E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #1161
Rif Raf

My Ride: 2001 330i w/ Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekNoire7 View Post
Ever play Dead Space ?
Nope.........Wife says I am though

Went and Googled....got it

Last edited by Rif Raf; 04-24-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Rif Raf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #1162
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
Intel Increases Transistor Speed by Building Upward
By JOHN MARKOFF
Published: May 4, 2011

HILLSBORO, Ore. - Intel announced on Wednesday that it had again found a way to make computer chips that could process information more quickly and with less power in less space.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/05/science/05chip.html

I thought this was really interesting when i first heard about it. Intel has really been pushing processing power up in leaps and bounds the past several years, ever since the core2 duo.

hello 22nm. and only 1 year later
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #1163
TekNoire7

My Ride: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rif Raf View Post
Nope.........Wife says I am though
that's too funny
Old 04-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #1164
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Nothing to see here, just affecting events in the past, pulling data from particles that don't exist
http://phys.org/news/2012-04-quantum...ky-action.html
Quote:
Physicists of the group of Prof. Anton Zeilinger at the Institute for Quantum Optics and Quantum Information (IQOQI), the University of Vienna, and the Vienna Center for Quantum Science and Technology (VCQ) have, for the first time, demonstrated in an experiment that the decision whether two particles were in an entangled or in a separable quantum state can be made even after these particles have been measured and may no longer exist. Their results will be published this week in the journal Nature Physics.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #1165
cowmoo32
drunken science

flickher

Old 04-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #1166
speedcrazy1532

My Ride: is over
Oh wow CTRL+Scroll mouse backward.

-Phil
speedcrazy1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:55 AM   #1167
cowmoo32
drunken science

http://www.mit.edu/newsoffice/2012/g...lass-0426.html

flickher

Old 04-27-2012, 07:29 AM   #1168
Breyton-BMW

My Ride: Ti
Send a message via AIM to Breyton-BMW Send a message via Yahoo to Breyton-BMW
Interesting.

http://htwins.net/scale2/

Breyton-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #1169
cowmoo32
drunken science

Watch the entire thing, pretty amazing
!

flickher

Old 04-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #1170
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
fun with electromagnetic fields?
Old 04-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #1171
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Watch the entire thing, pretty amazing
!
I want the pencil sharpner he's using.

You could've made it easier on us and posted the English version.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #1172
cowmoo32
drunken science

Made using images from Cassini & Voyager

flickher

Old 04-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #1173
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Physicists from the University of Zurich have discovered a previously unknown particle composed of three quarks in the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) particle accelerator. A new baryon could thus be detected for the first time at the LHC. The baryon known as Xi_b^* confirms fundamental assumptions of physics regarding the binding of quarks.

In particle physics, the baryon family refers to particles that are made up of three quarks. Quarks form a group of six particles that differ in their masses and charges. The two lightest quarks, the so-called "up" and "down" quarks, form the two atomic components, protons and neutrons. All baryons that are composed of the three lightest quarks ("up," "down" and "strange" quarks) are known. Only very few baryons with heavy quarks have been observed to date. They can only be generated artificially in particle accelerators as they are heavy and very unstable.

In the course of proton collisions in the LHC at CERN, physicists Claude Amsler, Vincenzo Chiochia and Ernest Aguiló from the University of Zurich's Physics Institute managed to detect a baryon with one light and two heavy quarks. The particle Xi_b^* comprises one "up," one "strange" and one "bottom" quark (usb), is electrically neutral and has a spin of 3/2 (1.5). Its mass is comparable to that of a lithium atom. The new discovery means that two of the three baryons predicted in the usb composition by theory have now been observed.

The discovery was based on data gathered in the CMS detector, which the University of Zurich was involved in developing. The new particle cannot be detected directly as it is too unstable to be registered by the detector. However, Xi_b^* breaks up in a known cascade of decay products. Ernest Aguiló, a postdoctoral student from Professor Amsler's group, identified traces of the respective decay products in the measurement data and was able to reconstruct the decay cascades starting from Xi_b^* decays.

The calculations are based on data from proton-proton collisions at an energy of seven Tera electron volts (TeV) collected by the CMS detector between April and November 2011. A total of 21 Xi_b^* baryon decays were discovered -- statistically sufficient to rule out a statistical fluctuation.

The discovery of the new particle confirms the theory of how quarks bind and therefore helps to understand the strong interaction, one of the four basic forces of physics which determines the structure of matter.

