E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #341
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
I can remember asking my mom at a very early age why we never saw miracles today like they wrote about in the bible. She never really had an answer, and now that I'm older and have the facilities to really think about the question it just lends more credence to the idea that he was charismatic and insane. "Hey guys! I was born of immaculate conception. The creator is my dad so you should probably listen to what I have to say"

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #342
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
I can remember asking my mom at a very early age why we never saw miracles today like they wrote about in the bible. She never really had an answer, and now that I'm older and have the facilities to really think about the question it just lends more credence to the idea that he was charismatic and insane. "Hey guys! I was born of immaculate conception. The creator is my dad so you should probably listen to what I have to say"

Same reason why there are fewer UFO sightings across more advanced regions.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #343
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
You can't really blame people for being tricked back then. That's why I blame them now lol.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #344
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post

Same reason why there are fewer UFO sightings at cross more advanced regions.
I disagree.
There are plenty of UFO sightings across the US, Japan, Russia and Europe.
But you don't hear about too many coming from Somalia, Zimbabwe or Bangladesh.

However, most of them can be rationally explained.
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #345
Raymond42262

Quote:
If all the stories of religious prophets didn't stem from the same person/event, then there's no doubt in my mind that Jesus was a nut job. How many people are locked up right now because they're claiming to be the second coming of christ?
When I took psychology in college, my professor said that he went to a psychiatric hospital for training and there were several people there that claimed they were Jesus. They put 5 or 6 of them in the same room and they all claimed they were the second coming.....he said they all sat around and tried to out Jesus each other.

I would have liked to have seen that.....

Quote:
Martian sunset. Sh!t.
Was that the sun setting on Mars?
The Sun is a lot larger than I expected it to be.
I wonder what Earth looks like from Mars. I wonder if it is blue.
And I wonder what Mars' moon looks like from Mars ?

Quote:
I knew that we actually sent images into the brain. Simple shapes and layouts and such, but still... Huge potential. One day we'll be connected to the internet through our brains, controlling our inner PCs with heads-up displays embedded in our field of vision.
The heck with images.
I'd like to live for the day when you can download knowledge into your brain.

Imagine going to college and signing up for Calculus, Physics and Philosophy. Then going online and downloading the information to your brain and being able to automatically understand it.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:42 PM   #346
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
I disagree.
There are plenty of UFO sightings across the US, Japan, Russia and Europe.
But you don't hear about too many coming from Somalia, Zimbabwe or Bangladesh.

However, most of them can be rationally explained.
Well, I mean advanced regions locally, as in places with more intelligent folks vs dumbasses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
The heck with images.
I'd like to live for the day when you can download knowledge into your brain.

Imagine going to college and signing up for Calculus, Physics and Philosophy. Then going online and downloading the information to your brain and being able to automatically understand it.
Hmm... Not sure what the scientific basis for that would be. I heard a great conversation, I think it was with Dawkins in which they talked briefly about programming knowledge in our DNA so that you're born with it. It would have to be crude, as there would be no operating system for you to make sense of calculus... But it's theoretically possible.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:07 PM   #347
Raymond42262

Quote:
Hmm... Not sure what the scientific basis for that would be. I heard a great conversation, I think it was with Dawkins in which they talked briefly about programming knowledge in our DNA so that you're born with it. It would have to be crude, as there would be no operating system for you to make sense of calculus... But it's theoretically possible.

I never thought of programming it at birth. That would be awesome. I would not have had to suffer through calculus 2x if they had.

I don't know how they would do it, but if they can 'program ' your genes to have blue eyes, 6 feet tall and male....I guess you could be born with math skills as well.

The brain is essentially nature's first personal computer. It is the finest PC that we have. And it uses electrical impulses. Somewhere, somebody much smarter than myself may be able to figure it out one day and save souls like myself the misery of a slow absorption rate when it comes to math.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #348
cowmoo32
drunken science

Give it 50-75 years and we'll be able to upload our consciousness to a computer. At that point the entire idea of "learning" is antiquated.

flickher

Old 09-22-2011, 02:19 PM   #349
'busa

Right, but without a framework to interpret the information, implanting calculus or physics equations in your DNA would be useless. That's the challenge.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:19 PM   #350
iwannagofast

My Ride: 01 330ci
Send a message via AIM to iwannagofast
CERN clocks faster-than-light neutrinos

OP by NYTimes
Quote:
GENEVA (AP) - Scientists at the world's largest physics lab say they have clocked subatomic particles traveling faster than light. If that's true, it would break - if not severely twist - a fundamental pillar of physics.

Nothing is supposed to go faster than light. But scientists say that neutrinos - one of the strangest well-known particles in physics - smashed past the cosmic speed barrier of 186,282 miles per second (299,792 kilometers).

The European Organization for Nuclear Research, CERN, says the speeds were detected in a neutrino beam fired from Geneva to a lab 454 miles (730 kilometers) away in Italy.

Baffled scientists are asking others to independently verify the measurements or find other more mundane explanations for the measured speed.

xbox live: stopthisfall
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #351
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Quote:
Give it 50-75 years and we'll be able to upload our consciousness to a computer. At that point the entire idea of "learning" is antiquated.
The guy who started a grad school i was working out of is all about that, Though talking with a family friend who worked with this same fellow said he tends to be a bit overly optimistic about technologies capabilities and development timeline, his example was their involvement on a voice recognition system way back when, The guy Ray was apparently certain the system to could learn the quirks of language quickly.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #352
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannagofast View Post
CERN clocks faster-than-light neutrinos

OP by NYTimes
Please be true. Holy SH!T

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 09-22-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #353
'busa

Quote:
Please be true. Holy SH!T
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
The guy who started a grad school i was working out of is all about that, Though talking with a family friend who worked with this same fellow said he tends to be a bit overly optimistic about technologies capabilities and development timeline, his example was their involvement on a voice recognition system way back when, The guy Ray was apparently certain the system to could learn the quirks of language quickly.
I think we are optimistic about the timeline, not necessarily about the capabilities that will eventually be available to us. Look at every prediction made in past times and almost always they've been premature. They predicted we would be able to watch TV on our phones. We can't, really, but we can do one better. We can go online and stream just about anything.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #354
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
Ray Kurzweil. The man is insanely bright and has made accurate predictions in the past, but I think his best achievement is beating cancer, more or less on his own, so that he will survive long enough to see the singularity.

flickher

Old 09-22-2011, 02:29 PM   #355
cowmoo32
drunken science

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15017484

Top comment in r/physics
Quote:
Before getting too excited about this, we really ought to wait til someone repeats the experiemnt a few days ago.
edit: More discussion on physicsforums
http://physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=532620

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 09-22-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #356
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Quote:
Ray Kurzweil. The man is insanely bright and has made accurate predictions in the past, but I think his best achievement is beating cancer, more or less on his own, so that he will survive long enough to see the singularity.
yeah he seems pretty well set on that, hence the name of his university.

Tough to talk/be in a room with him though.

Quote:
[url]
Quote:
Before getting too excited about this, we really ought to wait til someone repeats the experiemnt a few days ago.

Give me a nerd ln(e^5)!

Last edited by k2pilot; 09-22-2011 at 02:39 PM. Reason: to add the lulz.
k2pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #357
cowmoo32
drunken science

More discussion on the findings
http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/c...ern_is_proven/

flickher

Old 09-22-2011, 04:16 PM   #358
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...cientists.html

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #359
iwannagofast

My Ride: 01 330ci
Send a message via AIM to iwannagofast
getgriffinonit

xbox live: stopthisfall
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #360
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
who can ID this pic, without looking at URL?