E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 10:52 AM   #41
ghorn

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcrazy1532 View Post
Yeah I'm noticing mine has an issue with burning the rice on the bottom. Definitely shouldn't be doing that. I'm probably going to take it back and upgrade. I haven't gotten into the aromatic rices yet. Been sticking to the Brown and White but I plan to get there soon.
re: burning

I've noticed that I need to use a little more water than I would when I used a conventional pot to cook the rice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.
ghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #42
speedcrazy1532

My Ride: is over
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghorn View Post
re: burning

I've noticed that I need to use a little more water than I would when I used a conventional pot to cook the rice.
Yeah it's not actually happening while cooking or at least I don't think so. It appears that the "keep warm" setting is still too hot that it burns the rice.

-Phil
speedcrazy1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #43
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
do people hate you guys when they throw dinners and you can't eat what they make?
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #44
ghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
do people hate you guys when they throw dinners and you can't eat what they make?

Not sure they "hate" me, but I imagine it makes some feel uncomfortable that b/c they may feel like they're not able to be a good host Makes it easier when I'm the host, like this past Saturday. I served up a good variety of stuff & no one would've ever known that I was adhering to a g-free menu.

I do feel bad (even tho the girlfriend says I shouldn't, haha) when I go out to eat with people. Planning on which restaurant to go to can be difficult at times. But, I've been doing it long enough now that I have a good amount of places I can suggest.

Quote:
Old 08-17-2011, 10:14 AM   #45
speedcrazy1532

Quote:
Generally I've been met with curiosity at peoples houses. I've also been coddled which I put to a stop immediately. My attitude is that of the "idgaf" variety

In restaurants it's different though. I've been met with everything from total clueless looks to outright hatred. One hostess gave me outright attitude about it; her manager was standing behind her. Should have been there to witness the backpedaling .

I generally spend most of my free-time at work looking at all things gluten free. Like Ghorn I know a ton of places that are accommodating, and I generally have been to WAY more places than most of the people I go out with. A few within 15 minutes of me that are garden variety restaurants are

Cheeseburger in Paradise(GF Burgers)
J.B Dawsons (Nice GF menu/pasta)
Red Robin (GF Fries + Lettuce burgers)
Friday's (Not my first choice)
Uno's (GF Pizza)
Macaroni Grill (GF Pasta)
Chili's
Boston Market (Really wish the Meatloaf was gf)

I haven't explored other but I'm sure there is more.

I try to stay away from places that I know are likely to have people who don't speak English that well. It's kind of key that they understand what the hell I'm saying. It's Ironic because most Asian restaurants are off limits even though rice is kind of a staple for us. I also notice the restaurants operated by foreigners tend to have lax preparation methods that lead to cross-contamination.

As for feeling bad: I don't. Restaurants are supposed to be accommodating and I'm never rude unless I'm met with some sort of attitude. Family and friends understand and find it comical after awhile.

Cooking is the funnest part. Made a Gluten free/dairy free crust less Pumpkin Pie this weekend. It was awesome. cost me maybe 4 bucks total.

-Phil

Last edited by speedcrazy1532; 08-17-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #46
ghorn

Quote:
Generally I've been met with curiosity at peoples houses. I've also been coddled which I put to a stop immediately. My attitude is that of the "idgaf" variety
Totally. I feel like I'm being asked to give a lecture on it or something, haha. Ppl seem honestly interested in it, though.

Quote:
In restaurants it's different though. I've been met with everything from total clueless looks to outright hatred. One hostess gave me outright attitude about it; her manager was standing behind her. Should have been there to witness the backpedaling .
It's always interesting to me to see how they react. The clueless looks definitely make me worry!

Quote:
Cheeseburger in Paradise(GF Burgers)
J.B Dawsons (Nice GF menu/pasta)
Red Robin (GF Fries + Lettuce burgers)
Friday's (Not my first choice)
Uno's (GF Pizza)
GF fries are soo hard to some by out at restaurants it seems. Sucks b/c I'm a FF fiend! Love 'em.

Quote:
Cooking is the funnest part. Made a Gluten free/dairy free crust less Pumpkin Pie this weekend. It was awesome. cost me maybe 4 bucks total.
Damn! You're way more pro than I am. I need to come eat at your house!

Quote:
Old 08-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #47
speedcrazy1532

Quote:
Totally. I feel like I'm being asked to give a lecture on it or something, haha. Ppl seem honestly interested in it, though.
I try to do the best I can explaining. I usually skip straight to the fun stuff like giving them examples of stuff that they probably would immediately dismiss as being wheat free.

Quote:
It's always interesting to me to see how they react. The clueless looks definitely make me worry!
Yup, last time I ate out the waitress was like "Is that menu ours? I've never seen that before."

Quote:
GF fries are soo hard to some by out at restaurants it seems. Sucks b/c I'm a FF fiend! Love 'em.
Red Robin is the only one I've found. They have a separate fryer that only the fries are done in.

Quote:
Damn! You're way more pro than I am. I need to come eat at your house!
I actually intimidate most girls I date. As I place the food in front of them I like to think in my head "See, I really don't need you."

