E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 10:17 AM   #21
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Quote:
Originally Posted by g6 View Post
^all oem
OEM is not OES FYI if VDO makes a plastic dial for the dash they can be called an OEM supplier. OES is generally what you want

I used to use VDO pumps however when i saw my warranty percentage go above 5% I stopped using them

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #22
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Full or Empty...
I did mine with a tank that was not empty, but it also was not full. Why anybody would present a car for fuel tank service with a full tank is beyond me, it should have a half tank or less just to be kind to the people doing the work.

This particular job is very easy, and does not require an empty gas tank, but why would you do anything like this at home right after visiting the gas station?

None of this really matters though, the OP is asking what the time is to do the job. Not how long it takes you or I, but what is allowed.

I do not know the book time for the job, but I'd be shocked if it was more than an hour. It should be less than an hour, but it is reasonable that any shop charge an 1 hour minimum fee for anything. Not everything, anything. If there are two or more jobs that can all be completed in under an hour, I think that each job should not be billed at the minimum rate, they should all be rolled together.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:51 AM   #23
Whammy

My Ride: ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post

None of this really matters though, the OP is asking what the time is to do the job. Not how long it takes you or I, but what is allowed.
Thank you!!! At least someone took the time to read what I posted.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:52 AM   #24
jdstrickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammy View Post
How much time are they wanting?
Old 07-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #25
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammy View Post
That is why I asked full or empty there are different labor times I was trying to help.

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:03 AM   #26
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
Full or Empty...
I did mine with a tank that was not empty, but it also was not full. Why anybody would present a car for fuel tank service with a full tank is beyond me, it should have a half tank or less just to be kind to the people doing the work.

This particular job is very easy, and does not require an empty gas tank, but why would you do anything like this at home right after visiting the gas station?

I do not know the book time for the job, but I'd be shocked if it was more than an hour. It should be less than an hour, but it is reasonable that any shop charge an 1 hour minimum fee for anything. Not everything, anything. If there are two or more jobs that can all be completed in under an hour, I think that each job should not be billed at the minimum rate, they should all be rolled together.
Cars don't decide when to break down. If the car broke after filling up with gas. It then matters to get him an ACCURATE ANSWER. He decided the questions I was asking were not pertinent hence I could not give an answer to him. The parts stuff came up because OES part are more expensive than OEM which would change the est. I am trying to help I just can't help without all the pertinent info.

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Old 07-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #27
g6

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
OEM is not OES FYI if VDO makes a plastic dial for the dash they can be called an OEM supplier. OES is generally what you want

I used to use VDO pumps however when i saw my warranty percentage go above 5% I stopped using them

Old 07-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #28
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Quote:

LOL that is to funny!! That picture is great!!

As for a DIY the VDO might be an option 5-9% is pretty low but higher than I find acceptable. Since I have to pay for the tow eat the part and the labor

our warranty is 2year 24k on ALL WORK so I have to choose part carefully

OP sorry to get off topic parts of this are relevant to the post though

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Old 07-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #29
Mark M

My Ride: e30 M3 / e90 335d
Quote:
Full or empty tank. If it is full fuel has to be taken out or you risk a big spill.

To the person who did it in 15 Min I realy doubt it. Including pulling the ar in replacing the part clean-up and test driving the car. If you can do that in 15 day in day out everytime you are superman
I don't joke. I did it in 15 min. Got home from the office it was on my door step in the box. I was so eager to swap it out and see if that was the cause of my no start condition, I did not even bother to change from my dress slacks and dress shirt.

1. Pop out rear seat bottom - 30 seconds.
2. Undo 4 small bolts holding on the access cover - 120 seconds.
3. Unplug harness - 30 seconds.
4. Undo fuel hose clamp - 3 minutes because it was the bugger type clamp.
5. Using large flathead screwdriver and a mallet gently tap the pump's retaining ring counterclockwise repeatedly and then remove. 120 seconds.
6. Pull out old pump and place in waiting bucket so as to not spill any fuel in the car. 30 seconds.
7. Remove old pump rubber sealing ring and install in the tank opening. 120 seconds.
8. Install new pump in tank and then install retaining ring. 120 seconds.
9. Install fuel pump hose and use a new screw type clamp. 60 seconds.
10. Plug in harness. 30 seconds.
11. Reinstall access cover and bolts. 120 seconds
12. Reinstall rear seat. 60 seconds.
13. Prime the fuel system. Turn key to on postion 3 times to build pressure. On the 4th time try and start the car. 60 seconds.

My car then fired right up and idled fine. At that point I shut her down and went in to wash up and change from the dress clothes. Miraculously I did not even get any fuel on my clothes.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #30
g6

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
LOL that is to funny!! That picture is great!!

As for a DIY the VDO might be an option 5-9% is pretty low but higher than I find acceptable. Since I have to pay for the tow eat the part and the labor

our warranty is 2year 24k on ALL WORK so I have to choose part carefully

OP sorry to get off topic parts of this are relevant to the post though
kind of off topic i hope nobody minds, but jb what is your HONEST opinion between bmw, audi and merc, in terms of maintenance? i was looking to ask somebody who might have a lot of experience in all.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #31
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
kind of off topic i hope nobody minds, but jb what is your HONEST opinion between bmw, audi and merc, in terms of maintenance? i was looking to ask somebody who might have a lot of experience in all.
Rememeber I am a Mechanic so according to this forum I am far from honest LOL.

Mercedes and BMW in our experience are pretty close the 1998-2002 Audis are nightmare maintenance wise. The newer ones have been better.

MB had there share of issues from 2000-2004 but have gotten better.

Hope this helps

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Old 07-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #32
jdstrickland

With all due respect, the question is simple. How long to replace the pump?

The answer from one that knows would be, an hour if the tank is empty, two hours if not. Or whatever. I have to look again, but I don't think it should matter how much gas is in the tank. The access hole is at the top, and ought to be above the fuel level. I don't know that for certain, but my vague recollection is that the gas ought not come out even if the tank is full.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #33
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
With all due respect, the question is simple. How long to replace the pump?

The answer from one that knows would be, an hour if the tank is empty, two hours if not. Or whatever. I have to look again, but I don't think it should matter how much gas is in the tank. The access hole is at the top, and ought to be above the fuel level. I don't know that for certain, but my vague recollection is that the gas ought not come out even if the tank is full.
You are correct I could have posed it that way. DUH... Sometimes I get hung up on the finer details I asked what i thought were reasonable questions.

With anything lower than 3/4 tank it is .96 by the book. With more than 3/4 it is 1.7 by the book.

The fuel pump IS BELOW the highest part of the tank you can spill 2-3 gallons if the tank is full. First one I did under warranty, when the car was brand new(1999) I learned the hard way.... had to pull and replace the rear carpet for the customer.

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Old 07-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #34
jdstrickland

Quote:
You are correct I could have posed it that way. DUH... Sometimes I get hung up on the finer details I asked what i thought were reasonable questions.

With anything lower than 3/4 tank it is .96 by the book. With more than 3/4 it is 1.7 by the book.

The fuel pump IS BELOW the highest part of the tank you can spill 2-3 gallons if the tank is full. First one I did under warranty, when the car was brand new(1999) I learned the hard way.... had to pull and replace the rear carpet for the customer.
I'll accept that. With the .96 flat rate, I assume you simply charge the one-hour minimum, which is fair if you ask me...

I would not have expected that there would be a difference depending on how much gas was in the tank, but what I expect and what really is, is often not the same thing.

My engineering base tells me to strip out the stuff that does not apply and focus on the meat of the issue. I agree with you though, some engineers will focus on the minutia, and sometimes do it the detriment of the Big Picture. I like to get a grip on the big picture then back-fill the details, but others use the detail to arrive at the big picture. I'm an A, you're a B. Not better or worse or right or wrong, just different.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #35
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
I'll accept that. With the .96 flat rate, I assume you simply charge the one-hour minimum, which is fair if you ask me...

I would not have expected that there would be a difference depending on how much gas was in the tank, but what I expect and what really is, is often not the same thing.

My engineering base tells me to strip out the stuff that does not apply and focus on the meat of the issue. I agree with you though, some engineers will focus on the minutia, and sometimes do it the detriment of the Big Picture. I like to get a grip on the big picture then back-fill the details, but others use the detail to arrive at the big picture. I'm an A, you're a B. Not better or worse or right or wrong, just different.
Actually I would bill the diagnostic time and then I bill actual book time .96 I don't realy have a min. I have tickets that go out the door at $30 sometimes.

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Old 07-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #36
jdstrickland

Quote:
Actually I would bill the diagnostic time and then I bill actual book time .96 I don't realy have a min. I have tickets that go out the door at $30 sometimes.
You're a rare bird indeed. With that yacht payment looming large each month, seems like my mechanic can barely answer the phone for thirty bucks, much less pick up a wrench.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #37
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
You're a rare bird indeed. With that yacht payment looming large each month, seems like my mechanic can barely answer the phone for thirty bucks, much less pick up a wrench.
Granted I try not to do it that much, but if a good custoemr stops by with a bulb out then I am not gonna bill 1 hour

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Old 07-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #38
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:

Who makes the OE pump?
Old 07-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #39
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
It is very easy. I can do it in under 15 minutes and I work in an office all day. Infact I did do it in under 15 min last month when mine failed.

Any mechanic who takes longer than an hour should not be a mechanic!
Old 07-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #40
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
Quote:
Granted I try not to do it that much, but if a good custoemr stops by with a bulb out then I am not gonna bill 1 hour
unlike a

Tags
diy, fuel pump