E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2016, 10:22 AM   #1
SuperFan86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 38
My Ride: '14 Jeep GC
AirBnb Hosting

My fiance and I just started hosting with AirBnB to generate some extra income for our wedding and honeymoon and love it. Currently we have listed our 2 spare bedrooms and just added a 2nd listing for our entire house that is only available on the weekends.

We have been hosting for a month and have already brought in over $1400. After listing the house last night I already have an inquiry from someone pending for an additional $500 and a confirmed booking while we are on our honeymoon for $400. At our current pace, AirBnB is going to pay for our entire wedding and possibly a good portion of the honeymoon.

I didn't see a thread posted, so figured we should get one started for those interested in hosting, new to hosting, or veterans of the rental.

I have a few questions for those who host:
1) How do taxes work? I understand that the first 14 days is "masters law" exempt, but does AirBnB report my income or do they send it to me and I self report?
2) I don't currently charge a cleaning fee (we just schedule our existing maid service around guests) or keep a deposit. Has anyone had issues with damages? If so, how does that work?
3) Anyone know how to link 2 listings for the same property together in the Calendar?
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN
I was stayign at this one girls ass for what felt like 5 mins. My gil sadi what the fvck are you looking at. I said just thnking about how beautiful she was goign to look in her wedding dress. Road head for the win.

Last edited by SuperFan86; 07-26-2016 at 10:22 AM.
SuperFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:26 AM   #2
trizzuth
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: MA$$HOLE
Posts: 5,808
My Ride: 224k, 15yr old B3AST
so the real big question is: Are you letting random people stay in your house, alone, while you are not there during your honeymoon?

yikes.
__________________
trizzuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:38 AM   #3
MorganFreeman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: i hate cats
Posts: 81
My Ride: bacon
I'd rather sell drugs to make extra money than to let strangers live in my house. Too many variables to deal with.
__________________
MorganFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:21 PM   #4
TNTBOOM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: new jersey
Posts: 327
My Ride: NJ transit
https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/...work-for-hosts
TNTBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:44 PM   #5
SuperFan86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 38
My Ride: '14 Jeep GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTBOOM View Post
Thanks. couldn't seem to find that before. Looks like I'll be self reporting my income.


Hard to believe none of the hustlers here are in on this. Airbnb runs a background check on anyone who joins the site and we don't accept anyone who doesn't already have a positive track record and verified identity. They also insure our property and possessions if something was to go wrong.

We like it because we get to meet new people from all over the world. Whenever we travel we stay at B&Bs, and really enjoy sharing breakfast and evenings with total strangers, so flipping the role to host was something that seemed totally normal for us to do. I guess different strokes...
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN
I was stayign at this one girls ass for what felt like 5 mins. My gil sadi what the fvck are you looking at. I said just thnking about how beautiful she was goign to look in her wedding dress. Road head for the win.

Last edited by SuperFan86; 07-26-2016 at 12:46 PM.
SuperFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:46 PM   #6
trizzuth
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: MA$$HOLE
Posts: 5,808
My Ride: 224k, 15yr old B3AST
you sound lonely
__________________
trizzuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:49 PM   #7
SuperFan86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 38
My Ride: '14 Jeep GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
you sound lonely
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN
I was stayign at this one girls ass for what felt like 5 mins. My gil sadi what the fvck are you looking at. I said just thnking about how beautiful she was goign to look in her wedding dress. Road head for the win.
SuperFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:53 PM   #8
217Bimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Illinoise
Posts: 148
My Ride: Dodge Durango
pics pf fiance. need to decide if i should stay with u or not
__________________
** Political signature removed - Tim330i **

Quote:
I always have to laugh when I see a thread described as "Not Work Safe." Is there anything on the OT forum that's really "work safe"? If I were your boss, I'd be mad if you spent any time on this forum at work at all. How is a picture of a naked girl any less work safe than, say, a picture of a matador getting gored in the *** by an angry bull? - VaderDave
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:14 PM   #9
MorganFreeman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: i hate cats
Posts: 81
My Ride: bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFan86 View Post
Thanks. couldn't seem to find that before. Looks like I'll be self reporting my income.


