E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi
Best Double Din for e46? (not including dynavin)

What do you guys think is the best double din radio/navigation unit THAT WILL FIT in the e46?

ive been using a clarion cz500 and its great, but I really wanted to upgrade to the Dynavin but thats ridiculously expensive. I'm going to return my cz500 for store credit at crutchfield and get a different HU that supports navigation.

Also, I am seriously considering going to a possible flip up single din HU because it supports navigation. But Im worried it will look like butthole and be really flimsey

What do you guys think? I need some help here because I have 10 days to decide or crutchfield will not exchange my item.

oh and ps. the reason im returning/exchanging it is because its broken TWICE! First cz500 i had worked awesome for a couple months, then when i stalled out one time my HU displayed MCU UPG and stopped working. This just happened again today to my replacement cz500 (although i have stalled out many times with this not happening) and turns out its because of ac or dc current (whichever one the radio doesnt accept) going to it from the alternator........ so yeah....
TR4G- is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
opey

My Ride: 04 M3 coupe
how is the dynavin ridiculously expensive? how many units out there are under $800 with install kit and provide dvd, nav, bluetooth, ipod hookup, etc etc?

also a flip out will block the center air vents when out

IR/IR 6 speed
opey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
TR4G-

yeah i thought about that as well. Idk, I guess 800 is appropriate, given everything it can do, but i feel like the display is not that great. For example: look at the video review of this. the frame rate is amazing and it looks great! From what i have seen of the dynavin its not like that.

Also, with your post, I am considering just returning my radio and upgrading to dynavin, however, It seems like everyone has issues basically do you think a flip up screen is gonna be an absolute bust and a total waste of money? cuz if it is, ill just get crutchfield to send me a replacement single din regular HU, and save up for the dynavin
Old 05-27-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
codyfunk

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
800 is extremely reasonable for something with nav and yes a flip up double din looks horrible. If you want something simple and plug and play, dynavin. Otherwise go Kenwood
Old 05-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
Yungjizzle1121

My Ride: 03 325xi
I'm having the same debate too. I have the stock business radio from BMW but I want to upgrade. I'd much rather prefer an in dash compared to a flip out because it's much cleaner but some of the prices on the in dashes and ridiculous.
Yungjizzle1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
BillyJoelR

My Ride: Velvy B.
I've had an Alpine flip-up unit before but it does not compare to the Dynavin unit.
Just my .02

BillyJoelR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #7
codyfunk

single din is generally no more expensive than double dins. The biggest thing people don't look at is that many of the double din's have nav already in them while single din have the option to add it later. A difference of anywhere from $300-500. If you look apples to apples, they are very on par. For example, Kenwood's DDX418 is a double din video that Amazon has for $359. Very basic, bluetooth built in and gives you the option for navigation and sat radio. The Kenwood KVT-516 which is single din video, same model essentially but single din. Amazon has it for $387.95. It's just a matter of looking apples to apples. Double din does look a helluva lot better but it is gonna cost more between A/C relocation, bezel, and heater box modification; but do it once and you won't regret it.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
Yungjizzle1121

@billyjoel- really? I'm surprised I thought the alpine would be much better

@codyfunk- yeah your right about that. This are too really good prices but when you want something with navi and you buy it separately, you mind as well just go all out for the same price. Would you guys recommend the dynavin or something else?
Old 05-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #9
codyfunk

Like I said, Dynavin is great cause it's soooo easy. Plug and play and you're done. No modifying heater box and the way it's designed doesn't require a new bezel. But, it doesn't have the audio foundation that the alpines or the kenwoods have. Also, Kenwood runs Garmin nav and Parrot bluetooth. Garmin and Parrot are the head honchos in nav and bluetooth. I would go Kenwood, but that's because I have no issue with the bezel and it's a better investment for me. I have never been really "wow'd" by the Dynavin for my needs, but I know that it'll do more than enough for most.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
Yungjizzle1121

That's what I'm worried about. I am starting to build up my system a little and I know dynavin won't give me the audio needs. It does look great and simple I wish it was more powerful though. Do you know or recommend any double dins or flip outs with navis for around 600?
Old 05-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #11
codyfunk

Nothing with nav for around 600. Not new atleast. For 95% of applications the dynavin will full fill the purpose. If it doesn't, you can always get an audio processor or EQ. It sounds like the Dynavin would work great for you.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #12
Yungjizzle1121

How much do you think a eq or an audio processor would cost? Sorry I'm kinda new to this lol
Old 05-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #13
codyfunk

anywhere from $100-1500. But honestly, I wouldn't worry about that right now.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:42 PM   #14
Yungjizzle1121

I really need to try and find a good head unit but idk
Old 05-31-2011, 11:33 AM   #15
RTRxMike

