E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
safly325i

My Ride: 03 BMW 325i
New 325i issue..

Hello ALL, new to the forum. The main reason that brought me here was an issue I encountered today. Just picked up today a 2003 325i, 5-speed manual, 82k, great condition. Car feels great, no issues, until. Left my house and headed down some side streets. Everything was fine until I downshifted from 3 to 2 before a turn I had to make and I heard/felt a hard noise like I grinded a gear, but worse. Then proceeded to hear something metal hit the underbody of the car and the ground. Pulled over and found the piece that came off, didn't see anything else. Drove onto a main road and it felt fine. Went back home, drove it up on ramps and found where this piece came from. I'll attatch some picures. I'm really hoping you guys can lend me some info in diagnosing what the hell this is and how to go about repairing it and how much? The car is only under a 30-day warranty through the dealer (not a BMW dealer). Please help, desperate at this point
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110630_204014.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	408084   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110630_214000.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	408085  
safly325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
doshu

My Ride: E46 CI
Send a message via AIM to doshu
That looks like one of the belt pulleys (idler if I my memory serves me right) on the first picture.. Your car would have overheated though if you lost that.. Unless it is a/c pulley.. So maybe a transmission mount since your second picture is of transmission.. ? You can easily rule out the belt by looking at it though, if either one is really loose, thats the problem. I am hoping its just that, because the part itself is cheap and if the bolt is just snapped and threads are fine, should be an easy fix. If it is a pulley.. If transmission mount, well I have seen bad mounts but never any mount flying off..

I really cant tell it apart looking at the first pic.. maybe someonelse can figure out what it is..

Last edited by doshu; 06-30-2011 at 09:17 PM.
doshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
safly325i

thanks for the reply, i'm 99% sure it's not the belt pulley or anything from the engine. I prob should have mentioned that it is about the size of a quarter and that piece fits in a empty hole on that thing in the middle of the second picture. I just have no idea what it is or what it's called. At first I thought it was the transmission, but I'm really not sure. The only thing I can find that looks remotely similar is a front differential mount bushing and they said it can break under load so maybe I downshifted a bit too hard and that did it?
Old 06-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
doshu

does it look like that one right there?
Old 06-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
safly325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by doshu View Post

does it look like that one right there?
No, quarter size diameter, MUCH thinner.

Almost resembles this: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-22...t-bushing.aspx
Old 06-30-2011, 09:51 PM   #6
doshu

How about one of those, one bolt hole is quarter size, maybe it tore off? This things eventually get baked and toasted and start going all over the place, rubber pieces flying around.. Thats the only thing I can think off the size of a quarter around there..

Last edited by doshu; 06-30-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:43 PM   #7
someguy_99

My Ride: E46,335Xi,Lambo,...
Mount bushing
someguy_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:47 PM   #8
doshu

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy_99 View Post
Mount bushing
you mean subframe?
Old 07-01-2011, 05:28 AM   #9
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/f/a/32.png

You seem to have lost your exhaust bracket...lucky guy!

Note the little donuts...pretty sure this is it, since, you know, you don't have the exhaust bracket!

OP, please wait though before you replace this missing part...there's a legend here who knows all, sees all, and for a limited time, is extremely nice to all the noobs. I'm pretty sure he'll come on, tell you what a genius he is, and if he's that smart, will also encourage you to listen to everything I say!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:37 AM   #10
safly325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/f/a/32.png

You seem to have lost your exhaust bracket...lucky guy!

Note the little donuts...pretty sure this is it, since, you know, you don't have the exhaust bracket!

OP, please wait though before you replace this missing part...there's a legend here who knows all, sees all, and for a limited time, is extremely nice to all the noobs. I'm pretty sure he'll come on, tell you what a genius he is, and if he's that smart, will also encourage you to listen to everything I say!
THAT'S IT! It's funny you know, when I first looked at the car, at idle the exhaust bracket was making a rattling sound so supposedly the dealer tightened it. Guessing they did it too tight and it broke under the load of downshifting? What should I do next? Go to the steelership and have them do it and give the bill to the dealer I bought it, or get the part and do it myself? Keep in mind the dealer where I bought the car has a 30-day warranty, but I pay the first $100..
Old 07-01-2011, 06:47 AM   #11
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Should be a very easy diy. That bracket rusts and falls off...has happened before here (Solidjake lost his iirc...and I do!).

Can't be more than $30 in parts and a few mins...after you get the car up in the air a bit.

And, while you're there, study up on the 'check your subframe yourself' thread and have a look at that for grins. If you see anything after cleaning up around the rear mounts, that you should present to the dealer for repair...as it's a $4-5K bill at BMW.

That's the biggest issue any of our cars have 'naturally'; this bracket is nothing, but get to it soonish!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote