E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:12 AM   #241
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
cowmoo, reminds me of this I saw yesterday
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #242
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
^Yeah I saw that, amazing.

Soooo, there's a river 13,000 feet below South America...
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-08-...th-amazon.html

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:35 AM   #243
speedcrazy1532

My Ride: is over
Science themed I suppose. I really need to get into reading this thread.

-Phil
speedcrazy1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #244
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
XKCD is an awesome comic! I always check them for new stuff...
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:15 AM   #245
cowmoo32
drunken science

Someone posted that on reddit and unfortunately it's not possible. I died a little inside when I found out

flickher

Old 08-26-2011, 11:18 AM   #246
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Someone posted that on reddit and unfortunately it's not possible. I died a little inside when I found out
Why wouldnt it be possible?
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #247
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenk View Post
Why wouldnt it be possible?
As of yet, we have no way of making a screen right in front of you look like it's far away

Came across this, more math related than science, but it's the golden spiral/fibonacci ratios in Irene

flickher

Old 08-29-2011, 08:46 AM   #248
cowmoo32
drunken science

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly I'm looking at here, but I'm pretty sure these are electron paths. The ones on the left are actual images (top is the highest orbital and bottom lowest) and the ones on the right are the mathematical models

http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceno...ntimately.html

flickher

Old 08-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #249
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
NASA folks talking about abandoning the ISS for now, considering we have no way to get there, and the Russian's keep blowing up Soyuz rockets. Sigh.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #250
cowmoo32
drunken science

Good thing Space-x has an insane number of job openings. I'm hopeful that privatizing the industry will push things forward a little quicker than in recent years.

flickher

Old 08-29-2011, 09:45 AM   #251
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

Would be nice if that was ready...
Old 08-29-2011, 10:20 AM   #252
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Cowmoo.....I read something pertaining to hurricanes and fibonacci ratios a while back. Don't all hurricanes have similarities with the fibonacci sequence based on their rotation and shape?

I was sad to hear about the Soyuz rocket because even though there were no casualties (that I had read about), I was just waiting for NASA to say that they would no longer be flying with the Russians.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #253
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

There are 2 choices, fly with the Russians or don't fly at all. For the next several years. Terrible position to be in for the US.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #254
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Cowmoo.....I read something pertaining to hurricanes and fibonacci ratios a while back. Don't all hurricanes have similarities with the fibonacci sequence based on their rotation and shape?
Hurricanes, galaxies, pineapples, trees, sunflowers, nautilus shells, you name it, if it's a natural process there's a solid chance you'll find evidence of the golden ratio; it's unbelievable. There's a great book with a super-creative title called The Golden Ratio that explains the history and ubiquitous nature of the number, really cool stuff.

slightly ot: click my signature, Tool incorporated fibonacci numbers into their song.

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 08-29-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:31 AM   #255
Dinan e36

My Ride: LEXUS IS350
Send a message via AIM to Dinan e36
awesome solar system 3d model
http://www.solarsystemscope.com/
Old 08-30-2011, 01:33 AM   #256
Dinan e36

timelapse of milky way
******** src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/28040685?color=ffffff" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0">*********>

from Randy Halverson on Vimeo.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:08 AM   #257
Dinan e36

this guy builds a map of his alternate universe
******** src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/6745866?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="400" height="220" frameborder="0">*********>

from Jerry Gretzinger on Vimeo.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:01 PM   #258
cowmoo32
drunken science

Came in to post the timelapse you posted up there but holy sh!t this is awesome. Loved it. The world is missing out if his work isn't put into a museum some day. I can see myself spending hours exploring his work. Maybe I should start an art thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan e36 View Post
this guy builds a map of his alternate universe
******** src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/6745866?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="400" height="220" frameborder="0">*********>

from Jerry Gretzinger on Vimeo.

