E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #681
///MTruck

My Ride: 2013 6MT Audi A4
http://news.yahoo.com/physics-atom-s...232412931.html
Old 11-19-2011, 07:50 PM   #682
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #683
Gheybe

My Ride: C6 Z06
what the fucck am i seeing right now
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #684
i_ween

My Ride: '02 330Ci Vert
That is some sort of paper mâché and PVC bomb. Latest terrorist shiiit.

check out my astrophotography:
www.gil-galad.com
i_ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:25 PM   #685
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Well, I think its a home made transformer, and they are welding with the resultant voltage.

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #686
BoogetyBoogety

My Ride: 2010 SL550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
Well, I think its a home made transformer, and they are welding with the resultant voltage.
It obviously works, and I know why it works, but I still wouldn't want to be in the same zipcode as that gadget... I'm sure he's not exactly doing a stack of dimes with that get-up...
BoogetyBoogety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:56 PM   #687
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:15 PM   #688
NJ///M

My Ride: TACO TRUCK/CBR600F4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogetyBoogety View Post
It obviously works, and I know why it works, but I still wouldn't want to be in the same zipcode as that gadget... I'm sure he's not exactly doing a stack of dimes with that get-up...
Is there a video for this? I could see Mythbusters testing this one out in the future

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend; Those with loaded guns and those who dig."
NJ///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #689
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_ween View Post
Don't feel bad. I had the idea for a windshield wiper on the rear windshield when I was 6or7 years old. That was in 1974. Imagine if I had a little piece of every, and I mean every, rear windshield wiper ever made.
The guy that invented the intermittent wiper first pitched the idea to Ford, they said no, Ford invented their own version and the original inventor never got a dime.
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:55 AM   #690
cowmoo32
drunken science

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7AJ0ZX20111120
Quote:
An international team of scientists in Italy studying the same neutrino particles colleagues say appear to have travelled faster than light rejected the startling finding this weekend, saying their tests had shown it must be wrong

flickher

Old 11-21-2011, 08:13 AM   #691
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Cover up!
Old 11-21-2011, 08:35 AM   #692
cowmoo32
drunken science

I'm interested to see what happens over the next couple months. So far we have two experiments confirming the results and an attempt to discredit them both.

flickher

Old 11-21-2011, 08:45 AM   #693
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
I assume someone went back in time and planted enough seeds of doubt for us to not get too suspicious. Nothing to worry about.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:04 PM   #694
etidd01

My Ride: is gone...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
That's an interesting way to look at it. Might be a cool book to read... then again it could be completely boring and filled with long words.
etidd01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #695
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #696
Raymond42262

World's lightest material, lighter than aerogel..........

A team of engineers claims to have created the world's lightest material.

The substance is made out of tiny hollow metallic tubes arranged into a micro-lattice - a criss-crossing diagonal pattern with small open spaces between the tubes.

The researchers say the material is 100 times lighter than Styrofoam and has "extraordinarily high energy absorption" properties.

Potential uses include next-generation batteries and shock absorbers.

"The trick is to fabricate a lattice of interconnected hollow tubes with a wall thickness 1,000 times thinner than a human hair," said lead author Dr Tobias Schaedler.

The resulting material has a density of 0.9 milligrams per cubic centimetre.

By comparison the density of silica aerogels - the world's lightest solid materials - is only as low as 1.0mg per cubic cm.

The metallic micro-lattices have the edge because they consist of 99.99% air and of 0.01% solids.

The engineers say the material's strength derives from the ordered nature of its lattice design.

By contrast, other ultralight substances, including aerogels and metallic foams, have random cellular structures. This means they are less stiff, strong, energy absorptive or conductive than the bulk of the raw materials that they are made out of.

"Modern buildings, exemplified by the Eiffel Tower or the Golden Gate Bridge are incredibly light and weight-efficient by virtue of their architecture," he said.

"We are revolutionising lightweight materials by bringing this concept to the nano and micro scales."

After removing the load the substance recovered 98% of its original height and resumed its original shape.

The first time the stress test was carried out and repeated the material became less stiff and strong, but the team says that further compressions made very little difference.

"Materials actually get stronger as the dimensions are reduced to the nanoscale," said team member Lorenzo Valdevit.

"Combine this with the possibility of tailoring the architecture of the micro-lattice and you have a unique cellular material."

The engineers suggest practical uses for the substance include thermal insulation, battery electrodes and products that need to dampen sound, vibration and shock energy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15788735
Old 11-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #697
Raymond42262

Quote:
I'm interested to see what happens over the next couple months. So far we have two experiments confirming the results and an attempt to discredit them both.
Maybe, not to sound conspiratorial; but maybe they were hired to disprove it to hide the truth behind the science.

I have heard a few times that the most interesting science is done by defense contractors and their findings are never released.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #698
cowmoo32
drunken science

CERN is a multinational research group; they're not hiding sh!t. Hell, one of CERN's researchers is part of a group dedicated to getting the truth from politicians regarding UFOs. Defense contractors don't release their work because of strategic advantage and, more importantly, money.

flickher

Old 11-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #699
Raymond42262

Quote:
Quote:
CERN is a multinational research group; they're not hiding sh!t. Hell, one of CERN's researchers is part of a group dedicated to getting the truth from politicians regarding UFOs. Defense contractors don't release their work because of strategic advantage and, more importantly, money.
Do you think that major contractors for DARPA like Lockheed Martin , Boeing and others; would release something revolutionary if they were researching something else ?
Old 11-22-2011, 09:22 AM   #700
cowmoo32
drunken science

No, but CERN isn't a military contractor.

Science behind meditation. Studies are showing that people who meditate can, by default, turn off the area of their brain responsible for daydreaming.
http://medicalxpress.com/news/2011-1...editation.html

flickher