-Phil
Old 08-17-2011, 03:44 PM   #48
ghorn

Quote:
Yup, last time I ate out the waitress was like "Is that menu ours? I've never seen that before."

Quote:
I actually intimidate most girls I date. As I place the food in front of them I like to think in my head "See, I really don't need you."
Hahaha. Yeah, my girl has definitely benefited from all the cooking I've been doing. And, thankfully, she's been all about learning to make g-free meals, too.

Quote:
Old 08-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #49
DylloS

have you guys ever had someone at a restaurant lie to you in order to keep you happy and think what they were serving was GF?
Old 08-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #50
ghorn

Quote:
have you guys ever had someone at a restaurant lie to you in order to keep you happy and think what they were serving was GF?
Not knowingly, to my knowledge. Usually it's just ignorance on their part. I've caught ppl trying to suggest something to me that wasn't gf, but it didn't seem to be intentional.

edit:

Heard about this story a little while back, but I doubt (or at least hope) it's not commonplace:

Quote:
Gluten-free Nation, you should be rightly shocked, dismayed and FURIOUS! A chef in Glenwood Springs, Colorado is poisoning you;and bragging about it.

Chef Damian Cardone is wantonly feeding gluten pasta to patrons who request gluten-free food according to a post on his Facebook page.

Cardone was deliberately feeding high gluten food to people as of March 10 according the dates on comments to his post.
It gets worse. Cardone seems to relish his campaign to feed gluten-free individuals gluten;even on the one holiday many people enjoy in restaurants.

In a February 10 post, Cardone states, "May god help the Liberal hippie idiot whos going to ask for gluten free pasta this weekend."

http://glutenfreeworks.com/blog/2011...-gluten-pasta/
That's just fvcked up!

Quote:

Last edited by ghorn; 08-17-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:34 AM   #51
speedcrazy1532

Quote:
Not knowingly, to my knowledge. Usually it's just ignorance on their part. I've caught ppl trying to suggest something to me that wasn't gf, but it didn't seem to be intentional.

edit:

Heard about this story a little while back, but I doubt (or at least hope) it's not commonplace:

That's just fvcked up!
lol, and may God help the chef when a nice Jewish lawyer pays a visit to his restaurant.

-Phil
Old 08-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #52
DylloS

Quote:

edit:

That's just fvcked up!
I love how if you're gluten free you're a liberal hippie lol.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #53
speedcrazy1532

Quote:
I love how if you're gluten free you're a liberal hippie lol.
Yeah that guy is just purely ignorant and has no idea that some people have a serious issue.

And personally when I think of a hippie I immediately think of granola bars and Subaru's. No?

-Phil
Old 08-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #54
ghorn

Quote:
Yeah that guy is just purely ignorant and has no idea that some people have a serious issue.

And personally when I think of a hippie I immediately think of granola bars and Subaru's. No?
Seriously. Guy needs to be smacked upside the head

Quote:
Old 08-19-2011, 09:40 AM   #55
speedcrazy1532

Looks like a total toolbag anyhow.

Ordered a new rice cooker.

http://www.amazon.com/Oster-3-Cups-U...uct/B001KBY9M8

Stylish I know.

trying another pie this weekend. Coconut Custard.

-Phil
Old 08-19-2011, 09:50 AM   #56
DylloS

this guy is an assh0le

Old 08-19-2011, 10:13 AM   #57
ghorn

^:facpalm:

Quote:
Looks like a total toolbag anyhow.

Ordered a new rice cooker.

http://www.amazon.com/Oster-3-Cups-U...uct/B001KBY9M8

Stylish I know.

trying another pie this weekend. Coconut Custard.
Niiice pick-up.

Coconut Custard? You're officially a chef at this point!

Quote:
Old 08-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #58
speedcrazy1532

Quote:
this guy is an assh0le

*******_chef.jpg
I'm usually leery of people with goatee's. Especially women.

-Phil
Old 08-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #59
speedcrazy1532

Quote:
^:facpalm:

Niiice pick-up.

Coconut Custard? You're officially a chef at this point!

-Phil
Old 08-21-2011, 10:09 PM   #60
DarkJoker

My Ride: 01 330ci
i recently(about 4 months ago) found this out through self diagnosis as well through reading about things and adjusting my diet as needed for 2 weeks as a trial period(just started a new job and i dont have insurance yet)
had stomach problems for years upon years and progressively got worse

im also lactose intolerant as well as far as i know(figured that out around 18 years old)
now whether i have celiac or a gluten intolerance im not sure and now im also unsure of the lactose intolerance since the symptoms are so similar

all that i know is that once i figured it out it was like a whole new world
immediately felt better
stomach issues were on a decline but still linger as im adjusting and figuring out more and more
it is a pain to go out to dinner with friends as i have to research it before i make the plans or i just dont eat or ill snack before hand

the symptoms were constant gas/bloated feeling and on the throne a ludacrious amount thought the day
i pretty much shut down everything in my life because of my stomach and now im slowly phasing back into things as it can be more predictable(hated road trips with friends as for stopping reasons and such with amount of times)

it is a life changer ill say that