E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
Wake2blake

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP imola
Replacing lower control arm and rear diff bushings

I have a 2004 ZHP 330i sedan. The lower control arm bushings as well as the rear differential bushing need to be replaced. I want to make sure that the ZHP performance package does not require a different bushing from other e46 330i's.

Also, if you have had this serviced on your car, about how much did it cost total? I just called BMW and they wanted $270 for the parts and $700 for the service; seems crazy to me. I am waiting on quotes from two different local shops.

Thanks in advance.
Wake2blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
skibum325iT

My Ride: 325iT
I received a quote for $840 total for a 325i Lower front control arms and bushings. Did it myself for about $420 in parts
skibum325iT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
G-Hots

My Ride: ///M3 & 328ci & X3
Send a message via AIM to G-Hots Send a message via MSN to G-Hots
diff. bushings are not the easiest thing to replace seems reasonable to me.
for the front control arm bushings, its a easy DIY and there are plenty of step by step DIY's for it
G-Hots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
Wake2blake

How difficult is it to replace just the bushings by yourself?
Old 06-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #5
doshu

My Ride: E46 CI
Send a message via AIM to doshu
DIY I say, with powerflex bushings, unless you strictly prefer OEM. Little on the pricey side but will last a lot longer.

Local shops will charge a little less, but none of that will match the quality of the work you can do for your car. Both jobs technically easy, just require a lot of patience, because its mostly removing the bushings. Special tools make it very easy, but buying those is the same as going to dealer to service your car.

I sometimes think BMW came up with FCABs, RTABs and etc. just so they can feed their dealers, that and the ride quality.

Last edited by doshu; 06-28-2011 at 12:18 PM.
doshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
Wake2blake

Quote:
Originally Posted by doshu View Post
DIY I say, with powerflex bushings, unless you strictly prefer OEM. Little on the pricey side but will last a lot longer.

Local shops will charge a little less, but none of that will match the quality of the work you can do for your car. Both jobs technically easy, just require a lot of patience, because its mostly removing the bushings. Special tools make it very easy, but buying those is the same as going to dealer to service your car.

I sometimes think BMW came up with FCABs, RTABs and etc. just so they can feed their dealers, that and the ride quality.
What special tools are you referring to? I am really considering DIY

I probably will go with powerflex bushings, but i guess i need to buy the mounting brackets for it.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #7
Wake2blake

Just got this quote from a local shop:
Front Control Arm Bushings $130
Labor $105

Differential Bushing $50
Labor $420

Does this seem reasonable?
Old 06-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #8
doshu

My Ride: E46 CI
Send a message via AIM to doshu
Just tools to pull/push bushings, you can get away with 3 jaw Puller and I have done it just takes a lot longer and requires patience. You can Google BMW special tools and you will come across them, both these jobs have diys in DIY section as well..

It took me 5 hours to remove and install fcabs with Puller, half an hour with specific tool so I can tell you first hand tell you, learn because they will need to be changed again..

Also if you have dremel you can use the old brackets by removing the worn bushings..

Last edited by doshu; 06-28-2011 at 03:51 PM.
doshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
My guess is that is reasonable labor for the FCABs but a bit high for the rear diff bushing. Looks like $105/hour with one hour for FCABs and 4 hours for diff bushings. I think replacing only the rear (big) diff bushing would take a good shop only 2-3 hours if they have the right bushing tool, though it's possible book time for the job is 4 hours. If they don't remove the diff, I think they have to drain the diff, remove rear diff cover, change bushing, seal up diff cover with RTV, then refill it. Don't remember if they have to disconnect the rear swaybar or not to get to it.

If $420 labor is for all three rear diff bushings, then that sound like a really good deal because the shop will have to disconnect the half-shafts and driveshaft, remove reinforcement bracket in front of the diff, drop the diff, press out 3 old bushings, press in 3 new bushings, and put everything back together. Plus $50 sounds like a good deal for 3 diff bushings (check which ones you're getting--BMW, Myele, or cheap aftermarket ones). If you gave me air tools, a lift and the right bushing tools, I would need at least 6 or 7 hours to change all 3, but then I'm a pretty slow mechanic.
LivesNearCostco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #10
Wake2blake

Thanks for all your replies.

