E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
BLAU III

My Ride: eat's cars.
Just picked up a new toy...

A Glock 19. I traded in my Kahr P45 and picked up the G19. Took it to the range and put about 230 into the paper, the other 20 were just me being silly. (there are steel targets at 50/100 yrds and wanted to see if I could get there with this gun out of the box (I did))
A couple of questions....
1. What carry ammo do you guys use? This is my first 9mm....

2. Any suggestions on both an inside and an outside the waist band holster?

3. I have 3 15 rnd mags for this, are the 33 rnd mags usable or is it just something cool that will sit in the bottom of my range bag?

4. Any other "must have" accessories? I'm not one for fancy gizmos but I know the aftermarket is pretty crazy for these guns.

5. If I am looking at the gun from the floor, is there a plug or something that goes behind the mag to cover the backstrap? I find it odd that there is an open cavity...

6. Any other words of wisdom for someone new to the Glock family?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I would battle a pack of wolverines in a porta potty with my hand tied behind my back, yielding nothing but a shake weight taped to my forehead, just to hear her fart over a walkie talkie.

Last edited by BLAU III; 06-28-2011 at 08:30 PM.
BLAU III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAU III View Post
A Glock 19. I traded in my Kahr P45 and picked up the G19. Took it to the range and put about 230 into the paper, the other 20 were just me being silly. (there are steel targets at 50/100 yrds and wanted to see if I could get there with this gun out of the box (I did))

3. I have 3 15 rnd mags for this, are the 33 rnd mags usable or is it just something cool that will sit in the bottom of my range bag?

4. Any other "must have" accessories? I'm not one for fancy gizmos but I know the aftermarket is pretty crazy for these guns.

5. If I am looking at the gun from the floor, is there a plug or something that goes behind the mag to cover the backstrap? I find it odd that there is an open cavity...

1. Speer gold dot 9mm is my personal defense ammo.
2. IWB I use a comp-tac MTAC, OWB is a blackhawk serpa CQC paddle holster (or belt)
3. I have 17 rd mags for my Beretta full size and 13 rds for the subcompact, if you need more ammo then you need to reevaluate where you live or are visiting imo. That said, I strongly believe in carrying double digits worth of ammo.
4. "must have" is a NO from me. Unless you don't care for the sights. If you don't like them then get good night sights professionally installed.
5/6. I'm not a glock guy so I can't answer that or #6
Wraisil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
There are several good options, but testing has shown that the best 9mm rounds are 124gr +P loads. The 124gr +P loads are higher pressure, and the 124gr bullets have the benefit of a heavier weight than the 115gr bullets, but maintain supersonic velocity while the 147gr bullets don't. I used Speer Gold Dot 124gr+P, but I would also recommend Federal HST 124gr +P. Whatever you choose, use hollowpoints, and make sure they're bonded. Bonded bullets include:
Speer Gold Dot
Federal HST
Hornady TAP
Hornady Critical Defense
Remington Golden Saber Bonded
Winchester Bonded PDX
Winchester Bonded Ranger SXT
CorBon DPX

For an IWB, you have lots of options. I prefer "tuckable" holsters, as they offer the most concealability and are the most comfortable to wear. I am personally a fan of the Crossbreed SuperTuck, which is highly concealable and very comfortable. The Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC and Spartan are a similar design and will also work well. Galco makes an offering called the KingTuk, and supposedly lots of people have said that it's the most comfortable of all tuckable holsters.
For an OWB holster, you have a ton of options. I would recommend that you avoid most kinds of paddle holsters, as they then to stick out pretty far. A good leather holster will serve you well, and I personally prefer a high-ride holster for maximum concealment. Galco makes the best gunleather IMO. If you fancy a custom Kydex setup, look into Raven Concealment. Their Phantom and Eclipse holsters are very highly rated and they are very secure and concealable.
Stay away from the typical polymer holsters like Fobus and Blackhawk Serpa. They are really poor choices for carry use, IMO.

You can use any 9mm magazine from Glock, except the G26 mags. 15rds, 17rds, AND 33rds. 33rd mags are nice to have for the novelty of it, but they're not terribly practical in my view. I would recommend buying 17rd mags instead. Another option is putting on the Glock or Pearce magazine extensions onto your 15rd mags for a more feasible setup that also will look a bit more "integrated". Putting mag extensions on 15rd mags is also cheaper than buying 17rd mags. Still, 15rds is a lot of ammo, so for carry situations it's not exactly NEEDED to have more than that. It's all up to what you prefer. There really is no right or wrong answer.