Hard to believe none of the hustlers here are in on this. Airbnb runs a background check on anyone who joins the site and we don't accept anyone who doesn't already have a positive track record and verified identity. They also insure our property and possessions if something was to go wrong.

We like it because we get to meet new people from all over the world. Whenever we travel we stay at B&Bs, and really enjoy sharing breakfast and evenings with total strangers, so flipping the role to host was something that seemed totally normal for us to do. I guess different strokes...

Ok, that sounds nice and all but what's to stop the renters from mapping out every nook and corners of your house so that can return or have someone return at a later date and rob you? What's stopping the renters from opening up your walls to stash their money/drugs? Yup, you verify their identity and all but that doesn't mean anything.
__________________
MorganFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:20 PM   #10
aarondb4
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 439
My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CI Vert
Uh, I use AirBnB whenever possible, but I sure as hell don't remember ever submitting to a background check. It is mostly based on reviews, the host has the option to refuse you if you have bad reviews.

We have used it 5+ times and have enjoyed it every time. I only go for the listings where I can have the whole house, or where it is a detached studio or something on the property. I don't necessarily want to talk to or interact with the owners while I am there, I just want a private place to stay. Has worked out well, the last two places I never even met the owner, just used the app to communicate.

We have a 5 bedroom house and just the wife and I living in it so I have considered listing. But as it would be a room in the house and not a separate space I am not so keen on the idea so far. I might list a travel trailer on the property or something along those lines.
__________________
2002 BMW 330CI Convertible
aarondb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:24 PM   #11
SuperFan86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 38
My Ride: '14 Jeep GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
pics pf fiance. need to decide if i should stay with u or not
you should stay with us.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN
I was stayign at this one girls ass for what felt like 5 mins. My gil sadi what the fvck are you looking at. I said just thnking about how beautiful she was goign to look in her wedding dress. Road head for the win.
SuperFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:36 PM   #12
SuperFan86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 38
My Ride: '14 Jeep GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganFreeman View Post
Ok, that sounds nice and all but what's to stop the renters from mapping out every nook and corners of your house so that can return or have someone return at a later date and rob you? What's stopping the renters from opening up your walls to stash their money/drugs? Yup, you verify their identity and all but that doesn't mean anything.
Nothing. Just trust.

We are buying a coded door lock that you can give temporary access to people using their phones as the key. That eliminates 1 security vulnerability, but we accept the risk of having strangers living in our home.

Airbnb is doing more vetting than I did when I had a roommate, which is the logic I use to justify it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondb4 View Post
Uh, I use AirBnB whenever possible, but I sure as hell don't remember ever submitting to a background check. It is mostly based on reviews, the host has the option to refuse you if you have bad reviews.

We have used it 5+ times and have enjoyed it every time. I only go for the listings where I can have the whole house, or where it is a detached studio or something on the property. I don't necessarily want to talk to or interact with the owners while I am there, I just want a private place to stay. Has worked out well, the last two places I never even met the owner, just used the app to communicate.

We have a 5 bedroom house and just the wife and I living in it so I have considered listing. But as it would be a room in the house and not a separate space I am not so keen on the idea so far. I might list a travel trailer on the property or something along those lines.
When I signed up for an account it verified my last 3 addresses and some other personal information before the account was created. It linked to my Facebook for another layer of verification. When I decided to host I uploaded a copy of my DL as well.

I usually get 2 totally different types of responses from people who are interested in the concept when I tell them we host a room. "I'd want more separation" or "I'd love to meet more people."

We like staying in private rentals sometimes (we are when we go to Florence in a few months), but also enjoy the shared spaces that often offer a unique experience or a better location. For example, we stayed in a tree house that was technically a shared space.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN
I was stayign at this one girls ass for what felt like 5 mins. My gil sadi what the fvck are you looking at. I said just thnking about how beautiful she was goign to look in her wedding dress. Road head for the win.
SuperFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:45 PM   #13
aarondb4
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 439
My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CI Vert
I just checked my profile to be sure I wasn't talking out of my ass. There is no background check. The only info I have verified with them is my email address and my phone number, they don't even have an address on me. There are options to do further verifications, but it is optional, and there is nothing even close to a background check.

