E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
Whammy

My Ride: ZHP
Fuel Pump Replacement Book Time

Does anyone know what the book time to replace a fuel pump on the E46? I having some issues with my independent mechanic and need to know what a dealership would charge to perform the same work.

Thanks!

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
jcns

My Ride: California
DIY, 1.5 hr with hand. 1hr with both hands.
jcns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
Mark M

My Ride: e30 M3 / e90 335d
It is very easy. I can do it in under 15 minutes and I work in an office all day. Infact I did do it in under 15 min last month when mine failed.

Any mechanic who takes longer than an hour should not be a mechanic!
Old 06-30-2011, 03:46 PM   #4
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
change out the fuel pump yourself. it only took me 30 mins and I was going SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:59 PM   #5
Vinnie Vega

My Ride: 0032870Vette70Velle
never realized it was a quick/easy job, I may do this as a preventative this fall.
Vinnie Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
GRIDLOCK

My Ride: E36 / E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammy View Post
Does anyone know what the book time to replace a fuel pump on the E46? I having some issues with my independent mechanic and need to know what a dealership would charge to perform the same work.

Thanks!
Whammy, PM me the last 7 of your VIN and I'll get you the BMW factory labor time.

Have an EVAP code? Replacing gas cap did not fix? Give me a holler, I can do a smoke test for ya.
GRIDLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Any mechanic who takes longer than an hour should not be a mechanic!
Book time for a shop accounts for more than just the time it takes to swap a part....
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:37 PM   #8
GRIDLOCK

My Ride: E36 / E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
Book time for a shop accounts for more than just the time it takes to swap a part....
Truer words have never been spoken.

Have an EVAP code? Replacing gas cap did not fix? Give me a holler, I can do a smoke test for ya.
GRIDLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #9
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Quote:

Thanks!
Full or empty tank. If it is full fuel has to be taken out or you risk a big spill.

To the person who did it in 15 Min I realy doubt it. Including pulling the ar in replacing the part clean-up and test driving the car. If you can do that in 15 day in day out everytime you are superman

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:35 PM   #10
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
change out the fuel pump yourself. it only took me 30 mins and I was going SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+1 with the girl with the cat. I was going slow and drinking beer, and I did it in under an hour. I don't the book time, but an hour minimum seems right. You can offer to remove the back seat and save the shop a minute.
jdstrickland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:54 PM   #11
Whammy

My Ride: ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
Full or empty tank. If it is full fuel has to be taken out or you risk a big spill.

To the person who did it in 15 Min I realy doubt it. Including pulling the ar in replacing the part clean-up and test driving the car. If you can do that in 15 day in day out everytime you are superman
Seth, it doesn't matter how much fuel is in the tank. The fuel pump is accessible from the bottom right side of the back seat. The tank does not need to be removed.

To all: Luckily car is now repaired and I do not need to know.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:10 PM   #12
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

U
Quote:
Seth, it doesn't matter how much fuel is in the tank. The fuel pump is accessible from the bottom right side of the back seat. The tank does not need to be removed.

To all: Luckily car is now repaired and I do not need to know.

Fuel pump is not in the highest point in the tank so it DOES matter...

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:34 AM   #13
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
U

Fuel pump is not in the highest point in the tank so it DOES matter...
To a shop that takes the utmost care with a customer's car, it matters. You'll probably never convince the average DIY'er though.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #14
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
To a shop that takes the utmost care with a customer's car, it matters. You'll probably never convince the average DIY'er though.
I would assume most shops and peopl would not just pull the pump dumping fuel all over the inside of the car? That would smell for weeks

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Old 07-01-2011, 08:11 AM   #15
flashmeow
Banned User

yeah but lets be honest here. some shops will claim to "remove the fuel" just to add more time to the labor when they can easily replace the fuel pump without removing the fuel (assuming fuel at right level). this is why I never take my car to the mechanics unless I have to. come on now...mechanics are just like any other business. they are out to make money or maximize their profits.

NOTE: I am not saying this is how you run your company, i am just saying what I wrote above is not that uncommon.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:17 AM   #16
flashmeow
Banned User

Quote:

Thanks!
30 minutes and let me break it down for you.

1) 5 minutes to remove back seat cover and bottom cover. they just pop out.

2) 15 minutes to bang/twist the fuel pump collar. this collar is what secures the fuel pump to the fuel tank. use brass tool to bang it because brass doesn't spark.

3) 10 minutes to remove the fuel line and fuel pump

30 minutes right there and that is if you are going slow. I replaced mine in 30 mins (removal and installing)
Old 07-01-2011, 08:17 AM   #17
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
yeah but lets be honest here. some shops will claim to "remove the fuel" just to add more time to the labor when they can easily replace the fuel pump without removing the fuel (assuming fuel at right level). this is why I never take my car to the mechanics unless I have to. come on now...mechanics are just like any other business. they are out to make money or maximize their profits.

NOTE: I am not saying this is how you run your company, i am just saying what I wrote above is not that uncommon.
I agree, However I also am in a shop management group I see 20 shops numbers all over the country and it the same stories TRUST ME no one is getting rich at this. As an avg expenses are very high in this business

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Old 07-01-2011, 08:44 AM   #18
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
This guy knows his stuff
One of the few on here who is always willing to help with much knowledge

Quote:

Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:20 AM   #19
g6

My Ride: BMW
op if you made more than:

~$180 for the job, I think i might die.
$160
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ump%20Assembly
$20
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...0Pump%20Gasket
$0.59
Old 07-01-2011, 10:04 AM   #20