Tritium night sights. They're a MUST HAVE for any carry gun. You have lots of options to choose from, but Trijicon and Meprolight are the best and most durable.
After that, the only other thing you need is a flashlight. One good idea is to carry a hand-held light like a SureFire G2X Tactical or 6PX Tactical, or some other bright light. If you fancy putting a weapon light on your pistol, like a Streamlight TLR-1S or SureFire X300, Raven Concealment makes holsters that will work with them attached.
One part that I love is the extended slide lock lever. It's a great purchase, and a huge improvement over the stock lever. Avoid other extended levers though, like the disassembly lever and the magazine release button. They get snagged on clothing and they also dig into your hand.
Glockmeister.com is the ultimate Glock mod sales site. You can find everything you want there, and I would highly recommend that you do check it out.

It was left like that to reduce weight. It's also open to allow you to attach a lanyard. If you want it closed, get a little Glock Plug. They're only a couple bucks and you can get them just about anywhere they sell handgun stuff. You can also get them online at Glockmeister, MidwayUSA, Brownells, etc.

The best investment you can make is on ammo and range time. Learn the weapon and how it works and shoots.
Cheers!

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel

Last edited by Reedo302; 06-28-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
BLAU III

My Ride: eat's cars.
Thanks for the detailed response Reedo. I will def look into those holsters and ammo.

I was thinking about the 17rd mag because i have a bit of pinky hang and this might be a good option so i don't feel the need to carry a 2nd mag. If i'm wearing casual shorts in the summer, it's kinda tought hide a gun to begin with and then throw in another loaded mag....

The gun I bought it a gen4 with the white outlines, are night sights really worth the hassel? the gun was spot on at the range today and I'm already much more comfortable with it. I would hate to loose the accuracy....

I assumed thats what that plug was for but wasn't positive. I was shocked when i did the take down, how heavy the slide is and how light the frame is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I would battle a pack of wolverines in a porta potty with my hand tied behind my back, yielding nothing but a shake weight taped to my forehead, just to hear her fart over a walkie talkie.
BLAU III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #5
Reedo302

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed response Reedo. I will def look into those holsters and ammo.

I was thinking about the 17rd mag because i have a bit of pinky hang and this might be a good option so i don't feel the need to carry a 2nd mag. If i'm wearing casual shorts in the summer, it's kinda tought hide a gun to begin with and then throw in another loaded mag....

The gun I bought it a gen4 with the white outlines, are night sights really worth the hassel? the gun was spot on at the range today and I'm already much more comfortable with it. I would hate to loose the accuracy....

I assumed thats what that plug was for but wasn't positive. I was shocked when i did the take down, how heavy the slide is and how light the frame is.
If you have pinky hangover on a G19, you must have some mammoth hands. If that's the case, then certainly try out a 17rd mag. However, the Glock and Pearce +2 magazine extensions will give you real estate to grip as well. You can even make it look like and extra grip groove if you so choose. I just suggest it because it's cheaper than buying a 17rd mag.
If concealment is a difficulty, then I would HIGHLY recommend going with a tuckable IWB holster like the aforementioned models. I have a lot of difficulty concealing weapons due to my large "stature" and the fact that I have to wear XL and XXL shirts to prevent printing if I carry. Once I went to a tuckable holster from a standard leather IWB setup, everything became so much easier.
I primarily carry my Glock 27 in my Crossbreed SuperTuck, so concealment is easy. Last month, I did some undercover sting work and used my Crossbreed to carry my duty Glock 22, and it was just as easy to conceal under a t-shirt. Other tuckable shirts will work just as easily.

Night sights aren't necessarily an ABSOLUTE necessity, but good luck using your sights at night if you don't have them. I've shot in low-light and no-light with both night sights and standard sights, and the difference is amazing. Even in lower light hours like twilight, or in dimly lit areas at night- places where you can still "kind of" see your sights- your ability to use the sights effectively is almost nil. Night sights make that much of a difference. You can make it without them for a while, but I would certainly recommend that you put them on the list for a future investment.
Standard Glock sights are plastic. Night sights are usually aircraft aluminum or steel construction. Big difference for durability.

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 06-28-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:24 PM   #6
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Congrats on the Glock 19, I traded that in for my Glock 26. I prefer Remington Golden Saber for carry. For the plug, you can get a Glock Plug or Slug Plug...they are pretty cheap.

Did you get a Gen 3 or Gen 4? Regardless, the Glock 19 will make you very happy. I had some trigger time with my Kimber 1911 and Glock 21 today....also the Glock 26.

What I can say is get a nice tac light for the Glock 19....with quick release, that is all you need. Don't cheap out on the light either And, a few extra mags are always good....you can always have one loaded with your carry load, and the others for the range.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:34 AM   #7
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcus View Post
Congrats on the Glock 19, I traded that in for my Glock 26. I prefer Remington Golden Saber for carry. For the plug, you can get a Glock Plug or Slug Plug...they are pretty cheap.
Do you use regular Golden Saber, or the bonded?

Glock Armorer

Old 06-29-2011, 07:49 AM   #8
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Winchester Bonded PDX for carry. This is available at Walmart, so it's inexpensive and easy to get.

I use a less expensive version of the Crossbreed Supertuck for IWB. For OWB, I used a Blackhawk Serpa but read about some issues with NDs because of the way you need to release it. I wouldn't try to conceal carry with the Serpa though, as Reed said, it sticks out way too far and is very obvious. I used it for hiking. I'm still trying to find something else for OWB.

The 33 round magazines, in my opinion, are just something that is cool to have. You certainly can't conceal a G19 with a 33 round magazine, and the added weight of 18 extra rounds is going to be significant when you are training at the range. If you want one though, get it.

4. Any other "must have" accessories? I'm not one for fancy gizmos but I know the aftermarket is pretty crazy for these guns. The ony accessory that I have is the GTL-21 laser/light. I snap it on at night when the G19 goes in my night stand. I don't use it when I carry.

I think this has been answered already.

Enjoy it!

Last edited by Serbonze; 06-29-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:58 AM   #9
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000

Winchester White box, but am looking for cheaper alternatives

Just got my glock 19, so I am still searching for a great holster.

They are just cool, but heavy, and uncomfortable to use IMHO. Get a lula speedloader and dont worry about mags.

About $30.

I love my lula speed loader, makes loading a cinch. Also love the surefire light/laser combo. Expensive, but worth every penny. For home defense IMHO, it's more useful than nightsights but both is even better. I just ordered the TRUglo TFO fiber optic sights, based on many reviews, so I will report back about them. About $80 bucks.

This is something most glock owners don't actually know about. This is NOT JUST A HOLE!!!! That feature was added at THE REQUEST of Austrian police/army. It is a "feature," not an error. it is designed to provide extra leverage for magazine removal. Many will say "well, dust and crap will get in there and cause problems." Well, first of all, if you clean your glock once a year, you will have absolutely no issues. Second, if you do get a magazine jam (which granted, aren't too common on a glock, but still occur) it is a major PITA to remove. It is really annoying having to pry out a loaded magazine with a plug installed. If you are interested, you can order the plug (called a grip plug) but I strongly advise you against it. Glock ADDED that feature, so they must know something.

Here is what the cops say about it....

http://www.realpolice.net/forums/fir...ck-yes-no.html

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 06-30-2011 at 01:05 AM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:03 AM   #10
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
G19 is hard to beat, but why didn't you buy the G17 if your hands are that big?

G19 is perfect for me, I use G17 mags at home (just for the extra two rounds) and a G19 mags in my G26 to solve my pinky overhang (on the G26)

I love my Trijicon night sites and my Glock GTL21 light/laser combo. I had another set of night sites that were brighter but blurrier. Trijicons are very crisp and round. Many on here will tell you that there are better after market lights and the laser is useless. I like it. I like the way it fits, the lightweight, and Glocks service.

JMO.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci

Last edited by GlockMan; 06-30-2011 at 03:06 AM.
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:44 AM   #11
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
G19 is hard to beat, but why didn't you buy the G17 if your hands are that big?

G19 is perfect for me, I use G17 mags at home (just for the extra two rounds) and a G19 mags in my G26 to solve my pinky overhang (on the G26)

I love my Trijicon night sites and my Glock GTL21 light/laser combo. I had another set of night sites that were brighter but blurrier. Trijicons are very crisp and round. Many on here will tell you that there are better after market lights and the laser is useless. I like it. I like the way it fits, the lightweight, and Glocks service.