Not to disparage the idea, I like Airbnb and always try to use it over hotels and such, just clarifying that it is really all based on trust and the reviews system. I find it causes me to be more careful with and respectful of the place. If I leave a hotel room trashed, who cares, as long as there isn't permanent damage it doesn't matter to anyone. If I am a slob jackoff at an Airbnb, I will get a bad review and it will make it much harder to book the next place. My wife and I go the extra mile to clean up when we are done with an Airbnb just so our review record stays perfect.
__________________
2002 BMW 330CI Convertible
aarondb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:53 PM   #14
SuperFan86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 38
My Ride: '14 Jeep GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondb4 View Post
I just checked my profile to be sure I wasn't talking out of my ass. There is no background check. The only info I have verified with them is my email address and my phone number, they don't even have an address on me. There are options to do further verifications, but it is optional, and there is nothing even close to a background check.

Not to disparage the idea, I like Airbnb and always try to use it over hotels and such, just clarifying that it is really all based on trust and the reviews system. I find it causes me to be more careful with and respectful of the place. If I leave a hotel room trashed, who cares, as long as there isn't permanent damage it doesn't matter to anyone. If I am a slob jackoff at an Airbnb, I will get a bad review and it will make it much harder to book the next place. My wife and I go the extra mile to clean up when we are done with an Airbnb just so our review record stays perfect.
Must be a new thing or something. Both me and my fiance had to go through it when we signed up. Who knows.

Either way, at the end of the day it all relies on peer reviews. We take a risk hosting anyone, but for us the adventure is well worth it and our neighbors who have been hosting for over a year have never had a problem.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN
I was stayign at this one girls ass for what felt like 5 mins. My gil sadi what the fvck are you looking at. I said just thnking about how beautiful she was goign to look in her wedding dress. Road head for the win.
SuperFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:57 PM   #15
MDydinanM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 760
My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFan86 View Post
We take a risk hosting anyone, but for us the adventure is well worth it

Until something goes wrong....


MDydinanM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:13 PM   #16
217Bimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Illinoise
Posts: 148
My Ride: Dodge Durango
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDydinanM View Post
Until something goes wrong....


__________________
** Political signature removed - Tim330i **

Quote:
I always have to laugh when I see a thread described as "Not Work Safe." Is there anything on the OT forum that's really "work safe"? If I were your boss, I'd be mad if you spent any time on this forum at work at all. How is a picture of a naked girl any less work safe than, say, a picture of a matador getting gored in the *** by an angry bull? - VaderDave
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:27 PM   #17
MorganFreeman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: i hate cats
Posts: 81
My Ride: bacon
^he has a nice butt
__________________
MorganFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:44 PM   #18
Brucifer325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 132
My Ride: 2007 Ford Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganFreeman View Post
^he has a nice butt
pray that's a he.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
I'm doing something wrong with my life.

"Love Us with Money, or We'll Hate you with Hammers!" - Milk & Cheese
BMWCCA# 147961
Brucifer325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:57 PM   #19
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: los angeles
Posts: 11,098
My Ride: '01 325i/'16 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFan86 View Post
Airbnb runs a background check on anyone who joins the site
they let me in ...

__________________

2016 BMW 328i 6MT/M Sport Package/Track Handling Package
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:03 PM   #20
bgsmith
Registered User
 
bgsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Hingham, MA
Posts: 1,165
My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFan86 View Post
Must be a new thing or something. Both me and my fiance had to go through it when we signed up. Who knows.

Either way, at the end of the day it all relies on peer reviews. We take a risk hosting anyone, but for us the adventure is well worth it and our neighbors who have been hosting for over a year have never had a problem.
I think you are getting confused, yeah they may do background checks on hosts, but they don't seem to do much of anything on the guests which is the other posters concern, there is no check on the people that will be staying in your house.
__________________
2006 TRD Sport 4x4, Wheels - 17x8 Pro Comp Series 52 Rock Crawlers
bgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2016 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use