E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2017, 09:30 PM   #1
fshrkn

My Ride: 2006 330Ci
Top stops while going up or down

Please help with my 2006 330Ci.

When putting the top down with either the buttons or door key:
-It unlatches at windshield and retracts a little.
-The rear bow lifts
-The storage lid raises.
-The rear bow moves down into the storage compartment.
-The windshield bow retracts about 6" and stops.

If I help push the windshield bow backward about 12" it will continue automatically and complete the full cycle. I apply little hand force.

When putting the top up:
-The storage lid raises
-The top moves up about 12" and stops.

If I help lift the top up about 12" more, it will continue automatically and complete the full cycle. It requires more hand force than putting top down.

I have lubed everything and jumper wired every wire at the hinge point above the drivers seat. I am guessing it is the main hydraulic cylinder piston
seals leaking and allowing fluid to flow around the piston. I do not have any leaks anywhere. The pump is running the entire time I am actuating the buttons. The pump fluid level is correctly filled to the proper level.

If I have to replace the main cylinder piston seals, is it possible to do this without removing the entire assembly from the car? Can I prove that the piston seals are leaking by loosing the hydraulic line fitting on the low pressure side of the piston while in operation? If so do I now have to bleed the system and I have idea of how to do this? Thanks Ken
fshrkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:56 AM   #2
Landlorder

My Ride: 330CI Sport
You sure its not damaged wiring?
Old 04-08-2017, 09:19 AM   #3
All2kool

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlorder View Post
You sure its not damaged wiring?
When my top failed to close completely, it was in fact a severed GREEN WIRE that I found in the harness at the bend point. This video was very helpful. I soldered in a section and it's never failed me again.

Note: in the video, the user removes the clip - I found that it could be slid down the sheathing easily.

All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:56 AM   #4
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
If you have no leaks, then your pump needs to be rebuilt. The top is struggling at the points where it does the heaviest lifting. Since your help keeps the top going, it's the pump.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 04-08-2017, 01:45 PM   #5
fshrkn

Thanks for your help.
I am not sure the wiring is not damages somewhere. I did replace all the wires per the video, but there could be damage elsewhere.
If the pump appears to be delivering insufficient pressure, is there some way to check the psi output of the pump??? (thanks Taylor). Also, do you know where to buy the parts for a rebuild and a good instructional article or video? Or a place to send my pump for rebuild?
This reminds me of chasing down an oil leak on the engine. I did solve the problem until I replaced 4 gaskets and it was the oil stand. Thanks Ken
Old 04-08-2017, 02:31 PM   #6
fshrkn

Hydraulic pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
If you have no leaks, then your pump needs to be rebuilt. The top is struggling at the points where it does the heaviest lifting. Since your help keeps the top going, it's the pump.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using E46Fanatics mobile app
Taylor,
I found your threads about the hydraulic pump, cylinders and TopHydraulics.
Thanks, Ken
Old 04-09-2017, 08:08 AM   #7
Landlorder

My Ride: 330CI Sport
If its not the pump which I have no experience in at 202k miles then I reccomend wiring gets replaced. You might repair it a few times but eventually its just not good enough. Ive done it and it took me about 8 hours across 2 days to replace the wiring loom. Suggest you check continuity on wires.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:54 AM   #8
fshrkn

Thanks for your response.