E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2015, 10:34 AM   #1
kroh

My Ride: 2001ish 325i
Send a message via ICQ to kroh Send a message via AIM to kroh
Navigation swap?

I'm looking at buying a 2003 ZHP, but it's got the factory navigation, which I've been given the impression is a time bomb just waiting to break fairly expensively.

Questions:
  • Can I just swap it out for the non-nav components in my 2001 325i?
  • Am I mistaken in even wanting to do this at all?
    • Stage II flash
    • Strut brace
  • Bavarian Autosport ignition
  • Z3 short shift kit
  • Turner Motorsport
    • Subframe reinforcement
    • Front & rear swaybars
    • Rear CA bushing limiters
  • ZHP/Bilstein suspension
  • MTech II kit/OEM facelift
  • Ski hatch Solo-Baric sub
kroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:25 PM   #2
texas_touring

My Ride: 2003 325xiT
I think you might be somewhat mistaken, it's not as terrible a system as people make it out to be. And in my experience, it is rock solid reliable, however out of date.

Swapping the components out for the standard Business CD system might be too involved to be "worth it" as the tuner/radio are in the trunk for the nav system, versus in the front for the non-nav systems. A new wiring harness would be necessary, at the very least.

If you really don't want the nav or you want to install some aftermarket kit like the dynavin, I'd wait it out for a car with the Business CD.
texas_touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:19 PM   #3
kroh

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_touring View Post
I think you might be somewhat mistaken.... A new wiring harness would be necessary, at the very least.
Further research has led me to believe you are correct on both counts. There's no way to do this without hacking up the wiring harness, and I just... can't... do that.

Next up is deciding what, if not that, to replace it with. All I want is Google Maps in my dash, which Dynavin doesn't do. Eonon does, but they're pretty... Chinese-y. Not sure where to go from there.
    • Stage II flash
    • Strut brace
  • Z3 short shift kit
  • Turner Motorsport
    • Subframe reinforcement
    • Front & rear swaybars
Old 09-07-2015, 11:30 PM   #4
EononCarDVD
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: BMW E46
Hi kroh, I think many guys have the same opinion as you. You’re right, 99% products are Made-in-China. We are not sure about other brands, but Eonon have our own manufacture factory with professional production line. Along with 13 years manufacturing experience, every Eonon product has gone through 131 quality tests before releasing. Eonon is always trying best to keep improving and providing high quality products with great customer service.
EononCarDVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:39 AM   #5
kroh

Quote:
Originally Posted by EononCarDVD View Post
We are not sure about other brands, but Eonon have our own manufacture factory with professional production line. Along with 13 years manufacturing experience, every Eonon product has gone through 131 quality tests before releasing.
I mean no disrespect. And in fact, the other brands (Avin and Dynavin) are also made in China (although I'm pretty sure the Avin is designed in CA). The manufacturing of the hardware isn't as concerning as the design of the software, which appears to make up the bulk of the Eonon complaints that I've read. And for that matter, I've read many a thread where folks complain that they weren't able to get proper responses to their issues, which is also concerning.

Specifically, I'd be interested to know:
  • If there is a defect, to where must I ship the unit for repair? To China? That could be quite expensive.
  • Is Eonon incorporated anywhere in the US, and thereby subject to our consumer protection laws?
  • I know there's a 2-year warranty, but the e46 is an aging platform and Android is a constantly moving one. How long does Eonon intend to dedicate resources to maintaining the software, provide bug fixes, etc?

And, on a technical note, is the D5150Z compatible with DSP (Harmon Kardon)?
    • Stage II flash
    • Strut brace
  • Z3 short shift kit
  • Turner Motorsport
    • Subframe reinforcement
    • Front & rear swaybars
Old 10-05-2015, 03:09 PM   #6
texas_touring

My Ride: 2003 325xiT
Under no circumstances would I buy anything from Eonon, their products and support seem lacking, especially for cars with factory navigation. I use a map DVD from 2007 in my car that covers all of the United States and Canada and I am extremely happy with it. The address entry process, which typically involves looking up an address on my phone and entering it in the nav, may appear a bit clunky, but the user experience while driving is more important to me, and that is where the factory system delivers, in my opinion. (1) The maps and voice instructions are clear and usable, albeit not as advanced or complete as what you get from google maps. (2) I never use any network data, save for what I use in looking up addresses to begin with. This is a big deal when taking long trips. (3) Between the GPS antenna under the dash and the wire tap to the speedometer, the map never loses track of me through tunnels or cellular dead zones. (4) The integration with the audio system is perfect: I can show the map instruction on one side and my iPod track information on the other side, and the music volume dips for nav instructions.

Yes, the graphical interface is somewhat lacking, but the overall experience is pretty robust. It will find POI for major landmarks and older restaurants, but entering the address from my phone is a pretty small price to pay for a system that works so competently. I think an Mk4 nav system with updated software, and good map DVD, the factory bluetooth kit, and with an Intravee II attached for iPod integration is the sleekest way to go.

If you are absolutely set on going for an in dash aftermarket unit with Google Maps, I think the Avin Avant is the way to go. It's a nice looking unit and the support seems decent, and if you are fluent with Android, it could deliver what you are looking for. The likelihood of buying an Eonon and having no problems with it look so so so very slim.
texas_touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:48 AM   #7
EononCarDVD
Past Site Sponsor

Hi texas_touring, to be exact, many fans enjoy Eonon products and love Eonon brand. We are always trying best to keep improving and forward. As we mentioned, every Eonon product has gone through 131 quality tests before releasing. We are confident that we provide 2 year warranty including 60 days money back service, besides, we pay more attention to forum members with special treatment. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:04 AM   #8
EononCarDVD
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroh View Post
I mean no disrespect. And in fact, the other brands (Avin and Dynavin) are also made in China (although I'm pretty sure the Avin is designed in CA). The manufacturing of the hardware isn't as concerning as the design of the software, which appears to make up the bulk of the Eonon complaints that I've read. And for that matter, I've read many a thread where folks complain that they weren't able to get proper responses to their issues, which is also concerning.

Specifically, I'd be interested to know:
  • If there is a defect, to where must I ship the unit for repair? To China? That could be quite expensive.
  • Is Eonon incorporated anywhere in the US, and thereby subject to our consumer protection laws?
  • I know there's a 2-year warranty, but the e46 is an aging platform and Android is a constantly moving one. How long does Eonon intend to dedicate resources to maintaining the software, provide bug fixes, etc?

And, on a technical note, is the D5150Z compatible with DSP (Harmon Kardon)?
Hi Kroh, don't worry, we understand.
In-car entertainment products are all semi-manufactured. Our R&D team is trying their best to realize this: A product can be upgraded to get a new function by software, such as UI. We cannot say that how long to update it, but we are trying best to improve and satisfy our customers.

We have a warehouse in the US, and got the legal trademark in the US with American authorization letter. Our policy definition was consulted by the local lawyer. Please rest assure, it is legal totally.

Regarding warranty, we provide 2 year warranty including 60 days new replacement change (we pay for the return and resending postage) and 60 days money back service. Moreover, customers from the US can return the unit to our US warehouse instead, more convenient. Many fans are satisfied with Eonon products as well as our service. Hope you do.

Btw, D5150Z is not compatible with DSP system. Hope you understand.

Last edited by EononCarDVD; 10-07-2015 at 07:10 AM.