E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2016, 07:47 PM   #1
CJin2552

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325Ci
Looking for advice on a car purchase

I am at a point where I'm going to be able to get myself a 'new-to-me' car. It is a private seller from eBay, he originally had the car posted for sale on Craigslist but it never sold. He has listed it on eBay and I have decided that it is the car that I want to buy.

There are over 20 watchers on the listing and I don't want the car to be snagged as I am waiting for my current car to sell before I have the funds in hand to pay for the next car. I asked if he might could hold it until the beginning of the new year and he said that he would like me to make a deposit on the car just in case the deal falls through.

Is there a safe way to go about making a deposit other than just hoping for the life of you that he will hold up his end of the bargain? I can say that I have every intention of buying this car.

Another thing is that I will be buying this car out of state. It is probably somewhere around 8 hours from where I live and I would like to know what actions I need to take in order to drive the car back home legally.

Any help would be appreciated, especially from one of you who has been in a like situation.
CJin2552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:56 PM   #2
GasKing
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 1990 Yugo GVC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJin2552 View Post
'new-to-me' car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1480640143.211371.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	646291
You the type of dude to hold a coffee mug with 2 hands.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:58 PM   #3
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
How old are you and what car is this? Unless it's a rare one of a kind Ferrari 250GTO California, there's no reason you should be banking on this thing. Sell yours first and then find something else.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:00 PM   #4
GasKing
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 1990 Yugo GVC
I stopped reading at 'new to me'. Not because he's buying a used car
Old 12-01-2016, 08:09 PM   #5
CJin2552

Funny comment, GasKing, but not really helpful.

SamDoe, the options that it comes with are exactly what I am wanting. I have not seen one like it for a very long time, especially in the condition that it is in, and not for the price that is being asked. Another thing is that I have most of the cash in hand already, but I am not interested in having to make payments. I would rather just sell my car and get the full amount of cash in hand and not have to worry about month to month payments.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:34 PM   #6
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: ///GT3 RSR
Do you only own one car and need a car to function in life?
Is buying the "new" car before selling the current one going to set you back financially?

You are not in a position to buy this car if you answered yes to any of these questions.

Last edited by BreakfastBurrito; 12-01-2016 at 08:36 PM.
BreakfastBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:39 PM   #7
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
Just buy a new car and make payments. Saves you the headache of hidden repairs.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:39 PM   #8
CJin2552

I do have another car to drive, I'm just waiting for my primary car to sell so that I can pay cash in full rather than taking out a loan.
I don't need a car to function in life, but I have a backup vehicle just in case.
I wouldn't say that it would set me back financially.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:29 PM   #9
-Ross-
OEM ///Member

My Ride: Jeep JK/Yamaha FZ1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post

Quote:
Lol
-Ross- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:07 PM   #10
SamDoe1

Quote:

SamDoe, the options that it comes with are exactly what I am wanting. I have not seen one like it for a very long time, especially in the condition that it is in, and not for the price that is being asked. Another thing is that I have most of the cash in hand already, but I am not interested in having to make payments. I would rather just sell my car and get the full amount of cash in hand and not have to worry about month to month payments.
If you don't have the full amount in cash, I wouldn't buy it. Other stuff always come around.

Never answered what car it was and again, unless it's something super rare you shouldn't jump on it just for kicks.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:42 PM   #11
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:

Then offer the seller to pull the auction and sell it in person, like a regular private party sale. Oh, and for the sake of consistency, I do recommend a Grand Cherokee SRT or a challenger Hellcat. #chryslerroyaltiesyo

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 12-01-2016 at 11:43 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:42 AM   #12
CJin2552

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Then offer the seller to pull the auction and sell it in person, like a regular private party sale. Oh, and for the sake of consistency, I do recommend a Grand Cherokee SRT or a challenger Hellcat. #chryslerroyaltiesyo
GC SRT8 would be badass, but I'm not really looking for something that size. Charger Hellcat would also be awesome.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:46 AM   #13
rover220

My Ride: E61 Diesel
It better be a V12 Benz or an S2000
rover220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:23 AM   #14
fayraree
flock killer

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
Quote:
GC SRT8 would be badass, but I'm not really looking for something that size. Charger Hellcat would also be awesome.
what's with the secrecy?
Old 12-02-2016, 11:33 AM   #15
boostedisbetter

My Ride: NiNe tHoUsAnD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
Lemme see uh pic ah dat Grand National u got mang.
boostedisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:33 AM   #16
boostedisbetter

My Ride: NiNe tHoUsAnD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover220 View Post
It better be a V12 Benz or an S2000
This.
boostedisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:39 AM   #17
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayraree View Post
what's with the secrecy?
Doesn't want anyone stealing out from under him? Like I said, unless this is something super rare, classic, and/or no longer in production...there's no reason to make a thread to get some strangers to validate the fact that he can't afford the car he so very much wants to buy. If it was that big of a deal to him, he would have just done it.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:43 AM   #18
fayraree
flock killer

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Doesn't want anyone stealing out from under him? Like I said, unless this is something super rare, classic, and/or no longer in production...there's no reason to make a thread to get some strangers to validate the fact that he can't afford the car he so very much wants to buy. If it was that big of a deal to him, he would have just done it.
telling the make and model of a car isn't enough for someone to steal it from him. guy should stay the f out of OT if he has that low of an opinion/lack of trust of us.

the only way to make it up to us at this point would be n00dz of his girl (only if she's hot).

Last edited by fayraree; 12-02-2016 at 11:44 AM.
fayraree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:50 AM   #19
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Ain't giving any advice until you tell us what car you're buying.

You don't have enough money until you sell your E46? Isn't an 01 325 worth about as much as a carton of Newports?

Last edited by choxor; 12-02-2016 at 11:53 AM.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:59 AM   #20
SLVR JDM

My Ride: 4Runner
Depends how dead-set you are on getting this car.

Options:
#1: If you know this is a must have car, get a loan to get the car (I'd contact the seller on the side), sell yours, then pay off the loan. Know that selling yours might net you less money in your pocket than you are planning and calculate if it is still worth pursuing.

#2: If you're up for the risk of losing the car, try to sell yours before the auction ends. Since you'll be in a rush to sell, you will likely take less for the car than you really want so that you can secure the new car. That should give you a good indication if you should go with option #1.

#3: Contact the seller about buying it after the auction if no one else makes the purchase. Wait patiently to sell your car until you have enough liquid funds to buy in cash. High probability of not getting the car this way.

When I bought my 4Runner I'd been searching a while, waiting for the right one to pop up that checked all of my boxes. It was ~5 hrs away and I hadn't sold my car yet, so I decided to liquidate some stock that was in a mid-term investment account to essentially give myself a loan so that I got the car, then replenished that investment account when I sold my old car (about 1.5 months later). Worked for me and it didn't hurt my financial position, though I admittedly took about a grand less on my old car than I would have liked.