E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #61
speedcrazy1532

My Ride: is over
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJoker View Post
i recently(about 4 months ago) found this out through self diagnosis as well through reading about things and adjusting my diet as needed for 2 weeks as a trial period(just started a new job and i dont have insurance yet)
had stomach problems for years upon years and progressively got worse

im also lactose intolerant as well as far as i know(figured that out around 18 years old)
now whether i have celiac or a gluten intolerance im not sure and now im also unsure of the lactose intolerance since the symptoms are so similar

all that i know is that once i figured it out it was like a whole new world
immediately felt better
stomach issues were on a decline but still linger as im adjusting and figuring out more and more
it is a pain to go out to dinner with friends as i have to research it before i make the plans or i just dont eat or ill snack before hand

the symptoms were constant gas/bloated feeling and on the throne a ludacrious amount thought the day
i pretty much shut down everything in my life because of my stomach and now im slowly phasing back into things as it can be more predictable(hated road trips with friends as for stopping reasons and such with amount of times)

it is a life changer ill say that

Yeah that was me, I'm getting better to. I never had the bathroom problem which is strange from what I've read but everyone is different. Good luck and keep checking back.

-Phil
speedcrazy1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #62
speedcrazy1532

Coconut Custard came out bossy as fvck:

Ask about me

-Phil
Old 08-29-2011, 10:50 AM   #63
speedcrazy1532

Made the Chocolate Cake mix from Bob's Red Mill this weekend. Awesome stuff. I would have taken a pic but by the time I thought of it the cake was 3/4's of the way gone.

-Phil
Old 08-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #64
fugarza

My Ride: 330i, R6
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcrazy1532 View Post
Coconut Custard came out bossy as fvck:

Ask about me
Looks good! What's the recipe?
Old 08-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #65
speedcrazy1532

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugarza View Post
Looks good! What's the recipe?
3 large eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons sweet rice flour
2 tablespoons tapioca starch (see note)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups light canned coconut milk
2 tablespoons softened dairy free butter substitute (I used Earth Balance Vegan Sticks)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut
Note: You can substitute 1/4 cup of your favorite gluten-free flour blend in this recipe, preferably one without added xanthan or guar gum.
Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 F / 176 C
Beat eggs with sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add gluten-free flours, vanilla, coconut milk, softened dairy free butter substitute, salt, and flaked coconut. Beat just until ingredients are combined.

Pour pie mixture into an ungreased 9-inch pie plate. Bake in preheated oven until custard is set and coconut turns golden brown, about 45 minutes.

Serves 8

http://glutenfreecooking.about.com/o...tpierecipe.htm

I'm working on trying to make it more custard-like. It's good like it is though.

-Phil
Old 09-23-2011, 11:51 AM   #66
speedcrazy1532

I'm logging this because I feel it could be beneficial for someone in the future.

So I'm coming to realize that much of my digestive problems may actually be anxiety. When I began the GF diet I immediately felt better. I believe that the "discovery" of what was wrong with me gave me a brief reprieve from my issues.

Now I'm pretty much back to having the same issues I've had but not as severe but I'm still on the GF diet. I've stopped drinking alcohol entirely for 2+ months now. This could be the reason that I don't feel quite as bad as I did before. Alcohol actually causes you to become anxious once you stop drinking, so since going on a hiatus I have lessened my potential for anxiety and my symptoms aren't as severe.

I've ran through a ton of different options and nothing really seems to fit with one exception being a gallbladder that doesn't work. Since it's main use is breaking down fatty foods I once again abstained from those but the symptoms still persisted. I also don't have any pain on my right side or tenderness which is a sign of gallbladder issues.

Anyhow, I'm not an anxious person like you would imagine someone with ADD etc to be. However until recently my life usually resided at redline: ie, college, work, family issues, car issues, friend + relationship issues, sleeping 5 hours a day etc. My life is now school free and I think that because I was always so keyed up meeting all of those obligations my body adjusted to dealing with it and now feels a need to be in that state constantly. I find myself constantly having some part of my body tense, sitting in a tense posture, setting deadlines or timelines that aren't really necessary. I think I'm so used to being at the redline that I'm having issues not being there. I've had numerous GF's tell me that I don't spend enough time in bed/relaxing etc. Friends have told me I'm out of my mind with all the crap I try to fit in a day or all the things I try to manage at once.

So from here on out I'm going to pay careful attention to these things and see where that gets me as far as relaxing. I actually used regular milk in my cereal this morning and didn't have a single issue. I haven't done that in 3 months.

Cliffs: Your stomach issues could be your nerves. I'm going back to the IDGAF attitude.

-Phil
Old 09-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #67
ghorn

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
I'm logging this because I feel it could be beneficial for someone in the future.

So I'm coming to realize that much of my digestive problems may actually be anxiety. When I began the GF diet I immediately felt better. I believe that the "discovery" of what was wrong with me gave me a brief reprieve from my issues.

Now I'm pretty much back to having the same issues I've had but not as severe but I'm still on the GF diet. I've stopped drinking alcohol entirely for 2+ months now. This could be the reason that I don't feel quite as bad as I did before. Alcohol actually causes you to become anxious once you stop drinking, so since going on a hiatus I have lessened my potential for anxiety and my symptoms aren't as severe.

I've ran through a ton of different options and nothing really seems to fit with one exception being a gallbladder that doesn't work. Since it's main use is breaking down fatty foods I once again abstained from those but the symptoms still persisted. I also don't have any pain on my right side or tenderness which is a sign of gallbladder issues.