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 08-30-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:02 AM   #259
iwannagofast

My Ride: 01 330ci
Send a message via AIM to iwannagofast
Supercomputer takes 9 months to create a simulation of Milky Way
http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...axy-re-created

Quote:
How long does it take to simulate the Milky Way? The answer is about nine months, if you're using a powerful supercomputer. That's how long it took for researchers at the University of California at Santa Cruz and the Institute for Theoretical Physics in Zurich to produce the first simulation of galaxy formation that approximates the look of our own Milky Way spiral.

"Previous efforts to form a massive disk galaxy like the Milky Way had failed, because the simulated galaxies ended up with huge central bulges compared to the size of the disk," Javiera Guedes said today in a news release about the project.

Guedes worked on the project during her time at UC-Santa Cruz, and is now a postdoctoral researcher at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology. She's the first author of a paper accepted for publication in the Astrophysical Journal that describes the simulation, known as the Eris galaxy.

For 20 years, astronomers have been trying to come up with a simulated galaxy that comes close to the look of the Milky Way and other spiral galaxies - but fell short of the mark. Guedes and her colleagues were more successful in part because of the computer firepower at their disposal: 1.4 million processor-hours on NASA's Pleiades supercomputer, plus additional supporting simulations at UC-Santa Cruz and the Swiss National Supercomputing Center.

"We took some risk spending a huge amount of supercomputer time to simulate a single galaxy with extra-high resolution," said UC-Santa Cruz astronomer Piero Madau, one of the paper's co-authors.

The effort used a software platform known as Gasoline to trace the motions of more than 60 million particles, representing galactic gas as well as dark matter, over the course of more than 13 billion years.

Madau said developing a realistic simulation of star formation was another key to Eris' success.

"Star formation in real galaxies occurs in a clustered fashion, and to reproduce that out of a cosmological simulation is hard," he said. "This is the first simulation that is able to resolve the high-density clouds of gas where star formation occurs, and the result is a Milky Way type of galaxy with a small bulge and a big disk."

The recipe for the Eris galaxy limited star formation to the high-density regions of the galactic disk, which resulted in a more realistic distribution of stars. Within the high-density regions, supernova explosions powered an outflow of gas from the inner part of the galaxy, keeping the central bulge from getting too big.

The point of the exercise wasn't merely to come up with a pretty animation. The virtual conditions for Eris' creation are consistent with the theory that galaxy-scale structures coalesced from cosmic webs that were dominated by cold dark matter. Gravity drew primordial clumps of dark matter together into bigger clumps, and the "ordinary" matter that makes up stars and galaxies fell into those dark-matter clumps - giving rise to visible galaxies embedded in halos of invisible dark matter.

Cosmologists contend that the universe consists of 4.6 percent ordinary matter, 23.3 percent dark matter and 72.1 percent dark energy. But the fact that astronomers found it difficult to produce galaxies like the Milky Way using that formula led some to question the prevailing cosmological model of the universe. The Eris galaxy simulation "shows that the cold dark matter scenario, where dark matter provides the scaffolding for galaxy formation, is able to generate realistic disk-dominated galaxies," Madau said.

The research team's effort may be a tour de force for supercomputing, but don't confuse the virtual Eris with the real-life Milky Way. Even though Eris is an incredibly high-resolution simulation, its 60 million particles of gas and dark matter pale in comparison with the Milky Way's hundreds of billions of stars.

Swiss researcher Lucio Mayer discusses the galaxy formation simulation with interviewer Michele De Lorenzi.

Extra credit: Eris is named after the Greek goddess of discord, in recognition of the decades of discordant debate that have surrounded the scenarios for forming spiral galaxies, according to a description of the project on the HPC-CH weblog. Guedes' website includes a quote from the Iliad: "The soldiers fought like wolves while Eris, the Lady of Sorrow, watched with pleasure." The simulated galaxy isn't the first astronomy-related object to bear that discordant name: Eris is also the name given to the dwarf planet that caused so much trouble for Pluto.

xbox live: stopthisfall
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #260
cowmoo32
drunken science

Solar eclipse from MIR

flickher