E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 09:44 PM   #1
Racer X 69

My Ride: Jeep Cherokee
Looking to buy my first E46

Hi Guys!
I'm looking to buy a Convertible 2005 330Ci, automatic with the ZHP and ZCW packages. The car has 89,000 on it and appears super clean from the pictures but we all know how that can turn out sometimes but it looks like an 8.5 to 9 if had to rate it now...

I've been doing a lot of reading on it and this forum has a ton of great info about the car.

It seems as if these are very reliable cars and would like any input on what I should look at when I go to see the car in person next week to possibly purchase it.

I know this a general inquiry but any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time!!!

Happy Motoring ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	563938   Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	563939   Click image for larger version

Name:	19.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	563940   Click image for larger version

Name:	22.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	563941  

Last edited by Racer X 69; 07-02-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Racer X 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:02 AM   #2
jwalther

My Ride: 04 ZHP Vert
I'm a new ZHP Vert owner, and am loving it so far. That one looks nice, except for the AT . I recommend a PPI before buying any used BMW. Have you checked out the ZHP Mafia site?
jwalther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
ModBargains III
Sponsor

My Ride: E46
Looks like a hell of a car. Of course, dont simply take it at face value. When I bought mine it went straight to an indy BMW shop for a full check out. Of course it hasnt been back since because I DIY everything Be sure to talk to CarbonZHP if you want info about either verts or ZHPs. Let us know if you need any help!
BMW Wheels In Stock | BMW Intake Experts
Hours
: Mon - Fri 8:00am - 6:00pm / Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
Check out our Blog for updates & discounts!
ModBargains III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:54 AM   #4
Greg330CI

My Ride: E46 330CIc
In addition to the above advice, check through the service records and if possible, service invoices to see what has been replaced and when. At that age and mileage it should have had a cooling system overhaul, to include water pump, expansion tank, hoses, belts and thermostat as these will soon fail if they have not been replaced. Also, check for replacement control arm bushes because they will need replacing at that mileage. If they have not been replaced then you may get a knocking sound from the suspension when going over road bumps. Also, the steering may feel a little slack. Check out the soft top operation, opening and closing and for any damage to the interior headlining, especially at the rear sides. Check around the top and side of the engine for traces of oil leaks. The valve cover gasket and the oil filter housing gasket are prone to leaking. Apart from the obvious, lights, tyres, brakes and interior condition that's about it. I have had my 330Cic for 5 years. A great car and a lot of fun but like all BMW's, they need looking after and are not cheap to run! If you are good at DIY there is a lot you can do yourself and a ton of information available on how to service and repair the E46's on this forum and on Bimmerfest forum. Good Luck!
Greg330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:08 AM   #5
thomthod_330

My Ride: 330ci convertible
I just bought a 2001 with 87k on it. New tires new top. I had my mechanic go through it and changed the fuel filter(original), black crap oozed out the back. Had an oil leak from oil pan, was gasket. Changed plugs and filters. Everything was great drve it home and the sevice light came back on.

It started running rough and Tony told me to bring it back. 14 codes went off in the computer. lean rich co2 co1 etc. It turns out it was the diesel box has a butterfly valve that was stuck. He pulled out and cleaned and lubed it. He felt bad because he missed it and did not charge me.

The car runs like a champ!
thomthod_330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:09 AM   #6
thomthod_330

My Ride: 330ci convertible
Also the oil sensor was bad, I bought a euro brand for 50 bucks.
thomthod_330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:17 AM   #7
Gatriel
Gr Di'

My Ride: KL38444
Its missing a pedal.

Pass.

More of my posts get deleted than anyone elses.
Gatriel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:28 PM   #8
jamblazer

My Ride: 2003 330Ci Convert
Be careful with used high-performance models

I bought a 1999 M3 in 2007 from Texas internet dealer with 64k, and turned out car had been dragged over a curb, and had damage underneath to front brake air dams, and the gas tank filler leaked fumes...however, damage did not show up on Carfax!! When I went to sell it about 4 years later with 68k, I was informed that most buyers are concerned that any high-performance model has been driven extra-hard and thus may have more issues than most cars of same age and mileage.

Bought current 2003 330Ci with 62k from another Texas Internet dealer in May 2014...have been very pleased. My criteria was a non high-performance car, low mileage, price comparable to age and mileage, and most importantly, the Carfax showed it spent entire life in Dallas area (thus, no cold weather issues such as salt/rust, etc.). Only had for 3 months, but am very pleased and car turns head wherever I go...so far, I have only done an oil change, put on a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport tires, a new hood ornament, and a new rear seat belt clip!

This is my advice, and as such, it is worth as much as you paid for it!!
jamblazer is offline   Reply With Quote