E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
napaxcon

My Ride: 02 325i
exhaust clamps

I noticed some loud rattling grinding sound when i got in my car on the way home from work today. thought it might be something bad, it would happen when i put my car in reverse or start to drive or turn the wheel. i stuck my head under and had my girlfriend mess around with the wheels and pop it in and out of drive and i saw the exhaust pipes were shaking in the middle of the car.... turns out it was a broken clamp, the bolt rotted thru so i ordered new upper lower and bolt. But, my ses light also came on while i was driving like this. PO174 is the code i get on a generic odb2. it says system is to lean (bank 2 ). i got this code before 2 months ago i cleand the mafs and turned the ses light off and it stayed untill now. Does anyone know why this code comes up. Could i have a crack in my exhaust or maybe just a dirty sensor or what. i dont know im stumped . i figured it could also be a vac leak but i havnt found one yet. any help thoughts would be great, thanks !
napaxcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Oiled air filters like the KnN have at times fouled MAFs. Do you have one?

If not, presumptive winner for lean seems to be the lower intake boot...the elbow going to ICV cracks often!

You could have an intake leak elsewhere.

Your fuel filter could be clogged. (At some point, fuel pump might be failing...but you're not there quite yet).

Too much air or too little fuel or some combination of the two, as far as I know...and I know I don't know a lot!

All this is my way of being polite and suggesting you type 0174 into advanced search/title search. I think you'll find about 12,000 threads on it!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30

Last edited by dmax; 07-01-2011 at 07:20 PM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
napaxcon

I have, and yes there are like 120000. I just like to get info everywhere i can. and yes i have an oiled afe stage 1 cold air intake. and im also going to check the lower boot tomorrow . ill solve the problem , just dont know when!
Old 07-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by napaxcon View Post
I have, and yes there are like 120000. I just like to get info everywhere i can. and yes i have an oiled afe stage 1 cold air intake. and im also going to check the lower boot tomorrow . ill solve the problem , just dont know when!
If you have your original air intake, try losing the oiled filter, cleaning maf and giving that a shot.

The guys designing our cars are far smarter and have access to data we just don't have. I'm pretty sure they designed a really nice air intake for us, along with the entire rest of the bmw.

You must have seen many threads on oiled filters causing maf issues. The maf is a very sensitive sensor...think about it...it's reading air mass through those tiny little wires somehow. The wires are coated with oil so I suspect it is somehow tricked into thinking that there's a lot less air coming in than there really is and thus it's not giving you enough fuel.

Start the fix by getting the car back to the car it was and work from there.

Admittedly, if it ain't OE, I'm not going to like it, because I don't think our cars like it...most of the time.

I put a hula dancer bobble head on my dash...the very next day I ran out of gas and I know I'd filled up the week before. Had to be the hula dancing. It doesn't get much more scientific than that!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
napaxcon

changed the clamp todayy didnt jack the car up or nothing so i could only use one arm cause it is all that would fit. i had to rest the top clamp on the pipes whil tring to hold the bottom one from shaking while screwing in the bolt to the top one using only the weight of the top clamp to keep it in place...... it sucked, i was on the ground so long a bug crawled into my ear. if anyone has to do this i think the best way would be to use your common sence like i didnt and jack it up. yaaaaaaaaa

Tags
clamps, exhaust, leak, po174