E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 01:17 AM   #1
Alpha Beta

My Ride: Los Angeles
What do you think about this car?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Front end around the grill and the bumper have rock chips and looks really awful! There's a ding on the driver side as well.
Alpha Beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:29 AM   #2
farmdog

My Ride: Acura TL
I would keep looking.....what color and options do you want?
Old 07-02-2011, 01:35 AM   #3
crazyafghanguy

My Ride: E46 M3
walk far far away from that! price is way too high

01 M3
Black/Black 6 Speed
Style 95
Amber All Around
Ac Schnitzer Muffler
ZCP Brake Upgrade
crazyafghanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:16 AM   #4
Alpha Beta

It's one of the few Manual transmission around. I got him to lower the price below $10.500

I like the Nav and sound system and the car is mecanically sound.

Honestly if it wasn't for the rock chips around the kidney grill and bumper, it would've been a done deal- Not at that price of course.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:31 AM   #5
Alpha Beta

Also private seller. No dealer sales tax, fees, document fee, smog fee, license estimate! etc etc ... That license estimate thingy, one dealer showed $400!!
Old 07-02-2011, 02:39 AM   #6
Hacauce

My Ride: M3
It seems like you like the car OP, so you should go for it. I would check if he has records of maintenance to make sure you don't get screwed over when/if you buy it.

Hacauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:08 AM   #7
Alpha Beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacauce View Post
It seems like you like the car OP, so you should go for it. I would check if he has records of maintenance to make sure you don't get screwed over when/if you buy it.
That's the thing, cosmetically the car looks really bad. It has the worst paint condition of all cars I've seen. But the Nav, sound system, heated seats/ cold package, are all extra that my X car didn't have. I had K123 miles and this car has K125 miles. So basically I'm jumping from one to another with added feature, Nav, and sound system. I have to add few hundered dollar outta my pocket though.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:15 AM   #8
farmdog

My Ride: Acura TL
cosmetically the car looks really bad
Old 07-02-2011, 03:30 AM   #9
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
If 10k then it's a fine deal. Assume no immediate maintenance is needed.
If you want to fix the dents then $500 gets u a nice m3 bumper.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #10
Alpha Beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
If 10k then it's a fine deal. Assume no immediate maintenance is needed.
If you want to fix the dents then $500 gets u a nice m3 bumper.

I couldn't find anything wrong with it mechanically. The vanos in my car sounded a lot rougher than his. And the ticking sound comming from the disa is rather subdued. Plus it's his daily driver vs a car sitting at a dealer lot!

When I totaled my car 2 weeks ago, it had 123K miles on it. This one has around 125K miles. So basically I'm swapping cars for one with better features (didn't have heated seats/cold package, Xenon) plus Nav and sound system, and M6 wheels, for a mere few hundred bucks extra.

Not to mention mine was an 01 and this is an 03

Last edited by Alpha Beta; 07-02-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #11
maurer

My Ride: 04 Coupe
Its priced way to high. I bought my 04 325ci for 10.5k with 85k miles with all options except heated seats and nav. Be patient and keep looking. Try looking in diff states if you exhausted your resources in your area. I love flying out of state and driving my new car back home. Its a good time to bond with your new love
maurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #12
Alpha Beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurer View Post
Its priced way to high. I bought my 04 325ci for 10.5k with 85k miles with all options except heated seats and nav. Be patient and keep looking. Try looking in diff states if you exhausted your resources in your area. I love flying out of state and driving my new car back home. Its a good time to bond with your new love
I've found plenty of 04 325CI for 9.5. I even found 04 330CI for that price. But they were automatic! That's a deal breaker for me.

325 and 330 is a big difference. Specially when my previous car was a 330.

After market nav, heated seats/cold weather package and sound system do weigh in both, the final price and the way the car looks and feels.

Last edited by Alpha Beta; 07-02-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #13
MercForHire

Buy it. It's upgrades are worth the price.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #14
Alpha Beta

His final offer was $10,250
Old 07-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #15
Lusticles

My Ride: 325Ci
Overpriced.

Just an FYI -- if you're looking to buy ten year old cars with upwards of 100,000 miles, you're not going to find many without rock chips.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #16
MercForHire

Make sure the brakes are good. Water pump changed in the last 50000 km.
No bad suspensions parts and etc, fresh oil change.
Basically at that price. You shouldn't be looking at any major maintainence task for at least 1 year. If not then the price is too high.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #17
Alpha Beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusticles View Post
Overpriced.

Just an FYI -- if you're looking to buy ten year old cars with upwards of 100,000 miles, you're not going to find many without rock chips.
Actually that car was the only car from the dozen I've checked that had rock chips at the front end. The reason I haven't gotten the other ones is because the dealer tax, markup, fees etc ... Basically there's at least $1500 to $1700 added to the initial sale price.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #18
Alpha Beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Make sure the brakes are good. Water pump changed in the last 50000 km.
No bad suspensions parts and etc, fresh oil change.
Basically at that price. You shouldn't be looking at any major maintainence task for at least 1 year. If not then the price is too high.
He's willing to let it go at $10,250. With a new clutch, upgrades, M6 wheels and maintenace record, I'm thinking I could do that.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:06 AM   #19
KLew46

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328ci
truthfully, I know that the upgrades make it seem like a good deal but things like the manual tranny, aftermarket stereo, and woofers really devalue a car in the used car market. reliability should definitely be your first priority and I'm sure that the dealer could come down lower on the price

to give you a reference -- back in April I got my 2000 328ci 5spd with 110k miles on it for $8000. he also put a aftermarket nav system in it along with other upgrades... and it was from a private seller as well so I believe that he could definitely come down below $10k. granted, yours is heavily loaded w/ options like heated seats and xenos and is an 03.. but with 125k on the clock, soon there are gonna be some things that have to be tended to. for example, within weeks my expansion tank failed. luckily I was sitting right there on the BMW lot but it was $350 instantly down the drain.

not saying that this is a bad deal. but I think there is definitely some room to play with here on the price. and like MercForHire said -- with that price there shouldn't be anything major to repair anytime soon. have your mechanic look at it

good luck!
KLew46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:16 AM   #20
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
Personally, I think that the one in the OP photos is the fugliest coupe that I've ever seen. Black wheels on a blue car. Looks like a rolling bruise.

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote