E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #1341
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Some of the "decay" of a body occurs based on bacteria and chemical processes that the body contains all the time anyway.

I think the biggie would be the vaporization of the water content being pretty destructive to the tissues. When the water is boiled off, all sorts of wacky stuff would happen to the body.

Might be neat to try though. I can name a few peeps on this site that we could use.
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #1342
atinybug

My Ride: e92 335i
If you could believe the large majority of science fiction, a dead body floating around in space would likely be nearly perfectly preserved and frozen?
atinybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #1343
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
Some of the "decay" of a body occurs based on bacteria and chemical processes that the body contains all the time anyway.

I think the biggie would be the vaporization of the water content being pretty destructive to the tissues. When the water is boiled off, all sorts of wacky stuff would happen to the body.

Might be neat to try though. I can name a few peeps on this site that we could use.
But those bacteria woudn't be active in space because they'd be... dead.
The water wouldn't "boil" in space, unless it's close to the sun. It's pretty frigid out there.
Even if all the water somehow "escapes"... aren't mummies pretty dried up in the desert and they "survive" for thousands of years?
Old 08-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #1344
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
The water wouldn't "boil" in space, unless it's close to the sun. It's pretty frigid out there.
Even if all the water somehow "escapes"... aren't mummies pretty dried up in the desert and they "survive" for thousands of years?
The water will definitely boil. Boiling is the result of a pressure differential, not temperature. Your innards would collapse and you would suffocate. Beyond that, as long as you didn't encounter any crazy radiation I would imagine the body would survive fairly intact.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #1345
Xcelratr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
I'm not sure how quickly the bacteria that are deep within the body tissues will die. The exposure to low temp and pressure would certainly affect them, but maybe not immediately.

Re the boiling, yes it would. See cowmoo's post. Boiling point of water is dependent on pressure. That's why some baking instructions have "high altitude" addendum. Water boils at a lower temp in Denver than it does in LA. So cooking times need to account for the lower temp. In basically 0 pressure, water will boil to vapor, even in ridiculously low temperatures.

Didn't your HS science teacher ever mess with you by putting a glass of water inside a vacuum dome, dropping the pressure until you can see it boiling and then popping it out and dunking a student's hand in it?

So the question is, when the water inside the cells turns from liquid to gas, what happens to the cells? Can the cell walls still contain the water inside? Or will the cell walls rupture? Will the gas permeate the cell wall?

I don't know the answers to such questions. But I imagine that a body that's 50+ish% liquid water that's suddenly tossed into a vacuum where all it's water flashes to gas won't stay very intact.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #1346
cowmoo32
drunken science

I would imagine the cell would rupture, although it is only 1atm of pressure, so maybe not. Even if it doesn't, the cold would freeze you in a heartbeat.

flickher

Old 08-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #1347
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Xcelratr, have you ever disclosed what you do professionally? Just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #1348
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
This seems relevant here...

http://www.damninteresting.com/outer-space-exposure/?4
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #1349
Xcelratr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
I would imagine the cell would rupture, although it is only 1atm of pressure, so maybe not. Even if it doesn't, the cold would freeze you in a heartbeat.
It's interesting, because it would be a race between the low pressure trying to turn the water to gas, and the low temperature trying to turn the water to ice. Since the pressure drop would be instantaneous, while the temp drop would take a little time, I'm just assuming the pressure would win and you'd boil.

Not sure anyone is gonna volunteer for our experiment, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
Xcelratr, have you ever disclosed what you do professionally? Just curious.
Not much that helps here, lol.

I paid attention in Bio/Chem/Phys classes in HS. I have a BS in business. I worked in the automotive aftermarket parts biz for a long time, where I got to utilize and learn physics and some chemistry. Then I worked in banking for 8 years, and probably got stupider as far as science goes.

So take anything I post with a grain of salt. Although I do try not to speak up in situations where I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

Does that help?
Old 08-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #1350
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
It's interesting, because it would be a race between the low pressure trying to turn the water to gas, and the low temperature trying to turn the water to ice. Since the pressure drop would be instantaneous, while the temp drop would take a little time, I'm just assuming the pressure would win and you'd boil.

Not sure anyone is gonna volunteer for our experiment, though.
Ok so after reading some and thinking about it I'm still confused. Space is fvcking cold, ~3o K, or -270o C. On the other hand, there is nothing there to transfer the heat, so I'm not sure what would happen. The air would definitely be sucked out of you and your insides would collapse, but after that I'm not sure.

Quote:
Not much that helps here, lol.

I paid attention in Bio/Chem/Phys classes in HS. I have a BS in business. I worked in the automotive aftermarket parts biz for a long time, where I got to utilize and learn physics and some chemistry. Then I worked in banking for 8 years, and probably got stupider as far as science goes.

So take anything I post with a grain of salt. Although I do try not to speak up in situations where I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

Does that help?
Why did I think you were a mechanical engineer?

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 08-01-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #1351
cowmoo32
drunken science

Why am I not surprised wikipedia has an entire page devoted to it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_exposure

Short version: Boiling blood, hypoxia, eyes, mouth, anything else wet would freeze. Body would stay warm unless exposed to radiation AKA sunlight at which point it would cook.

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 08-01-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #1352
KrasivataSabine

My Ride: 323Ci
Sub'd for science. Aerospace Engineering major here

#BattleBimmer #323RS
KrasivataSabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #1353
Xcelratr

Quote:
Ok so after reading some and thinking about it I'm still confused. Space is fvcking cold, ~3o K, or -270o C. On the other hand, there is nothing there to transfer the heat, so I'm not sure what would happen.

Why did I think you were a mechanical engineer?
LOL, dunno. I am a bit of an armchair engineer. I've picked up some knowledge along the way of motion and energy and materials. Maybe my brilliant insightful answer in some other thread led you to believe I was an ME, lol.

I do have a lot of experience with car-specific physics and materials because of my former career and the amount of racing I was involved in. So when it comes to an automotive-specific subject, I'm not a complete idiot.

But compared to a real professional, I know squat.

EDIT - nice find on the wiki, will read later.

Last edited by Xcelratr; 08-01-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #1354
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrasivataSabine View Post
What year? I start school again in two weeks, planning on aerospace master's after a physics BS.

flickher

Old 08-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #1355
KrasivataSabine

Quote:
What year? I start school again in two weeks, planning on aerospace master's after a physics BS.
I start my freshman year this Autumn, so I don't have a "formal" education in aerospace, yet. But I've been fascinated by machines and engineering solutions since childhood; started studying engines, transmissions, diffs, etc around elemenrary school and educated myself on aerodynamics (esp in F1 and LMS) around the 8th grade. I'm really into dynamics now.

How've the Physics/Eng majors been treating you?

#BattleBimmer #323RS
Old 08-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #1356
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
I start my freshman year this Autumn, so I don't have a "formal" education in aerospace, yet. But I've been fascinated by machines and engineering solutions since childhood; started studying engines, transmissions, diffs, etc around elemenrary school and educated myself on aerodynamics (esp in F1 and LMS) around the 8th grade. I'm really into dynamics now.

How've the Physics/Eng majors been treating you?
Gotcha. I have a BS in civil engineering but hate the field so I'm going back. Honestly? I failed the first physics class I took and had some difficulty in CE, but during my third year I fell in love with physics while taking a fluid dynamics class. Once I learned to see the math in everything I appreciated it and wanted to learn more. I took a few 300 level physics classes for fun and loved them. Both my fluids and standard dynamics classes were a breeze; it's all in what you enjoy. I'm itching to get back now that I know what I want to do.

flickher

Old 08-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #1357
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenk View Post
Did everybody ignore my link earlier?
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #1358
KrasivataSabine

Quote:
Gotcha. I have a BS in civil engineering but hate the field so I'm going back. Honestly? I failed the first physics class I took and had some difficulty in CE, but during my third year I fell in love with physics while taking a fluid dynamics class. Once I learned to see the math in everything I appreciated it and wanted to learn more. I took a few 300 level physics classes for fun and loved them. Both my fluids and standard dynamics classes were a breeze; it's all in what you enjoy. I'm itching to get back now that I know what I want to do.
exactly... which is why we're on this thread haha. Sounds good, thanks for the pep talk

#BattleBimmer #323RS
Old 08-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #1359
Xcelratr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenk View Post
Did everybody ignore my link earlier?
Apologies. Didn't ignore it, just never saw it, maybe cuz I was typing my post.

Great link, thanks much for posting it.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #1360
ShootyzGruve

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Quote:

To the e46F Aeros!!!
ShootyzGruve is offline   Reply With Quote