E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

View Poll Results: Should I pay
No 13 32.50%
Yes 27 67.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
BLAU III

My Ride: eat's cars.
Should I pay?

So last Thursday, my SES light came on and the car felt like a diesel when idling. I thought is was the DISA as I am at 108k.

I take it out to my local mech Thursday night and he calls me Friday morning. He said it is the DISA and it would be $300 and the car would be done on Tuesday around lunch time.

I have someone drop me off today at lunch to get it and the were still working on the car when I got there. After waiting for 45 minutes, guy comes out and tells me that they ordered the wrong part because I don't have any numbers on the back

He asks me to come back tomorrow around lunch and it should only take 45 minutes or so. I ended up calling my local dealer and got the part for $230. Took about ten minutes to put in tonight.

My question, when I called the mech back this afternoon he said I owed him a $50 diagnostic fee, should I still pay? Part of me thinks I have had a solid relationship and he usually does good, timely work. The other part of me thinks this guy jerked me around for a few days and took quite a bit of time out of my day. A simple hey we fvcked up would have made this situation much better.

Am I being the typical BMW owner here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I would battle a pack of wolverines in a porta potty with my hand tied behind my back, yielding nothing but a shake weight taped to my forehead, just to hear her fart over a walkie talkie.
BLAU III is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
j_block

My Ride: 2003 325i
dont pay if you get bad service, thats what i think
j_block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
Hollywood516

My Ride: 02 330i
pay him the 50 and say thanks but no thanks next time ,bc he screwed you around. he should have known to get the right part..
Old 07-05-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
R0B

My Ride: zhp sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_block View Post
dont pay if you get bad service, thats what i think
true, but the shop did diagnose the problem... There is always a diagnostic fee... you should pay, at least it wasn't $255 like the dealer would have charged you.

Next time you should try to figure out the problem yourself, you were right about guessing it was the desa

:Headers: :Header-back Magnaflow Exhuast: :UUC clutch/lightweight flywheel: :AA stage 1 supercharger: :VMR V710:
For sale: 3.46 differential, 18x8.0 style 135/18x8.5 style 135/ 19x8.5 varrstoen 1.1.2
R0B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
maurer

My Ride: 04 Coupe
Did the Disa fix your concearns?
maurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #6
R0B

My Ride: zhp sedan
Oh I didn't read the OP's post properly... Don't pay, crappy service...

:Headers: :Header-back Magnaflow Exhuast: :UUC clutch/lightweight flywheel: :AA stage 1 supercharger: :VMR V710:
For sale: 3.46 differential, 18x8.0 style 135/18x8.5 style 135/ 19x8.5 varrstoen 1.1.2
R0B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #7
GRIDLOCK

My Ride: E36 / E46
Did you sign a "repair order" or a "work order" of any kind?

Have an EVAP code? Replacing gas cap did not fix? Give me a holler, I can do a smoke test for ya.
GRIDLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #8
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Question, WAS it the DISA? You could have diagnosed that yourself by unplugging one connector...
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #9
BLAU III

My Ride: eat's cars.
It was the Disa/Desa, whatever that thing is on the drivers side of the intake. I've had the SES light a few times but it's never run this rough. I have a big drive from Pittsburgh to Filthadelphia at the end of the week and wanted the car in best shape quickly. Thought this guy could do it.

I didn't sign anything, and he let me leave with the car today. I actually told him to check that valve when I left him a voicemail that I was dropping it off. His diagnostic fee was basically for pulling the codes.

I am leaning towards not paying but I don't want to have to find another indy. Is there a gentlemen-ly way of handling this? (I'm ok with with being a dick about it, I've wasted far too much time already)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I would battle a pack of wolverines in a porta potty with my hand tied behind my back, yielding nothing but a shake weight taped to my forehead, just to hear her fart over a walkie talkie.
BLAU III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #10
j_block

My Ride: 2003 325i
talk to the manager and explain that the service was really bad and you wasted alot of time, if that doesnt help then talk to someone higher up
j_block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:16 PM   #11
bimminge46

My Ride: 323Ci, 89 325i ETA
give him his peanuts and tell him you'll never come back again

E30 in progress.

bimminge46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:23 PM   #12
someguy_99

My Ride: E46,335Xi,Lambo,...
Give the money but give him a two week post dated check

A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. J Clarkson
someguy_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #13
kannabis

My Ride: '02 325I,04 325CIc
If he does good work, his prices are usually reasonable and you trust him, pay him the damn money.. it's only $50! If he's none of the above and you'd rather do the work yourself or take the risk of finding a "trustworthy" mech, then tell him to piss off. I also think you should man up and tell him face to face, he wasted your time instead of coming on a forum and b!tching about it.
kannabis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #14
avglushk

My Ride: e92
Send a message via Skype™ to avglushk
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy_99 View Post
Give the money but give him a two week post dated check
^^^^^ this one is the best
For Sale: 1. OEM used headlights and corners, see link http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=884565
2. 2 brand new Bosch post cat oxygen sensors
avglushk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #15
Zchild

My Ride: 2000 BMW 3XXi ZSP
The dude provided a service to you, pay the bill that you owe; man up my comrade! SMH
NCC High Performance Driving School Back-Up Registrar
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison
DIY Senior Committee Coordinator
2006 E90 325Xi & 2000 E46 3XXi
" Vision without resources is just hallucination"
Zchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #16
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
From my perspective, this Indy seems decent enough and if you like him, then not only should you pay the $50, but also bring him espresso and donuts!

Why? He got your car on Thursday and had an answer by Friday...okay, easy enough with scanner and stethoscope I guess, but he was right there for you and honest.

He was working to make you a happy customer, and also this...while the diagnostic might have taken a short time, he then called up his parts source, ordered part, (and parts guy could have been at fault), and then he went to order new disa and swap again. He'd spent an hour on your car...plus or minus...and you went rogue on him.

Not a horrible thing for either of you...but he got a little ticced off. Admittedly, four days without your car when he might have said to just unplug it (maybe he didn't know...or maybe that doesn't always work...IDK). Anyway, he had to have been pissed both ordering or getting the wrong part, and you are too, but a good Indy is hard to find and takes a little work to keep...but they're worth it!

Don't forget the donuts...srs (if you want to keep him!).

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #17
makecopies

My Ride: Gods Chariot
Uhhh dont pay and spend another 50 bucks and get a Peake code reader from bimmertools!
makecopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:48 PM   #18
kimodo

My Ride: Sportwagon
He was up front & said he got the wrong part. These things happen, and at least he charged you a reasonable amount for the dianostics. A shop gets busy... and you had to wait. I say pay him.. because if you're even thinking about it means you want to do the right thing.. even though he may have little recourse if you chose not to pay.
kimodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #19
deadpass

My Ride: 01 330i
If you want to use this guy again, then pay him. If you don't, then I wouldn't bother. Altho the ethical thing to do would be to pay.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #20
Roxlo

My Ride: e46 325i
Pay, its only $50 and they didn't do anything wrong that cost you more money.
Roxlo is offline   Reply With Quote