Anyhow, I'm not an anxious person like you would imagine someone with ADD etc to be. However until recently my life usually resided at redline: ie, college, work, family issues, car issues, friend + relationship issues, sleeping 5 hours a day etc. My life is now school free and I think that because I was always so keyed up meeting all of those obligations my body adjusted to dealing with it and now feels a need to be in that state constantly. I find myself constantly having some part of my body tense, sitting in a tense posture, setting deadlines or timelines that aren't really necessary. I think I'm so used to being at the redline that I'm having issues not being there. I've had numerous GF's tell me that I don't spend enough time in bed/relaxing etc. Friends have told me I'm out of my mind with all the crap I try to fit in a day or all the things I try to manage at once.

So from here on out I'm going to pay careful attention to these things and see where that gets me as far as relaxing. I actually used regular milk in my cereal this morning and didn't have a single issue. I haven't done that in 3 months.

Cliffs: Your stomach issues could be your nerves. I'm going back to the IDGAF attitude.
That's interesting. Anxiety can definitely mess w/your stomach. As for reintroducing things into your diet (like milk, as you mentioned), I ended up reintroducing things that initially messed me up in the months following g-free--corn & dairy for example. So that may be part of it, too. Your system readjusts and can tolerate things that it couldn't when you were still moving over to a g-free diet.

In any case, hopefully you can find some relief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.
ghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #68
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
I can't help but always thinking of you guys calling this the girlfriend diet when I see GF
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #69
ghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I can't help but always thinking of you guys calling this the girlfriend diet when I see GF
Hahahaha. That's what got me to switch to using g-free as an abbrev.

Quote:
Old 09-23-2011, 03:13 PM   #70
speedcrazy1532

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghorn View Post
That's interesting. Anxiety can definitely mess w/your stomach. As for reintroducing things into your diet (like milk, as you mentioned), I ended up reintroducing things that initially messed me up in the months following g-free--corn & dairy for example. So that may be part of it, too. Your system readjusts and can tolerate things that it couldn't when you were still moving over to a g-free diet.

In any case, hopefully you can find some relief!
Hopefully lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Shut it Solly I'm not changing my abbreviation to appease your ass.

-Phil
Old 05-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #71
ghorn

FINALLY found a great tasting gfree beer. It actually reminds me of a light IPA--by far my favorite beer. I never thought I'd be able to enjoy a tasty beer again!!

Quote:
Old 05-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #72
speedcrazy1532

Quote:

FINALLY found a great tasting gfree beer. It actually reminds me of a light IPA--by far my favorite beer. I never thought I'd be able to enjoy a tasty beer again!!

Dude, pretty sure I told you about this way back. Did you try New Grist as well? There are a few in my local beer store that I haven't tried since I went of gluten free. If you're interested in me mailing them to you LMK man.

-Phil
Old 05-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #73
ghorn

Quote:
Dude, pretty sure I told you about this way back. Did you try New Grist as well? There are a few in my local beer store that I haven't tried since I went of gluten free. If you're interested in me mailing them to you LMK man.
I wouldn't be surprised if you did. Shame on me. I honestly did not think they could make one that tasted good, so like a moron I prob ignored it. Haven't tried/seen New Grist yet. But just called a local place (w/a huge selection) and they carry it. This time I will heed your advice, haha.

Quote:
Old 05-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #74
speedcrazy1532

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if you did. Shame on me. I honestly did not think they could make one that tasted good, so like a moron I prob ignored it. Haven't tried/seen New Grist yet. But just called a local place (w/a huge selection) and they carry it. This time I will heed your advice, haha.
lol no problem man. You didn't like the gym sweat sock taste of Redbridge?

Seriously though the beer store near me has at least 4 different kinds of gluten free beers I've never tried and if you ever want me to pick them up and send them to you I can do that.

-Phil
Old 05-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #75
ghorn

Quote:
lol no problem man. You didn't like the gym sweat sock taste of Redbridge?

Seriously though the beer store near me has at least 4 different kinds of gluten free beers I've never tried and if you ever want me to pick them up and send them to you I can do that.
Redbridge So bad.

Damn, that's impressive. Thanks! May have to take you up on that.

Quote:
Old 05-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #76
speedcrazy1532

Quote:
Redbridge So bad.

Damn, that's impressive. Thanks! May have to take you up on that.
Seriously Let me know. I've gotten beers to the west coast no problem.

-Phil
Old 07-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #77
ghorn

Finally tried New Grist. I dig it. Reminds me of Amstel. But I still like Bard's more--reminds me more of an IPA, my long lost love.

Quote:
Old 09-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #78
ghorn

God, I fvcking hate having to go out for lunch at work. I'm the "guy with an allergy" (well, not an allergy, but w/e) so they look to me to choose a place. Fine, but they don't want to eat where I'd want to eat; and/or the places I'd like to go are too far from the office. So we're going to some lame Italian restaurant where I'll get some weak ass salad. I'd rather just get my work out in, per usual, and have some deli turkey.

Quote:
Old 09-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #79
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
I'm not how it is in the states, but almost every place I eat out at I've noticed a distinct change in the past 6-12 months, the gluten free movement is in full force here.

I feel bad for celiacs / gluten sensitive individuals however considering wheat products are in EVERYTHING. Much like corn, wheat seems to be used in just about every off the shelf product.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #80
ghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
I'm not how it is in the states, but almost every place I eat out at I've noticed a distinct change in the past 6-12 months, the gluten free movement is in full force here.

I feel bad for celiacs / gluten sensitive individuals however considering wheat products are in EVERYTHING. Much like corn, wheat seems to be used in just about every off the shelf product.
Yeah, you are seeing a lot more places try to offer gfree options. Unfortunately, some are rushing to do so without properly educating their staff. But I'm glad it's heading in the right direction.

Quote: