E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #1021
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
I need to be out of school already so I have more time to devote to interesting topics of science that interest me. Not that school is boring but theres so much more Id like to research and brush up on without always having an academic deadline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
If there is one thing I despise most it's blacks always pulling the race card. It's so annoying and is often misplaced.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #1022
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
You really think you'll have more time once you start working?

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #1023
i_ween

My Ride: '02 330Ci Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash20 View Post
I did some research on planetary nebulae when I was in undergrad. The prevailing theory (from what I remember) is that the star undergoes a supernova and creates the nebula. Then, the remnant of the star (a neutron star probably) ejects jets of particles from the poles of the star as matter accretes onto it. The jets then push on the nebula and creates the lobe structures you see. The rotation of the remnant can cause the jets to sweep out a larger solid angle creating larger lobes.

EDIT: the central star causing this can also be a white dwarf or a binary star, where the compact companion (whate dwarf or neutron star) accretes matter from the larger star
That makes more sense than my guess!

check out my astrophotography:
www.gil-galad.com
i_ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #1024
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
You really think you'll have more time once you start working?
No but I wont have to constantly research, read, and write about one field. Ill be able to explore other areas over time gradually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
If there is one thing I despise most it's blacks always pulling the race card. It's so annoying and is often misplaced.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #1025
mash20
Is not Persian

My Ride: '01 TiAg M3 Vert
Quote:
Ok, so it explodes and creates the nebula, got that. Then the neutron star shoots jets of particles out, I'm good there. And then the jets define where the gases can go? Like a line rotating off-axis to form a cone?
Exactly, the jets sweep out a cone-like region that pushes out the gases.

Also, now that I think about it, the original nebula isn't from a supernova in the case of Planetary Nebulae, but is caused by pulsations of a red giant. The pulsing pushes off layers of the star that create's the nebula.

(I'm editting my original post now...)

Last edited by my ass; Yesterday at 11:15 PM.
mash20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #1026
cowmoo32
drunken science

I would think the resulting shape would be more conical than it is. It almost looks more like a parabola rotated about an axis, save the disk in the middle.

edit: Bonus: Animation of a recent supernova

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 02-27-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #1027
mash20
Is not Persian

My Ride: '01 TiAg M3 Vert
I don't know about the physics of the nebulae on the small scale, but there are a whole bunch of these types of bipolar nebluae: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...=1847&bih=1053

Last edited by my ass; Yesterday at 11:15 PM.
mash20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:04 PM   #1028
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #1029
cowmoo32
drunken science

A lot of people have known for awhile that psilocybin can help treat PTSD and depresssion but this study has shown exactly why that is.
http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-0...es-neural.html
Quote:
Recently, however, scientists in the Neuropsychopharmacology Unit at Imperial College London used complementary blood-oxygen level dependent (BOLD) functional MRI, or fMRI, in conjunction with a technique for imaging the transition from normal waking consciousness to the psychedelic state. The study found decreased blood flow and BOLD in the thalamus, anterior and posterior cingulate cortex, and medial prefrontal cortex. The researchers concluded that the surprising results strongly suggest that the subjective effects of psychedelic drugs are caused by decreased activity and connectivity in the brain's key connector hubs, enabling a state of unconstrained cognition.

Lead researcher Dr. Robin L. Carhart-Harris, working in the Neuropsychopharmacology Unit created by Prof. David J. Nutt, recounts the team's main challenges in establishing an fMRI methodology that would be specific enough to highly correlate neurophysiological activity with the neuronal presence or absence of psilocybin. "There were a number of considerations," Carhart-Harris tells Medical Xpress. "In terms of experimental design, we had to determine the precise dose and delivery protocol that would be appropriate for obtaining clear fMRI results. "For example," he explains, "we had to consider temporal dynamics: If the drug was administered orally, the protracted period of time between ingestion, metabolism, and crossing of the blood-brain barrier would fall outside of the short scanning window needed to capture induced brain activity." They therefore had to rely on intravenous administration.

"Another issue," Carhart-Harris adds, "was methodological - specifically, isolating any placebo effect derived from changes not due to the injection itself, such as anticipatory anxiety." The team also had to measure physiological parameters, including breathing and heart rate, in order to use these signals as weighting factors, correlate with baseline levels and remove them as a possible explanation of any observed brain changes.

To address these challenges, Carhart-Harris points to the pilot work the team performed in order to determine the optimal dose. "The original dose was too low in our mock scanner environment, in which subjects were asked to rate regular subjective or perceptual experiences< he recalls. "However, that simply wouldn't work in a scanning environment, since their very response would interfere with fMRI measurement."

Regarding next steps in their research, Carhart-Harris sees obtaining a grant to study psilocybin as a treatment for depression - scheduled to begin at the end of 2012 - as key. "Psilocybin decreases brain activity in regions such as the medial prefrontal cortex," he explains, "that are overactive in depression." The team may also perform the same investigations with alternative psychedelic compounds, such as MDMA (3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine) - a synthetic, psychoactive drug, commonly known as Ecstasy, that is chemically similar to the stimulant methamphetamine.

Carhart-Harris is also interested in the effects of psilocybin on memory. "When subjects are in the scanner," he illustrates, "and are shown personal memory cues, then asked to close their eyes and remember the emotions at the time of the original event, the recalled emotions are more vivid - indicating elevated brain activation - when under the effects of psilocybin." Moreover, Carhart-Harris notes that when administered psilocybin when undergoing psychotherapy, there is an increased incidence of sudden personal insights. He speculates that this suggests that psilocybin-induced visual changes indicate that the visual pathways are more sensitive to signals from the hippocampus, which is involved in memory, when under psilocybin.

In addition to depression, Carhart-Harris observes, there are other research and applications that might benefit from the team's findings. "Those suffering from cluster headaches," he notes, "report excruciating pain that is difficult to treat, sometimes describing it as worse than the pain childbirth. During such headaches, they show an increase in hypothalamic activity to date has only been ameliorated by deep brain stimulation. However," he concludes, "when administered psilocybin, they display a decrease in hypothalamic activity and a corresponding suspension of cluster headaches."

flickher

Old 02-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #1030
cowmoo32
drunken science

Water ice on mars, lots of it. I have a feeling we'll be discovering fossils within our lifetime

flickher

Old 02-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #1031
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Quote:
Water ice on mars, lots of it. I have a feeling we'll be discovering fossils within our lifetime
[img]http://i.imgur.com/0LJnF.jpgg]
http://www.esa.int/esaMI/Mars_Expres...KA808BE_0.html

Note the date.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #1032
i_ween

My Ride: '02 330Ci Vert
Very cool video on auroras from the space station. Just look at the stars as they film the auroras... Amazing.

check out my astrophotography:
www.gil-galad.com
i_ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #1033
TayloMade[07]

My Ride: '12 Frontier Pro-4x
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
hmm, so why no new news since then? thats 7 years?
TayloMade[07] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #1034
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
I just came across it on Reddit and didn't look into it any farther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_ween View Post
Very cool video on auroras from the space station. Just look at the stars as they film the auroras... Amazing.

Check out the left hand side of the picture, about 1/3 of the way down to the left of the arm @2:03-2:07, something is moving across the sky.

Pretty cool CNT transistor that looks like a sheet of plastic.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-03-...ece-paper.html

I thought this was interesting as well. A team studied the feasibility of the Alcubierre drive to look for any unintended effects and found that in areas in front of and behind the warp bubble, particles build up at very high energies. When the ship decelerates (for lack of a better term), the particles get shot out in the form of gama rays that would obliterate anything in their path. They only studied the plane parallel to the direction of travel, so it could work out that the rays get shot off in every direction.
http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-03-...-downside.html

flickher

Old 03-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #1035
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
There is a portable, water-based fuel cell (for iPhones and what nots).
So why is a fuel cell car taking so long?
Old 03-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #1036
cowmoo32
drunken science

Whaaat? How the fvck does that work? Pour water in and it makes electricity?

flickher

Old 03-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #1037
cowmoo32
drunken science

Came across a pretty decent blog that covers all sorts of physics related stuff in lay terms
http://skepticsplay.blogspot.com/search/label/physics

flickher

Old 03-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #1038
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
A new approach to disentangling the complexities of biological networks, such as the way in which proteins interact in our body's cells has been developed by researchers in China. The team's algorithm could allow biologists and biomedical researchers to unravel new clues about how cells work and what goes awry with such networks in various diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease and cancer.
http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-03-...-networks.html

Last edited by dreamdrivedrift; 03-05-2012 at 11:31 AM.
dreamdrivedrift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #1039
NJ///M

My Ride: TACO TRUCK/CBR600F4

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend; Those with loaded guns and those who dig."
NJ///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #1040
cowmoo32
drunken science

Well, this is terrifying
!

flickher