The University of Zurich is involved in the LHC at CERN with three research groups. Professor Amsler's and Professor Chiochia's groups are working on the CMS experiment; Professor Straumann's group is involved in the LHCb experiment.

CMS detector

The CMS detector is designed to measure the energy and momentum of photons, electrons, muons and other charged particles with a high degree of accuracy. Various measuring instruments are arranged in layers in the 12,500-ton detector, with which traces of the particles resulting from the collisions can be recorded. 179 institutions worldwide were involved in developing CMS. In Switzerland, these are the University of Zurich, ETH Zurich and the Paul Scherrer Institute.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0427095621.htm
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #1174
bimmerfan08

"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
Old 04-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #1175
cowmoo32
drunken science

No sound at work, did he say how powerful the laser driver is? To light the fuse I would think it would have to be >500mW

flickher

Old 04-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #1176
bimmerfan08

Quote:
No sound at work, did he say how powerful the laser driver is? To light the fuse I would think it would have to be >500mW
No he didn't say. Has to pretty strong though as you stated.

Speaking of lasers...

World's Most Powerful X-Ray Laser Super-Heats Aluminum Foil to 3.6 Million Degrees
Creating and observing super-hot solid plasma could lead to a greater understanding of fusion processes

In two separate studies, the world's most powerful X-ray laser has been used to build the first atomic X-ray laser pulse, as well as to superheat and control a clump of 2-million-degree matter. The atomic laser could be used to watch biological molecules at work, while the creation of hot dense matter could be used to understand the processes of nuclear fusion.

Researchers at the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory used the Linac Coherent Light Source, a rapid-fire X-ray laser, to flash-heat a small piece of aluminum foil and create a solid plasma known as hot dense matter. A team led by Sam Vinko, a postdoc at Oxford University, took the temperature of this matter - 2 million degrees Celsius, or 3.6 million degrees Fahrenheit - and the whole process took about a trillionth of a second. The measurements will lead to more accurate models of how hot dense matter forms and behaves. These models could help scientists understand - and maybe someday recreate - the process of nuclear fusion that fuels the sun, according to a news release from SLAC.

Scientists can create plasma from gases using conventional lasers, but you need a super-powerful laser to create a plasma from a solid material. The LCLS' ultra-short wavelengths of light can penetrate a dense solid and look at it, all at the same time. The LCLS is underground in Palo Alto and covers a distance of a little more than a mile. It can create intense bursts of X-ray radiation more than a billion times brighter than any other laser source.

In a separate study, the LCLS was harnessed to build the first-ever atomic-scale X-ray laser, a feat that could open up a whole new field of atomic imaging.

Since the laser was invented more than 50 years ago, scientists have tried to lase at shorter wavelengths, but it's difficult to do because shorter wavelengths require faster atom pumping. But free-electron lasers in the X-ray range can produce superfast pulses of intense energy, so this pumping is now feasible. Scientists from Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory used the LCLS to give a pumped-up kick to a cluster of neon atoms. This knocked some electrons up to higher energy states and created a cascade of X-ray emissions - a mini atomic-sized laser.

The atomic laser's light is much more pure, and its pulses are much shorter, so it could be used to tease out sharp details of atomic-scale interactions and phase changes that would otherwise be impossible to see.

Both papers were published today in Nature

SLAC Chamber This photograph shows the interior of a Linac Coherent Light Source SXR experimental chamber, set up for an investigation to create and measure a form of extreme, 2-million-degree matter known as "hot, dense matter." The central part of the frame contains the holder for the material that will be converted by the powerful LCLS laser into hot, dense matter. To the left is an XUV spectrometer and to the right is a small red laser set up for alignment and positioning. University of Oxford/Sam Vinko

http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...omic-processes

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 04-30-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #1177
cowmoo32
drunken science

I can't remember who was saying that zero-point energy is the new age ether, but I had forgotten that Wilczeck hints at the need for an ether in today's physics.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1336008383.636397.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	449859

flickher

Old 05-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #1178
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
I can't remember who was saying that zero-point energy is the new age ether, but I had forgotten that Wilczeck hints at the need for an ether in today's physics.
Attachment 449859
Old 05-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #1179
TekNoire7

My Ride: 328i
In order to account for what is some "new age ether" required?
Old 05-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #1180
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
That picture isn't as big as I had hoped. I dk if you read it or not, but Wilczeck was doing work at 21 that would win him a Nobel prize. On that page he makes a very strong argument that we live in an exotic superconductor and points out that the standard model is based upon this premise. In order for that to be true, it requires that there be some sort of physical ether.

flickher