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4G- View Post
Also, I am seriously considering going to a possible flip up single din HU because it supports navigation. But Im worried it will look like butthole and be really flimsey
Personally, I hate the flip up style. Maybe because I just had a cheaper Jensen, maybe not. I had it in my truck for a while. Worked decently. I didn't like the look though. And, most importantly, as others have stated, it will block the air vents. In my truck it caused condensation when the air was on and the unit would actually get wet, so I had to leave the air off when the screen was up.
RTRxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:42 AM   #16
TR4G-

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyfunk View Post
Nothing with nav for around 600. Not new atleast. For 95% of applications the dynavin will full fill the purpose. If it doesn't, you can always get an audio processor or EQ. It sounds like the Dynavin would work great for you.
So what are it's drawbacks? If audio strength are peoples only issues, isnt that why we have amplifiers? Are the EQs really bad? And is there a customizable EQ?
Old 05-31-2011, 12:49 PM   #17
dayusmc

My Ride: 01 325ci & 06 325ci
I never liked flip outs, they look cheesy to me. I just installed my Dynavin with mixed feelings. It looks Great! Was easy to install. But I am use to after-market Double Din radios. My other cars have Kenwood radios in them, so I guess I am spoiled with them :-) The Dynavin is in my wifes BMW, I finally got it to work, she is happy with it. I probably would have bought the WinCE based one if I had to do it all over. Just because from what I read that one is more plug and play for the Navigation if you buy iGo. The Dynavin does sound better than stock. I plan on adding a JL 5 channel digital app in the future. So then she will have a bass knob to control the sub I will be putting in and also have high and low pass filters for the interior speakers.
Just my opinion but I wouldn't get the flip out. If you need GPS on the Radio, and don't want to cut you heater ducts I think the Dynavin is the only one that works. If you don't need in dash NAV Kenwood and Alpine have killer single din radios.
dayusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:57 PM   #18
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
For the price, the Dynavin is amazing. What you need to keep in mind is that you can pick up a Dynavin for around 600-700 bucks brand new. You can then swap out your existing head unit and pop in the Dynavin with no additional modifications to the car. You can literally do it in your driveway with a few tools. So, 700 bucks and you have nav, dvd playback, ipod interface, etc.

Or, you can go with a bigger brand name double din nav but a high quality one will run you almost double the cost of the Dynavin. The new Sony nav unit, for example, runs around 1300 bucks. On top of that, you then need to buy a new custom bezel from mybimmer.net so it installs in the dash nicely.. that will run you an additional 150. on top of that, you then have to cut up your A/C ducting to make space for the unit.. a shop will likely charge you a solid $600-$1,000 to do this work (depending on how nicely they do it and how much they run per hour of labor). So, you're looking at maybe 2500 when all is said and done...

Dynavin for 700 or bigger name (like Sony or Pioneer) for four times the cost...

The choice is yours

| 435 HP 328Ci | Mechanical Work : RRT Racing | Vinyl Work : Designer Wraps | Vorsteiner | STATUS Racing |
Timeless Motor Group
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:01 PM   #19
dayusmc

My Ride: 01 325ci & 06 325ci
Like 2000 328ci said, it depends on how much work and how much you willing to spend... :-) But don't stress it to much.
dayusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:07 PM   #20
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
For the price, the Dynavin is amazing. What you need to keep in mind is that you can pick up a Dynavin for around 600-700 bucks brand new. You can then swap out your existing head unit and pop in the Dynavin with no additional modifications to the car. You can literally do it in your driveway with a few tools. So, 700 bucks and you have nav, dvd playback, ipod interface, etc.

Or, you can go with a bigger brand name double din nav but a high quality one will run you almost double the cost of the Dynavin. The new Sony nav unit, for example, runs around 1300 bucks. On top of that, you then need to buy a new custom bezel from mybimmer.net so it installs in the dash nicely.. that will run you an additional 150. on top of that, you then have to cut up your A/C ducting to make space for the unit.. a shop will likely charge you a solid $600-$1,000 to do this work (depending on how nicely they do it and how much they run per hour of labor). So, you're looking at maybe 2500 when all is said and done...

Dynavin for 700 or bigger name (like Sony or Pioneer) for four times the cost...

The choice is yours
Jensen has a nice touchscreen unit (VM9224BT or VM9424BT if you want GPS navigation) that looks like it shouldn't require TOO much work. But then again, I haven't really looked at the exact dimensions. These sell for $285 (9224) to $450 (9424), depending on what you want, giving all the features of Bluetooth, DVD, auxiliary input, etc. but with just a tad bit of custom work.

And did I mention it has a touch screen?
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote