E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 07:15 PM   #41
doshu

My Ride: E46 CI
Send a message via AIM to doshu
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Crocs, ftw, also in all the colors of the rainbow!

Joking aside, that doesnt look like oil to me or PS fluid, and if it is up front near the expansion tank, all I can think about is there is a crack, check your coolant levels and what not.. That also means to me its not condensation as it happens near transmission in the center of the car..

If that was PS fluid you would have definitely noticed, washer fluid is easy to figure out.
doshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:32 PM   #42
steveninchicago

My Ride: 2003 325i
Looks like transmission fluid to me. Can you get under the car and check?
steveninchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #43
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Del,

If you're going to do this yourself...still not clear on whether someone has your car, but if you are, and aren't that far from NYC, I'd be happy to find time to bring my xl50 along with my taste buds and figure out what that is.

BTW, water would not necessarily dry up overnight, so I haven't ruled out the best for you...just condensate...and fanatic's style humiliation!

Seriously, though, I'd be happy to try to make time for you and help if I can.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #44
delmarco

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
please look at this video and give opinions:

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:06 AM   #45
doshu

My Ride: E46 CI
Send a message via AIM to doshu
great vid

4 and 5 are oil cooling pipes from transmission, one in and one out as you see in diagram (sorry I said expansion tank because I thought you had manual) you showed them under the car.

You were pointing at number 10 and 11 the connection from power steering to coolant thank, the fluid goes through the cooling coil and goes back into the system, just like the tranny.

Keep us posted and wish you luck!

Last edited by doshu; 06-30-2011 at 12:52 AM.
doshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:48 AM   #46
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Wow del with that amount of fluid coming out you would think that if it was coming from the power steering unit that it would be bone dry by now. You have looked at the level right? To me, as clear as the liquid is, just playing the guessing game here, it looks like ATF and the only two places it can come from are the power steering or the transmission.

You could put some rags behind what your working on to protect and spray down all the leaky oily hoses with brake clearner and wipe it down until every thing is back to a non-gloss black appearance and then drive it around the block and take another look.

GL

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:41 AM   #47
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Olaf, if the hoses and fittings that you're pointing to from 2:10 onward are leaking, then there's a chance that you're leaking transmission fluid... I agree with TitaniumCranium in that if all of that fluid was PS fluid, it would've probably been dry by now. I would be careful driving the car until you can confirm that you're definitely not losing ATF from the tranny itself.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:58 AM   #48
dmax

Yea, nice vid, Olaf. Would watch again!

Some thoughts:

If there's any fluid at the very top of the hoses coming from the PS reservoir, then you can either replace both hoses or just trim off the top 1/2" of hose, push it up a little and install new screw clamps. Same on the larger of those hoses where it meets the PS pump. Fluid will also drip from reservoir cap, catch the 'mesh' cover on the larger hose and follow it all the way down.

Where the PS hoses meet the two connections next to the radiator, they're not going into the radiator, just into that "U" shaped cooling pipe.

I don't think all your fluid leaked from any of these hoses, but, coming out of the PS pump, it'd be high pressure, and if any of your crimps on the crimped hoses has failed, then, when using the Power Steering, you might see a greater volume coming out. So, you might try starting the car, having someone turn the wheel while you look for a more active leak. (Make sure she doesn't put it in drive!)

I'm not sure exactly how the bracket on the ET is different for the auto trans, but I know it is...and you have a trans. thermostat too iirc. Maybe you should have her try putting it in drive, but remind her to keep the brake on...but I don't know if that would attenuate the rate of leaking you get or not. As you said, it will pool on underskirt and then drain off on a sloped driveway, so again, this might be accumulation from some period of time...maybe, don't know if your car had been parked on the same slope the night before or not.

Now you seem to be totally after a PS fluid leak, so I'll just remind you nicely to be careful about assuming anything...one fluid, one source, etc...though it probably is.

If PS, then from what I hear, refilling and bleeding is easy...just turn wheel to full lock a few times on both sides and keep reservoir filled as you're doing so.

Good luck! (By the way, you know, you could have easily opened up the trunk to video your battery...you know how I love looking at them!

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 06-30-2011, 09:26 AM   #49
delmarco

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
The Power Steering Reservoir was actually on level and filled when I checked and I don't think the guy at the shop would've filled it. Mmmmmmm.

I'm getting all those hoses replaced today and keeping my fingers crossed that it is not the tranny that is the problem

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #50
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Something not getting metabolized doesn't mean it'll stay in your body for years. There are plenty of things that we can injest or inhale that just pass through. Ethylene glycol is water soluble - Assuming your kidneys are doing their job, you'd probably just piss it out if it weren't metabolized into the more toxic byproducts.

///M
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #51
dmax

Thinking of you and your spill, Olaf. You know any more?

You know there are maybe 5 or 6 here that'd do anything to help you! I can help you search for them if you want!

