! Why do I think you also treated yourself to a couple new engine cover bolt covers too?
No new engine cover nuts, but it did get a thorough cleaning, as did the valve cover.

Gaskets, nut and bolts should always be replaced. Thats my motto.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #13
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
i am going to through this out there but it is not necessary. yes, it would be nice and recommended but you can get away with it (assuming the rubber on your gromet is good to go). also, i don't recall see any BMW TIS on replacing the rubber gromet.
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:54 PM   #14
Shakewell

Just found the gasket kit with the grommets at oembimmerparts.com $41, at first I was confused because the grommets are not shown in the picture. sold!