I have a mechanic who will do it for a better price, but he is jammed busy right now.
How bad is it to drive the car like this for a couple more weeks? I have seen the bushings and they are well worn out.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:50 PM   #11
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
i buy the diff and cab for 120 oem and have my guy install them both for 200
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:12 AM   #12
christiandflores

My Ride: BMW M3 E46
do any of you guys know if improperly installing a control arm bushing can cause clunking? i think mine wasn't set in deep enough
christiandflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:00 AM   #13
mack89

My Ride: '02 TIAG 330i 5spd
^if bushings were not installed deep enough, I think they would've known something was not right during the re-installation procedure. Both sets of ball joints won't fit in correctly..
How exactly does your car make clunking noise? When you drive over speed bump? Or when you turn your wheels?

Last edited by mack89; 07-27-2011 at 04:01 AM.
mack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #14
christiandflores

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack89 View Post
^if bushings were not installed deep enough, I think they would've known something was not right during the re-installation procedure. Both sets of ball joints won't fit in correctly..
How exactly does your car make clunking noise? When you drive over speed bump? Or when you turn your wheels?
I fit then in during auto class with some friends help, just bushings. The car clunks in braking, bumps and rough roads. Mostly noticible in crappy parking lots. No clunking though when I turn the wheel
Old 07-27-2011, 06:18 PM   #15
christiandflores

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack89 View Post
I'm using power flex bushings, the purple part popped out on the from the black part, the ones on the right seems like its about to pop out 2
Old 07-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #16
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiandflores View Post
I'm using power flex bushings, the purple part popped out on the from the black part, the ones on the right seems like its about to pop out 2
Ah, that sounds like installation error. I've read of a few others here who had issues with the direction they're pressed in...or with the grease that's supposed to be in one place, but got someplace else.

I think you have them in backward, maybe? Doublecheck the website.

I know other bushings get messed up when removing them, so just pull them off nicely with lubricant, as i'm sure you'll need to get them off to fix them.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:31 PM   #17
christiandflores

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Ah, that sounds like installation error. I've read of a few others here who had issues with the direction they're pressed in...or with the grease that's supposed to be in one place, but got someplace else.

I think you have them in backward, maybe? Doublecheck the website.

I know other bushings get messed up when removing them, so just pull them off nicely with lubricant, as i'm sure you'll need to get them off to fix them.
I read through saw some pix and diagrams and they're definitely the wrong way. Hopefully some will work.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #18
myles01

My Ride: 330i 02'
I have had my lower control arm bushings replaced 3 times in 6 months. They keep breaking after 5,000 miles. Someone said I should have the chassis looked at in case it was bent. I have owned the car for 4 years and the first pair that was put on lasted forever. Do you think this is just an installation error or there could possibly something wrong with the car chassis? I'm really frustrated and confused. Way too much money on the same thing.
myles01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #19
christiandflores

Quote:
Originally Posted by myles01 View Post
I have had my lower control arm bushings replaced 3 times in 6 months. They keep breaking after 5,000 miles. Someone said I should have the chassis looked at in case it was bent. I have owned the car for 4 years and the first pair that was put on lasted forever. Do you think this is just an installation error or there could possibly something wrong with the car chassis? I'm really frustrated and confused. Way too much money on the same thing.
3 times, defintiley too much. what kind were the ones you put on the first time, and the times after? if it was an installation error, you'd definitley notice the super loose steering, especially when braking. i put on polyurethane ones last summer, and they're still working fine
Old 01-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #20
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Breaking, that's interesting. What do you mean exactly by breaking? And are you putting in oem?
How's the rest of your suspension? shocks and springs stock? Worn? Mileage on car? Ever had a major bump in the road you hit or pothole?
Condition of ball joints?
Think hard about anything else that might affect this area that is not normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myles01 View Post
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lower control arm, rear differential bushing, service, zhp