E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #281
mash20
Is not Persian

My Ride: '01 TiAg M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
I'm 90% sure this is the project Mashalah20 has been working on
CRESST team finds new 'evidence' of dark matter
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-09-...ence-dark.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
that would be awesome. That dude seems to know what he's doing.
Quote:
That's because he's almost done with his PhD in astrophysics
I'm actually part of the XENON dark matter experiment (which is in the same lab as CRESST), I've passed by their experiment a million times on the way to ours lol. So, my thoughts on the matter....they have some expected backgrounds which are very large (~40 events or something), much higher than the expected backgrounds from XENON or CDMS (the other big dark matter experiments) which are ~2 events. They have some excess of events that can be attributed to dark matter interactions at either of 2 mass and cross section areas. If you look at the paper cited in the article, it's Fig. 13. The main region they claim has been excluded by XENON and CDMS, basically our results say they're wrong.

The other region is kind of consistent with claims of dark matter detection from CoGeNT and DAMA (two other dark matter experiments that say they saw something). To me, that's the really interesting part. I'm still very skeptical of their results, but more experiments are needed to probe these low mass regions. Another big issue is that the LHC has basically said that dark matter shouldn't exist with masses below ~200 GeV, well above the claims of CRESST, CoGeNT, and DAMA....

(Also, I just got my PhD on Tuesday )

Last edited by my ass; Yesterday at 11:15 PM.
mash20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:23 AM   #282
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashalah20 View Post
I'm actually part of the XENON dark matter experiment (which is in the same lab as CRESST), I've passed by their experiment a million times on the way to ours lol. So, my thoughts on the matter....they have some expected backgrounds which are very large (~40 events or something), much higher than the expected backgrounds from XENON or CDMS (the other big dark matter experiments) which are ~2 events. They have some excess of events that can be attributed to dark matter interactions at either of 2 mass and cross section areas. If you look at the paper cited in the article, it's Fig. 13. The main region they claim has been excluded by XENON and CDMS, basically our results say they're wrong.

The other region is kind of consistent with claims of dark matter detection from CoGeNT and DAMA (two other dark matter experiments that say they saw something). To me, that's the really interesting part. I'm still very skeptical of their results, but more experiments are needed to probe these low mass regions. Another big issue is that the LHC has basically said that dark matter shouldn't exist with masses below ~200 GeV, well above the claims of CRESST, CoGeNT, and DAMA....
I can't wait to be able to fully understand what you/the paper are saying. And just FYI, you're living my dream right now: Living in a foreign country and getting paid to conduct research, pretty much my plan once I get back to school.

Quote:
Congrats man. I can't imagine how good that must feel. Post-doc program in the future?

I have no idea what satellite this is or why they're so close, but this picture is awesome

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 09-09-2011 at 10:24 AM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #283
cowmoo32
drunken science

I came across this last night and listened to a few of their podcasts. I figure anyone following this thread would be interested
http://www.radiolab.org/series/podcasts/

flickher

Old 09-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #284
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenk View Post
pffftt....everyone knows astrology is all BS...I never believed in all that "whats your sign" business anyways...
of course astrology is bs. It's astronomy we're talking about around here.

Quote:

congrats man.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #285
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
of course astrology is bs. It's astronomy we're talking about around here.
------sarcasm--------

-----solly's head------

flickher

Old 09-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #286
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
Quote:
------sarcasm--------

-----solly's head------
+1
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #287
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
I was talking with a guy about my interest in implementing a fly by light control system that would be immune to EMF, well he told me about an up and coming company he was looking to invest in, it's very cool stuff.

http://lasermotive.com/

My motto recently has been why use electrons when you've got photons?
Old 09-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #288
mash20
Is not Persian

My Ride: '01 TiAg M3 Vert
Quote:
I can't wait to be able to fully understand what you/the paper are saying. And just FYI, you're living my dream right now: Living in a foreign country and getting paid to conduct research, pretty much my plan once I get back to school.

Congrats man. I can't imagine how good that must feel. Post-doc program in the future?
Quote:
congrats man.
Thanks guys! I actually haven't been back to Italy in about a year and a half, but I might end up back there again sometime this coming year. I'm doing a Postdoc right now with the same group (at UCLA) but we'll see where I end up afterwards.

Last edited by my ass; Yesterday at 11:15 PM.
mash20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #289
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
I was talking with a guy about my interest in implementing a fly by light control system that would be immune to EMF, well he told me about an up and coming company he was looking to invest in, it's very cool stuff.

http://lasermotive.com/

My motto recently has been why use electrons when you've got photons?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you always need a line of sight in order to flight by light? EM waves dont necessarily need that.

edit: After watching their video, I see they beam power over a laser; I thought you were talking about controlling (sending info) via a laser. I had read about these guys awhile back when they were working on the NASA prize, very cool stuff.

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 09-12-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #290
DylloS

Quote:
------sarcasm--------

-----solly's head------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenk View Post
+1
hahhaa I was like omggg what is this guy talking about lol
Old 09-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #291
cowmoo32
drunken science

Well fvck me. I've been toying with this idea for a year or so now. I first started thinking about it when I read about the tests proving that an electron can exist in multiple places at once and the fact that no electron is unique; turns out I wasn't the first.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-electron_universe

flickher

Old 09-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #292
k2pilot

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you always need a line of sight in order to flight by light? EM waves dont necessarily need that.

edit: After watching their video, I see they beam power over a laser; I thought you were talking about controlling (sending info) via a laser. I had read about these guys awhile back when they were working on the NASA prize, very cool stuff.
Well the wireless stuff is cool, but what I was hinting at was using this sort of tech with fiber optics as a carrier within the craft. It would be completely emf resistant, rather than fly or drive by wire, why not do it by light? That was my initial plan and then to only have electric wiring to act as a current carrier, but if you also used lasers for energy transmission it mitigates the need for that current wire.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #293
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
Old 09-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #294
cowmoo32
drunken science

Have you ever seen the movie Moon?

flickher

Old 09-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #295
DylloS

Quote:
Have you ever seen the movie Moon?
i thought that movie was awesome
Old 09-13-2011, 05:50 PM   #296
cowmoo32
drunken science

That comic reminded me of the premise

flickher

Old 09-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #297
k2pilot

Scott i didn't see that photo of the satellite until now, holy snap that's an awesome photo/angle. that hardly even looks like it's in orbit. I could only imagine the velocity necessary to maintain an orbit at that altitude.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #298
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Well fvck me. I've been toying with this idea for a year or so now. I first started thinking about it when I read about the tests proving that an electron can exist in multiple places at once and the fact that no electron is unique; turns out I wasn't the first.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-electron_universe
That sounds like time travel....

Anyhow, I love the world we live in .

Everything changes so much now, nothing remains constant.
As opposed to 1500 years ago when nothing significant was learned for another 1k years.
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #299
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
I'm actually part of the XENON dark matter experiment (which is in the same lab as CRESST),
congrats !

What was your thesis ?

BTW, considering that this is the field you are in...what do you know about HARRP ? Or is that not a very big deal ...
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #300
cowmoo32
drunken science

HAARP ≠ high energy astrophysics

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 09-13-2011 at 07:16 PM.