JMO.
The main two contenders for best nightsights right now are the trijicons and the Truglow TFOs. I saw two glocks, one had the triji's and the other had the truglows. During the day, the trijis were just "sights." The truglows, due to the fiberoptics, were VERY bright during the day, almost lit up. In low light, both seemed to be about equal IMHO. Trijicons IMHO are built better as well. Honestly, I think both would suffice in a REAL home defense situation, so it really is personal preference. The surefire light however, IMHO, is the best in the business, including the TLR, which IMHO, isn't built as well.

P.S. I wouldn't call the laser useless. While it may not be "spot on" for target practice, in an HD situation, the laser WILL put the bullet in the area that you want it.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 06-30-2011 at 03:45 AM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:22 AM   #12
speedcrazy1532

My Ride: is over
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post

Winchester White box, but am looking for cheaper alternatives
Wat. For carry?

-Phil
speedcrazy1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:16 AM   #13
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcrazy1532 View Post
What. For carry?
Yeah, I saw that and was like

Quote:
The surefire light however, IMHO, is the best in the business, including the TLR, which IMHO, isn't built as well.
The X300 and X400 are the only pistol lights made to military specifications. The fact that it's waterproof to 22m means it has to have pretty strong build quality, but there's also the fact that SureFire is a fantastic company. Streamlight lights are good quality, and they're a better value since they're between 1/2 and 1/3 the cost.
SureFire definitely has better customer service, though.

Glock Armorer

Old 06-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #14
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
For a handheld light, I use a Coleman LED I bought from Walmart. $25. A friend of mine thought it would be funny to shine it in my face in a dark room from 10' away. I do not advise doing this to yourself unless you want to be blinded for the next ten minutes.

I've dropped it in water, mud, dirt, on asphalt, concrete, smashed a couple things with it, and it still holds up, so I don't see the need in paying out the ass for a SureFire.

330i/Ci Bang for the Buck Horsepower Guide
Want 5% off any BimmerBrakes.com purchase? PM me for details!
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:43 AM   #15
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
For a handheld light, I use a Coleman LED I bought from Walmart. $25. A friend of mine thought it would be funny to shine it in my face in a dark room from 10' away. I do not advise doing this to yourself unless you want to be blinded for the next ten minutes.

I've dropped it in water, mud, dirt, on asphalt, concrete, smashed a couple things with it, and it still holds up, so I don't see the need in paying out the ass for a SureFire.
did you duct tape it to your gun?

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:33 PM   #16
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
did you duct tape it to your gun?
Like I said... for HAND HELD.

I'm pretty sure it would fit in a clip of some sort mounted on the rail, too.

330i/Ci Bang for the Buck Horsepower Guide
Want 5% off any BimmerBrakes.com purchase? PM me for details!
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:49 PM   #17
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcrazy1532 View Post
Wat. For carry?
No, range. It's only $1 more than CCI (11 bucks for a 50 box) and I haven't found a cheaper source, so I've been using that. Any other sources/rounds you recommend that are cheaper and don't smell like crap and don't have tons of residue? I usually prefer made in the usa rounds, as the powder seems to be better and QC as well. Unfortunately, can't carry in NJ.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:51 PM   #18
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Yeah, I saw that and was like

The X300 and X400 are the only pistol lights made to military specifications. The fact that it's waterproof to 22m means it has to have pretty strong build quality, but there's also the fact that SureFire is a fantastic company. Streamlight lights are good quality, and they're a better value since they're between 1/2 and 1/3 the cost.
SureFire definitely has better customer service, though.
The difference in price between the streamlight (light/laser) and the surefire was $14 at my local store. No brainer for me.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #19
NFRs2000nyc

Sorry for the whinchester white box comment...I didn't notice the CARRY part of it, I meant thats the ammo i mainly shoot. For HD, I keep a few Hornady rounds at home (hollow points with the rubber fill), and a few critical defense rounds as well.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:27 AM   #20
Reedo302

Quote:
The difference in price between the streamlight (light/laser) and the surefire was $14 at my local store. No brainer for me.
I was referring to the X300 vs TLR-1/1S.
I consider Light/Laser combos on full frame and medium-compact pistols to be functionally worthless.

However, the TLR-2 can be had for around $230, whereas the lowest price on the X400 is something like ~$460. That would mean that you either got a very high-priced TLR-2 or an X400 that was below MAP.

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 07-01-2011 at 01:21 AM.