E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 07:12 PM   #1
corpus94

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Engine replacement experiences...opinions.

So my beloved 2002 330ci has a massive problem with the sixth cylinder getting zero compression. I've thrown about $1000 or so in parts at it. New plugs, coils, boots, disa, oil separator and hoses, o2 sensors....local mechanic hooked up computer and no compression. Says its less expensive to replace motor than to get in there and work on it. Usually do maintenance myself, but this is probably beyond my scope and I really don't have the time to learn and be without a car for that long.

So....what experiences have others had with an engine replacement? Is it less expensive or better than to try and have somebody open it up and work on it? Should I just get another car? Engine is gonna be like $1500-$1700 and labor is going to be $700-$800.

The car isn't overheating, but will run ok for a bit then start misfire with no power.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
corpus94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
HLG600

My Ride: German
What kind of condition is the rest of the car in? If the car overall was absolutely mint then I'd replace the engine. Otherwise, if it's rough overall, might be wroth it to look at a different car.
HLG600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #3
2003silver330i

My Ride: 03 BMW 330i
What kind of warranty are you getting if you go with the engine swap?

2003silver330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:34 PM   #4
corpus94

Its in ok condition. I need to replace bumper. I'spent money on rims 4 years back, tires a year or so ago. New suspension like 3 years ago. All the other crap I just bought. It needs expansion tank too.

I will get 6 months on engine and no real labor warranty as dude is doing it on the side. But he is really fair and people jave great experiences with him.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
Zero compression on one cylinder will cause constant power loss, not on and off?
You trust this mechanic?

You don't check compression with a computer, but a compression tester.
A wet compression test will tell you if the problem is in the head, or bottom.
If it's the valves, it would cost less to do a valve job, than replacing the engine.

A leak down test should also be done.

What is the mileage?
lszlszx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:19 PM   #6
corpus94

We did a compression test on the first three cylinders, but not all to check for blown head gasket, as it got hot, but they were good. He then hooked it up to a computer another day and saw no fire in 6th cylinder. It was getting hot as I had a coolant leak I was topping off. It has also been losing oil at like a qt every 1.5k miles that I top off as well. It isn't from the likely suspects though as ofhg and vcg have been done.

The car has like 157k miles.

I can do a wet compression test as I have the tool but I have no way of doing a leak down test.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:54 PM   #7
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
Go ahead and test compression on cylinder 6. I doubt if it'll be zero.
Leak down test isn't absolutely necessary.

But here's another thing that doesn't make sense: you're saying the engine got hot, so you could only test compression in the first 3 cylinders?

The engine isn't running when compression is tested, all spark plugs should be out.
lszlszx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #8
corpus94

I didn't mean it got hot because of testing, I did the testing because it was getting hot in case it was a head gasket issue, which it wasn't.

I've decided not to go the new engine route. If it is going to cost me more that $2k to fix it, then I am just going to get a new car. Just sucks to have already pumped all the money I have into it and not be able to recoupe those costs.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #9
2003silver330i

My Ride: 03 BMW 330i
If you have already put a lot of money into the car you might want to rethink getting rid of the car only to buy another used vehicle with problems. I was in the same boat as you and decided to go with an engine swap because I was not willing to let all the money I had put into the car up to that point be all for not. After the engine swap I have been trouble free for 10 months now except for a few minor hiccups. I had a loose connector plug to the headlight as well as the throttle body and a loose bolt to the alternator. These were easily and quickly fixed by pushing the connector plugs on tighter and making sure the alternator bolt was tight. I got in a rush towards the end of the engine swap and probably could have avoided those issues had I taken my time. The point is that I now have a mechanically flawless car with no worries instead of another used car causing me headaches.

Last edited by 2003silver330i; 02-27-2014 at 01:13 PM.
2003silver330i is offline   Reply With Quote