E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
Jepenboii
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Orlando
Posts: 45
My Ride: Bmw 325ci
Diy: Noob question

Been wanting to paint my inner hi beam light on the e46 but have seen all diy's with stained glass paint. Which paint is recommended if i want to paint it black?
Help would be great, thanks for helping this noob out..
Thanks
Jepenboii is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:15 AM   #2
crazyafghanguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Aliso Viejo, CA
Posts: 1,147
My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepenboii View Post
Been wanting to paint my inner hi beam light on the e46 but have seen all diy's with stained glass paint. Which paint is recommended if i want to paint it black?
Help would be great, thanks for helping this noob out..
Thanks
i used plati-dip because its reversible
__________________

01 M3
Black/Black 6 Speed
Style 95
Amber All Around
Ac Schnitzer Muffler
ZCP Brake Upgrade
crazyafghanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
DangerousMind
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SF Bay area
Posts: 992
My Ride: Sierra 1500 SLT
You realize that your high beams will be rendered utterly useless if you paint the reflector bowls black.
__________________
DangerousMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
Bimmer4Lyfe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: 129 West 81st St. 5A, New York, New York 10024
Posts: 2,466
My Ride: 02 325i
i used the same stuff that you would use to tint tail lights (VHT night shades)
because it is translucent and will let the chrome come through... like a smoked chrome.




highbeams will be useless... but I never used them anyways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01ae.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	409508  
__________________

-j

Last edited by Bimmer4Lyfe; 07-14-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Bimmer4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
Jepenboii
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Orlando
Posts: 45
My Ride: Bmw 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4Lyfe View Post
i used the same stuff that you would use to tint tail lights (VHT night shades)
because it is translucent and will let the chrome come through... like a smoked chrome.




highbeams will be useless... but I never used them anyways.

Thanks for the help really appreciate it.
Same here rarely use the halogen hi beams have the HID hi's so why not lol
Jepenboii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
Bemwe_03i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cal AB garage
Posts: 1,237
My Ride: 2003.5 E46 M3 smg IR
cool diy

":blah I HAVE A BIG GOAL, ITS GET MY BMW FOR RACE. IGNORANT PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHO JUST WHANT TO CHANGE THE WORLD AS YOU SEE, ARE JUST LOOSERS WHO ARE AFRAID TO MAKE CHANGES, I HAVE A GOAL , AND THIS IS JUST THE BEGGINING. SORRY FOR YOU. IF YOU WHANT PEOPLE SEE THE WORLD AS YOU SEE,AND YOU CANT ACCEPT WHAT OTHERS DO. IM SORRY FOR YOU. GO TOTHE DOCTOR AND GET SOME PILLS."
Bemwe_03i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
dmax
Registered User
 
dmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 22,827
My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousMind View Post
You realize that your high beams will be rendered utterly useless if you paint the reflector bowls black.
But most of the time it looks kind of awesome. How often, really, might OP be on a rode at night, alone, gps on the blink, running low on gas needing to see the deers ahead, amassing to stare at his headlights...from the middle of the road?

OP, I think dangerous is thinking safety...which is incredibly ironic...and thinking of you...which is nice.

The others here might just be thinking of helping your achieve your goal, and that might seem nice, but not as nice as being warned that you might be doing something that will reduce the performance of a critical feature on the car.

Could you maybe think of something else nice to do for your car? Have you had it long? How many miles? How do you drive? Manny/auto? Etc.

Tell us that and we'll get you some things you might consider that will give your more of your bmw so you forget about looking nice and have a reason to see better.
__________________


Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #8
southpaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sun Diego
Posts: 15,282
My Ride: E36 M3 and E36 318ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemwe_03i View Post
cool diy

":blah I HAVE A BIG GOAL, ITS GET MY BMW FOR RACE. IGNORANT PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHO JUST WHANT TO CHANGE THE WORLD AS YOU SEE, ARE JUST LOOSERS WHO ARE AFRAID TO MAKE CHANGES, I HAVE A GOAL , AND THIS IS JUST THE BEGGINING. SORRY FOR YOU. IF YOU WHANT PEOPLE SEE THE WORLD AS YOU SEE,AND YOU CANT ACCEPT WHAT OTHERS DO. IM SORRY FOR YOU. GO TOTHE DOCTOR AND GET SOME PILLS."
Calm down, Billy Mays.
__________________
-Brandon

239whp/227wtq @2700lbs
southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:27 PM   #9
Bemwe_03i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cal AB garage
Posts: 1,237
My Ride: 2003.5 E46 M3 smg IR
Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
Calm down, Billy Mays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc336 View Post
:blah I HAVE A BIG GOAL, ITS GET MY BMW FOR RACE. IGNORANT PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHO JUST WHANT TO CHANGE THE WORLD AS YOU SEE, ARE JUST LOOSERS WHO ARE AFRAID TO MAKE CHANGES, I HAVE A GOAL , AND THIS IS JUST THE BEGGINING. SORRY FOR YOU. IF YOU WHANT PEOPLE SEE THE WORLD AS YOU SEE,AND YOU CANT ACCEPT WHAT OTHERS DO. IM SORRY FOR YOU. GO TOTHE DOCTOR AND GET SOME PILLS.
//
Bemwe_03i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:51 PM   #10
Bimmer4Lyfe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: 129 West 81st St. 5A, New York, New York 10024
Posts: 2,466
My Ride: 02 325i
I've had my car for several years, in those years I can't recall a time when I ever used them.
Perhaps your driving conditions where you live could play a part in their necessity.
What will get you hurt or killed these days is the temptation to flash a fellow motorist who may do someting on the road that displeases you. High output headlitghts, fog lites and angel eyes should cover it.


That being said, it i nice to see folks caring about saftey, yours & others.
I certainly did not want to encourge reckless behavior.
I did mine after i ruined the bowls imo, doing the yellow thing.
I didnt care for it but coulnt get rid of the yellow completely,
Considering rendering the hi beams useless was my personal decision, based on the fact that i never used em...

Consider the previous advice and do what you think is best.
GL
__________________

-j

Last edited by Bimmer4Lyfe; 07-14-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Bimmer4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:04 PM   #11
dmax
Registered User
 
dmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 22,827
My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4Lyfe View Post
I've had my car for several years, in those years I can't recall a time when I ever used them.
Perhaps your driving conditions where you live could play a part in their necessity.
What will get you hurt or killed these days is the temptation to flash a fellow motorist who may do someting on the road that displeases you. High output headlitghts, fog lites and angel eyes should cover it.
W81st? I could see you're not needing high beams. I use them all the time, but then our darkness is far different since I'm 15 miles west of you!

I'll often use them...but then I'm one of the two here that doesn't have AEs! I'm thinking of adding kangeroo spotting floods on my front bumper, though, as they seem like nice animals and I'm really worried about killing one. I've read a lot about them here...seems like they're a menace all over the place! Seriously, though, I could feed every fanatic every day with the road killed deer I've seen. I've been trying for a squirrel, but they're fast. Cats are fast too, but quite a bit larger target than squirrels.

Anyway, you're in NYC...doesn't get dark until you get to just about where I live!

BTW, I want a Quarter Pounder for some reason? Are you a viral marketing shill for McD's?

Oh, and do you really have your street address listed? You know some of us here are psycho, some moron, some both...and that covers the majority. Shouldn't you practice 'safe Internet'?
__________________


Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com

Last edited by dmax; 07-14-2011 at 10:10 PM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:15 PM   #12
Bimmer4Lyfe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: 129 West 81st St. 5A, New York, New York 10024
Posts: 2,466
My Ride: 02 325i
That NY address is Jerry Seinfelds address in the show...

That and the McD's sig are my subtle & dry attempts at humor...

Big mac sounds great now that you mention it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
W81st? I could see you're not needing high beams. I use them all the time, but then our darkness is far different since I'm 15 miles west of you!

I'll often use them...but then I'm one of the two here that doesn't have AEs! I'm thinking of adding kangeroo spotting floods on my front bumper, though, as they seem like nice animals and I'm really worried about killing one. I've read a lot about them here...seems like they're a menace all over the place! Seriously, though, I could feed every fanatic every day with the road killed deer I've seen. I've been trying for a squirrel, but they're fast. Cats are fast too, but quite a bit larger target than squirrels.

Anyway, you're in NYC...doesn't get dark until you get to just about where I live!

BTW, I want a Quarter Pounder for some reason? Are you a viral marketing shill for McD's?

Oh, and do you really have your street address listed? You know some of us here are psycho, some moron, some both...and that covers the majority. Shouldn't you practice 'safe Internet'?
__________________

-j

Last edited by Bimmer4Lyfe; 07-15-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Bimmer4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:41 PM   #13
Vault
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NEPA
Posts: 131
My Ride: 2005 330xi
I live in upstate NY. If I travel more than three miles in any direction, I NEED TO USE MY HIGH BEAMS or risk running into any number of warm-blooded creatures. I wouldn't dream of tinting or painting my lights.
__________________

Plasti Dip Tutorial: [Link]
Vault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #14
DangerousMind
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SF Bay area
Posts: 992
My Ride: Sierra 1500 SLT
__________________
DangerousMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use