E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Unhappy Car is seriously hemorrhaging lots of oil! Take a look at this picture! Opinions?

I went to move my car today after a few days of it being parked and found this which was not there before. I have no oil warning lamps but my oil level is definitely on the low end of the normal range.

VCG was already changed in April and there haven't been any serious drips.

Is this the Oil Filter Housing Gasket (OFHG) or Oil Pressure Control Valves (CCV) or both?

I'm concerned because it seems to be a lot more oil than those items usually leak out.

6/30 EDIT:
please look at this video and give opinions:

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 06-29-2011 at 10:31 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Just after you were bragging about it's 10th birthday and this happens.
Keep driving it, only way to find is to look under the car.
MercForHire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
Eliott's-BMW

My Ride: E46 3-Pedal Mafia
Ofhg...

"May GOD grant you DOUBLE the amount you wish upon me!"
Eliott's-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
doshu

My Ride: E46 CI
Send a message via AIM to doshu
Looking at the picture it does not look like oil stain, not dark enough (looking at the picture anyways). Are you sure its engine oil and not transmission, or power steering or coolant? It looks pretty fresh for a car thats been parked for so long..

Problem you cant identify? Now your car is officially 10 years old. Bimmer > You

Last edited by doshu; 06-28-2011 at 08:33 PM.
doshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliott's-BMW View Post
Ofhg...
Do you OFHG as in Oil Filter Housing Gasket or Ohmy Fcuking Holy Gawd?

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
After making sure it is oil, just check other fluid levels too.

ofhg is good, and vanos oil line is also good for large amounts, and even though you wouldn't think it, I've seen leaks from properly placed oil filter 0-rings that had sat for too long and got flat.

You're in shock, I know, but after the Jack Daniels and comforting from the missus, get in there with the xl50 and diagnose. Clean what you need to...remove underskirt, engine degreaser, rinse, repeat, drive, xl50!

CCV will allow a lot of oil to get through the engine somehow (past rings I think), but it doesn't really drip that much that I've seen or read of. I had a cracked hose and it was dripping a little, but not much really at all. You'll probably find oil residue around it anyway, which might be blow back.

I'm seeing Marissa Tomei in that oil spill; I think that's a good sign!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
ac_2007
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Clean everything with engine cleaner/ degreaser, drive it around, and check for leak location..

^ beat me to it..
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #8
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Sure its not PS fluid?

Sent from my X10a using Bimmer App

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
rizwan1377

My Ride: 04 M56,LC 100,RX300
Send a message via AIM to rizwan1377 Send a message via MSN to rizwan1377 Send a message via Yahoo to rizwan1377
Are you sure that its oil?
Old 06-28-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
dmax

Maybe it's another fluid? Have you tasted it to make sure it's not water? Do you have leftover from prior fills like me so you can comparison taste?

Dab on paper towel and see if you pick up any reddish color or nutty aftertaste and begin to feel an undertone of power.

Is this the spot you always park on? If it's slanted, it may just be that stuff that had accumulated for a while dripped off (trying to be optimistic).

Have you been facing Munich and saying your prayers, btw? Last time you washed it?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 06-28-2011, 09:07 PM   #11
doshu

My Ride: E46 CI
Send a message via AIM to doshu
Quote:
Maybe it's another fluid? Have you tasted it to make sure it's not water?
Taste it, and if its sweet, its your coolant, at that point stop worrying about the car and go to the emergency room as it is highly poisonous.

Seriously, you guys need to stop tasting fluids, its something so dumb that only a guy like me does it..

Last edited by doshu; 06-28-2011 at 09:12 PM.
doshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:08 PM   #12
mkodama

He leakin!

Yeah, clean up the underside of your engine bay, go for a slow drive around with neighborhood without going too fast, just enough to give the oil time to heat up and thin out, then go jack up your car and look around.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:14 PM   #13
dmax

Maybe it's not oil, Del. Are you sure?

You have any friends who are in a University or in the FBI? Spectroanalyzer sort of thingy.

Do you have any enemies? Are you sure those are 'your' leaking fluids?

Did you and your precious maybe have a little fight involving which was better, MB or BMW?

A recent set

Old 06-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #14
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by doshu View Post
Taste it, and if its sweet, its your coolant, at that point stop worrying about the car and go to the emergency room as it is highly poisonous.

Seriously, you guys need to stop tasting fluids, its something so dumb that only a guy like me does it..

It's poisonous? Wouldn't they make a big label on the bottle saying not to use it as a shampoo if it was? I don't think so.

A recent set

Old 06-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #15
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
It's poisonous? Wouldn't they make a big label on the bottle saying not to use it as a shampoo if it was? I don't think so.
Yes, but not horribly so, and can be metabolized by the body so it's not like it stays in your system forever. It's known to be a cause of death of animals and small children due to its sweet taste and why most coolants have a horribly bittering additive to it now, and why it won't even taste sweet most of the time. It can cause damage to liver, kidneys, and central nervous system. Also a mutagen and teratogen.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:46 PM   #16
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Yes, but not horribly so, and can be metabolized by the body so it's not like it stays in your system forever. It's known to be a cause of death of animals and small children due to its sweet taste and why most coolants have a horribly bittering additive to it now, and why it won't even taste sweet most of the time. It can cause damage to liver, kidneys, and central nervous system. Also a mutagen and teratogen.
teratogen...love new words. Does that mean I shouldn't use it as a shampoo or dessert topping? I've tasted a little bit a few times, rarely intentionally over ice, and I don't ever feel muted at all. Maybe I'm immune?

A recent set

Old 06-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #17
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
While it's poisonous by itself, its metabolic byproducts are mostly responsible for the toxic effects associated with ethylene glycol. If it wasn't metabolized by the body, it probably wouldn't be as harmful.

Some quick wiki-ing indicates that it doesn't take much to require medical attention. .1mL/kg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
teratogen...love new words. Does that mean I shouldn't use it as a shampoo or dessert topping? I've tasted a little bit a few times, rarely intentionally over ice, and I don't ever feel muted at all. Maybe I'm immune?

A teratogen is something that can cause birth defects (and presumably still-births)

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 06-28-2011 at 10:03 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:58 PM   #18
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Well it's poisonous because of what it gets metabolized into. If it wasn't metabolized by the body, it'd probably just pass through doing little to no harm.

A teratogen is something that can cause birth defects (and presumably still-births)
The fact that it can be quickly metabolized and takes a relatively large amount to be lethal sounds good in my ears. Knowing you just inhaled something that will not leave your body for the next few years or possibly your life and will cause small amounts of damage for the remainder of that time is not a very nice thought.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:04 PM   #19
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
The fact that it can be quickly metabolized and takes a relatively large amount to be lethal sounds good in my ears. Knowing you just inhaled something that will not leave your body for the next few years or possibly your life and will cause small amounts of damage for the remainder of that time is not a very nice thought.
Something not getting metabolized doesn't mean it'll stay in your body for years. There are plenty of things that we can injest or inhale that just pass through. Ethylene glycol is water soluble - Assuming your kidneys are doing their job, you'd probably just piss it out if it weren't metabolized into the more toxic byproducts.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 06-28-2011 at 10:12 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #20
mkodama

Yes, I know that, and not disagreeing with you there. But there are somethings that don't leave your body quickly and some things that are very toxic in small amounts and I was just saying I don't like those. I deal with a lot of welding so chronic exposure to certain substances and metal fume inhalation are something I very much so like to avoid.