A recent set

Old 07-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #52
SHK&BAK3

My Ride: rustles jimmies
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M=Power View Post
Normally people that are in the ER for ingesting coolant are given alcohol b/c one interacts with the other or binds to some functional group on a molecule don't remember exactly but thought it was pretty cool.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:43 PM   #53
someguy_99

My Ride: E46,335Xi,Lambo,...
Is that a purple pen your using to point to the problem , theres your problem if it was blue i would of listened
someguy_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:28 AM   #54
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHK&BAK3 View Post
Normally people that are in the ER for ingesting coolant are given alcohol b/c one interacts with the other or binds to some functional group on a molecule don't remember exactly but thought it was pretty cool.
Ethanol and ethylene glycol are both somewhat similar structurally (ethylene glycol has the OH group on both carbons instead of just 1) and as such both are metabolized rather similarly. Thing is, ethylene glycol gets turned into toxic substances when metabolized, while ethanol gets turned into relatively harmless stuff. The reason giving large doses of ethanol as a treatment works is because it acts as a competitive inhibitor on the alcohol dehydrogenase enzyme (which processes alcohols including glycols/diols). If there is a ton more ethanol than ethylene glycol, then the probability for ethanol binding to enzymes is much greater than it is for ethylene glycol. So what ends up happening is you pee out the almost all of the ethylene glycol unmetabolized (like I mentioned earlier, if ethylene glycol wasn't metabolized, it wouldn't do much harm... in fact the toxic effects that are due to ethylene glycol alone are quite similar to the effects of ethanol)

This sort of treatment works for basically any alcohol poisoning that results from the alcohol getting metabolized into more dangerous substances (any alcohol besides ethanol itself)

(I realize this is completely off-topic. Sorry.)

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 07-02-2011 at 02:33 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:13 AM   #55
dmax

Del,

Here's a sure-fired solution for you...

Have an open house Fourth of July celebration and invite any fanatic who can make it...with tools! Hamburger (no cheese) and Mike's and I'm all over that leak!

...and no, I don't know where your rear seat armrest went!

A recent set

Old 07-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #56
dmax

Quote:
Ethanol and ethylene glycol are both somewhat similar structurally ...

Actually, very interesting to me. For those not following along, Terra is basically saying that the safest way to work on your cooling system is to be drunk while doing so...or at least, have had some alcohol before; during; and in event of accidental ingestion of coolant, then after.

Terra, just saying, but I wish you hadn't of written what you did now that I think about it. Don't we have enough issues coming on board here with cooling system work? Come Tuesday here, I'll bet you we have four or five cooling threads before noon!

A recent set

Old 07-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #57
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
there is a heat pipe that goes from your PS res to your radiator. the heat pipe sits directly in front of your radiator and is used to cool your PS system. since you like to retrofit stuff, i recommend retrofitting a dedicated PS cooler/radiator instead. the number one killer for our PS is heat. on the e39, e90, and every new model since the e46, BMW installed a power steering radiator and did not use the heat pipe.
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #58
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
there is a heat pipe that goes from your PS res to your radiator. the heat pipe sits directly in front of your radiator and is used to cool your PS system. since you like to retrofit stuff, i recommend retrofitting a dedicated PS cooler/radiator instead. the number one killer for our PS is heat. on the e39, e90, and every new model since the e46, BMW installed a power steering radiator and did not use the heat pipe.
PS seems pretty durable to me, Flash. I've only heard one other guy mention doing something about fitting a cooler there...and I believe he removed his pusher fan and needed to convert clutch fan to electric. Seems like a lot of work to change something that works fine.

Also, I don't think we know where the leak is coming from, but it sounds like you're sure he's lost PS. Did I miss that or are you 'just saying,' like I often do?

A recent set

Old 07-02-2011, 07:28 PM   #59
SHK&BAK3

My Ride: rustles jimmies
Quote:
Ethanol and ethylene glycol are both somewhat similar structurally (ethylene glycol has the OH group on both carbons instead of just 1) and as such both are metabolized rather similarly. Thing is, ethylene glycol gets turned into toxic substances when metabolized, while ethanol gets turned into relatively harmless stuff. The reason giving large doses of ethanol as a treatment works is because it acts as a competitive inhibitor on the alcohol dehydrogenase enzyme (which processes alcohols including glycols/diols). If there is a ton more ethanol than ethylene glycol, then the probability for ethanol binding to enzymes is much greater than it is for ethylene glycol. So what ends up happening is you pee out the almost all of the ethylene glycol unmetabolized (like I mentioned earlier, if ethylene glycol wasn't metabolized, it wouldn't do much harm... in fact the toxic effects that are due to ethylene glycol alone are quite similar to the effects of ethanol)

This sort of treatment works for basically any alcohol poisoning that results from the alcohol getting metabolized into more dangerous substances (any alcohol besides ethanol itself)

Exactly ... good memory refresher, are you perhaps a chemistry just curious?
Old 07-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #60
southpaw

My Ride: E36 M3 and E36 318ti
Don't you know? All the cool kids are drinking Prestone.

239whp/227wtq @2700lbs
southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote