E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #41
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
DIY thread w/ pics:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=592414
Old 07-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #42
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Who makes the OE pump?
I honestly never looked. I just use the BMW pumps now as the warranty rate on those is less than .5% so I frankly don't have an answer.

I can try to make something up for you but you might not buy it

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #43
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
I honestly never looked. I just use the BMW pumps now as the warranty rate on those is less than .5% so I frankly don't have an answer.

I can try to make something up for you but you might not buy it
Just curious - I've heard from a couple people that the parts from places like Pelican actually are from the real manufacturer, but they failed QC... maybe there's some truth to that

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 07-01-2011 at 03:05 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #44
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Quote:
Just curious - I've heard from a couple people that the parts from places like Pelican actually are from the real manufacturer, but they failed QC... maybe there's some truth to that
Could be I will try to look at the next pump i do. I know I track warranty percentage so I know what parts I can use That would be interesting if the Factory part was VDO

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #45
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
There are many variables in manufacturing. Not being held to the same quality standards and failing QC aren't necessarily the same thing. The same parts sold under different brand names can be allowed different tolerances (not saying this is necessarily true for any particular part or manufacturer). It's also possible that the selection of tests performed may differ (brand X gets tested for A, B, C whereas brand Y may only get tested for C). It's even possible that the sample rates may differ (ie, testing every unit, versus testing 1 out of every 100, versus testing 1 out of every 10000, etc). These kinds of variations in the quality control procedures can all lead to different failure rates by brand, even though the parts are made one ofter the other on the same assembly line. While it's not completely impossible that the non-BMW version of a part failed to meet BMW quality specs and was "demoted" to OEM status, it's also not likely that a manufacturer would have enough of a failure rate to fully supply the volume of OEM parts they sell.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump

Last edited by TxZHP04; 07-01-2011 at 03:37 PM.
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #46
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Could be I will try to look at the next pump i do. I know I track warranty percentage so I know what parts I can use That would be interesting if the Factory part was VDO
Recently in another thread someone said it was VDO...forget who said it, but it was someone I trusted...for what that's worth.

What I've heard is that if you get OEM from an OES that the inspection rate might not be as high as when it has the BMW logo stamped on it, and that alone might explain why JB is seeing a 5% failure rate, and frankly, is just another reason why it makes sense to let the shop doing the work get the parts.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #47
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
There are many variables in manufacturing. Not being held to the same quality standards and failing QC aren't necessarily the same thing. The same parts sold under different brand names can be allowed different tolerances (not saying this is necessarily true for any particular part or manufacturer). It's also possible that the selection of tests performed may differ (brand X gets tested for A, B, C whereas brand Y may only get tested for C). It's even possible that the sample rates may differ (ie, testing every unit, versus testing 1 out of every 100, versus testing 1 out of every 10000, etc). These kinds of variations in the quality control procedures can all lead to different failure rates by brand, even though the parts are made one ofter the other on the same assembly line. While it's not completely impossible that the non-BMW version of a part failed to meet BMW quality specs and was "demoted" to OEM status, it's also not likely that a manufacturer would have enough of a failure rate to fully supply the volume of OEM parts they sell.
That's assuming that *only* the failed parts would be sold to aftermarket suppliers. However, since jbeurotech's observed failure rate was still relatively low (5% instead of something ridiculous like 25%) it would seem that the parts that meet all of BMW's standards make it into the aftermarket supply too. Not saying that failed QC is the definite explanation, but it does seem plausible to me.

Whatever the reason is, it's still interesting that jbeurotech noticed a fairly significant difference in failure rate between the pumps sourced from BMW and the pumps that weren't (assuming his sample size is large enough to draw valid conclusions from). For parts that tend to fail frequently on our cars, it might be worth paying a little bit extra to buy from a dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Recently in another thread someone said it was VDO...forget who said it, but it was someone I trusted...for what that's worth.

What I've heard is that if you get OEM from an OES that the inspection rate might not be as high as when it has the BMW logo stamped on it, and that alone might explain why JB is seeing a 5% failure rate, and frankly, is just another reason why it makes sense to let the shop doing the work get the parts.
I get that... but at the same time I have my own reservations about letting a shop order parts. For example, many shops insist that the Meyle control arms are perfectly fine for the E46 (and of course will pad the price a bit to earn even more money on top of the labor). I'd rather know exactly what's being installed on my car

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 07-01-2011 at 04:22 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #48
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Not saying that failed QC is the definite explanation, but it does seem plausible to me.
My point was simply that there are any number of ways to arrive at different failure rates per brand even when the parts are made on the same assembly line.

Quote:
For parts that tend to fail frequently on our cars, it might be worth paying a little bit extra to buy from a dealer.
With the relatively recent appearance of the online BMW parts department selling BMW branded parts at or near wholesale prices, it's getting increasingly harder to argue against using BMW branded replacement parts.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #49
Whammy

My Ride: ZHP
The car is fixed. Shop charged me an hour worth of labor (which is fine by me; cheaper than dealership). They though were taking a lot longer than anyone should expect to diagnose the issue especially when I told them what the problem was.

If I had the time I would have done it myself. I was 95% sure it was the pump. However considering my prior experience changing the fuel filter I wanted someone else to do it. Changing the fuel filter was not fun. At all.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #50
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammy View Post
Does anyone know what the book time to replace a fuel pump on the E46? I having some issues with my independent mechanic and need to know what a dealership would charge to perform the same work.

Thanks!
I'm kind of curious what issue you had with the indy, though it's none of my business...but you sort of brought it up!

Did he say 2-3 hours and you said, but I read on Fanatics that it's 1/2 an hour?

(Deleted a large rant since I started a reply before I read your last post, OP) If anyone is reading it now, just ignore it!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

Last edited by dmax; 07-01-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #51
beberle

My Ride: 2009 328 wagon
Ouch!

The stealer's getting me for $1,000 to replace fuel pump and filter
Wife's car broke down in the middle of Atlanta. It was towed to the dealer. She's stuck and I don't have the time to tow it back to the house and take care of it. I'm an avid DIYer, and that price tag is KILLING me
The Pain!!!
beberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:28 PM   #52
Zchild

My Ride: 2000 BMW 3XXi ZSP
Yeah, you need a hug and a kiss because the Stealership bent you over and gave it to you high and hard... $1,000.00 for a fuel filter and fuel pump wow! The combined jobs can be performed in under an hour and the parts are under $250.00 total...
NCC High Performance Driving School Back-Up Registrar
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison
DIY Senior Committee Coordinator
2006 E90 325Xi & 2000 E46 3XXi
" Vision without resources is just hallucination"
Zchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #53
blarf

My Ride: '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zchild View Post
Yeah, you need a hug and a kiss because the Stealership bent you over and gave it to you high and hard... $1,000.00 for a fuel filter and fuel pump wow! The combined jobs can be performed in under an hour and the parts are under $250.00 total...
Sure, if you sell the parts below cost.
blarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:54 PM   #54
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by beberle View Post
The stealer's getting me for $1,000 to replace fuel pump and filter
Wife's car broke down in the middle of Atlanta. It was towed to the dealer. She's stuck and I don't have the time to tow it back to the house and take care of it. I'm an avid DIYer, and that price tag is KILLING me
The Pain!!!
You tell your wife to tell the dealer that you know it takes under an hour to do both, and that if it doesn't make some concession, you'll be sure to write about it on every bmw forum you can find...that you'd much rather tell the story about how this dealer helped your wife out and was fair.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #55
Zchild

My Ride: 2000 BMW 3XXi ZSP
Fuel pumps on-line are $199.00 and Fuel filters on-line are $19.99; here's the website for proof; http://www.bavauto.com
NCC High Performance Driving School Back-Up Registrar
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison
DIY Senior Committee Coordinator
2006 E90 325Xi & 2000 E46 3XXi
" Vision without resources is just hallucination"
Zchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #56
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
change out the fuel pump yourself. it only took me 30 mins and I was going SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #57
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
Quote:
I agree, However I also am in a shop management group I see 20 shops numbers all over the country and it the same stories TRUST ME no one is getting rich at this. As an avg expenses are very high in this business
Unfortunately. However, customers can choose to not pay for your expenses and do the work themselves. with just under 200 dollars worth of tools i've done over 3k+ worth of labor I would have been charged otherwise by going to a shop.

Last edited by new//M3fan; 09-15-2011 at 02:57 PM.
new//M3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:56 PM   #58
blarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zchild View Post
Fuel pumps on-line are $199.00 and Fuel filters on-line are $19.99; here's the website for proof; http://www.bavauto.com
Apples to oranges. That's all aftermarket.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #59
beberle

My Ride: 2009 328 wagon
So I talked to the non-Service Manager at the dealer. They charged $618 for labor for the fuel pump & fuel filter!!!! I expected the $50 fuel filter and $350 pump. What's the $6.50 for BRAKE CLEANER!? He said they cleaned the fuel tank... w/ BRAKE CLEANER??
I asked him how many hours they charged for the work. His response: we don't charge hours, it's a fixed price per-job.
I reply, this job should have only taken 21/2 hours, are you charging $250/hr labor? His response: where do you get that time. I replied: BMW forums. His reply: that's not the offical 'book'. I reply: I've done fuel pump changes myself in under 2 hours. His response: the price is non-negotiable. Then he says he'll look up the book times just for me. He comes back with 4.1 hours to change the pump, 1.7 hours to drain fuel, and .4 hours for the filter... 6.2 hours. I'm not an idiot (other than taking my car to the dealer), I know he basically divided $618 by $100/hr to pull those #s.
I'm writing to BMW USA, but that's going to provide little satisfaction.
beberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #60
blarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by beberle View Post
So I talked to the non-Service Manager at the dealer. They charged $618 for labor for the fuel pump & fuel filter!!!! I expected the $50 fuel filter and $350 pump. What's the $6.50 for BRAKE CLEANER!? He said they cleaned the fuel tank... w/ BRAKE CLEANER??
I asked him how many hours they charged for the work. His response: we don't charge hours, it's a fixed price per-job.
I reply, this job should have only taken 21/2 hours, are you charging $250/hr labor? His response: where do you get that time. I replied: BMW forums. His reply: that's not the offical 'book'. I reply: I've done fuel pump changes myself in under 2 hours. His response: the price is non-negotiable. Then he says he'll look up the book times just for me. He comes back with 4.1 hours to change the pump, 1.7 hours to drain fuel, and .4 hours for the filter... 6.2 hours. I'm not an idiot (other than taking my car to the dealer), I know he basically divided $618 by $100/hr to pull those #s.
I'm writing to BMW USA, but that's going to provide little satisfaction.
Well, yeah, don't tell him some random people on the intertubes told you it should take this much. Go to another dealer and have them print out an estimate for the job. Or take the flat-rate code off of your invoice to another dealer and ask them how much they'd charge. Or, take it up with your credit card company.

Tags
diy, fuel pump