E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
bsolberg07

My Ride: 01 m3
e46 m3 convertible top leak

I have a 2001 Bmw e46 mr3 convertible. I started to notice I have water in the bottom of my trunk after it rains. My first question would be, There is a latch in the trunk that needs to be open for the top to function. Since summer I have not closed that latch. Even when the top is up. Should this latch be closed when the top is up and could the water be leaking from there? The latch that I am talking about is at the top of the trunk, You pull the lever and then it opens and closes. Any answers would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks much.
bsolberg07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
KPTyra

My Ride: 2002 330CiC
Weep holes may be plugged...

bsolberg07:

You may want to check if the weep holes in cavity in which the convertible top is stored are plugged. Plugged weep holes are a problem for E46 convertibles. By design, water is supposed to drain through these weep holes in the E46's convertible top storage cavity.

I had this problem. It manifested itself in standing water under the rear seat, in the rear seat foot well and in water in the spare tire cavity in the rear trunk. This occurred after even the smallest rainstorm. I think I head 10 or so inches or water accumulate in the trunk. A real pain in the neck.

One way to check if you have a problem is to put the top partially up -- allowing access to the convertible top storage cavity. Pour a small amount of water into the top cavity near where the top mechanism is mounted to the body on each side. If the weep holes are plugged, the water will just stand there -- or drain painfully slowly. If the weep holes are open, the water should drain quickly and exit through drain lines beneath the car. You need to do this test on each side of the convertible top. If this water doesn't drain away, it works its way into parts of the car, causing standing water...

If the weep holes are plugged, you can take it to the BMW dealer and spend $2k to get it fixed. Or -- you can follow a procedure that I found elsewhere on this site. I had the problem fixed in about 3-4 hours of work. Needed to buy or borrow a couple of tools -- and it takes two people to do it -- but well worth the effort.

Good luck.
KPTyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
Blackcherry01

My Ride: 01 325ci sport
@BSOLBERG07 where did you get the info to do this?
Blackcherry01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:08 AM   #4
KParlee

My Ride: 02 M3
Send a message via AIM to KParlee Send a message via Yahoo to KParlee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcherry01 View Post
@BSOLBERG07 where did you get the info to do this?
I found more info here at this post. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=700932