E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #1361
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrasivataSabine View Post
exactly... which is why we're on this thread haha. Sounds good, thanks for the pep talk
no prob, learn from my mistakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubenk View Post
Did everybody ignore my link earlier?
no but I definitely missed it, not sure how

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #1362
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Ok so after reading some and thinking about it I'm still confused. Space is fvcking cold, ~3o K, or -270o C. On the other hand, there is nothing there to transfer the heat, so I'm not sure what would happen. The air would definitely be sucked out of you and your insides would collapse, but after that I'm not sure.
Note that my proposition was about a corpse thrown into space (for a space burial of sorts) instead of ashes.
Not throwing a life body in space. We know what would happen. Given zero pressure outside, the blood pressure inside would do some major damage.
But a dead body has no blood pressure. Even if cell membranes rupture, the body would still remain in space "forever", preserved like a mummy, no?
No bacteria to decompose. Imagine a piece of meat in a permanent freezer.
Yes?

Last edited by Master Po; 08-01-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:11 AM   #1363
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
Note that my proposition was about a corpse thrown into space (for a space burial of sorts) instead of ashes.
Not throwing a life body in space. We know what would happen. Given zero pressure outside, the blood pressure inside would do some major damage.
But a dead body has no blood pressure. Even if cell membranes rupture, the body would still remain in space "forever", preserved like a mummy, no?
No bacteria to decompose. Imagine a piece of meat in a permanent freezer.
Yes?
According to the two links posted:

Quote:
But severe symptoms such as loss of oxygen in tissue (anoxia) and multiplicative increase of body volume occur within 10 seconds, followed by circulatory failure and flaccid paralysis in about 30 seconds.
Quote:
Joseph Kittinger experienced localised ebullism during a 31 kilometres (19 mi) ascent in a helium-driven gondola. His right-hand glove failed to pressurise and his hand expanded to roughly twice its normal volume accompanied by disabling pain.
Quote:
In the absence of atmospheric pressure water will spontaneously convert into vapor, which would cause the moisture in a victimís mouth and eyes to quickly boil away. The same effect would cause water in the muscles and soft tissues of the body to evaporate, prompting some parts of the body to swell to twice their usual size after a few moments. This bloating may result in some superficial bruising due to broken capillaries, but it would not be sufficient to break the skin.
This growth/swelling is not dependent on the body being alive. Unless the person has been dead long enough for these tissues to start to dry out, they're gonna blow up somewhat.

Now, they may slowly return to normal size and give up their water content without much damage. In which case, the end result may be something like the dessicated bodies we've seen with mummies. The account of the cosmonauts would seem to indicate that. But it's hard to say because by the time the bodies were viewed, they'd been back at normal atmospheric pressure. It could be that the gaseous water will eventually tear the skin in order to get out if the body is left in the vacuum indefinitely.

Remember, too, that one of the reasons cold can be so damaging to tissues is that as water freezes, it grows into crystals. When those crystals grow inside cells, they puncture the cell membrane, tearing it apart from the inside. That's why severe frostbite often results in amputation, every cell in the tissue is irreparably damaged. So IF the body ever got cold enough for the water to freeze despite the low pressure and most of the cells ruptured from the inside, the body might not be very recognizable anymore.

One of the things that DOES happen after death is that certain tissues in the body release gasses as the biological processes stop. If these gasses were released with the body in a vacuum, their expansion might do a lot of damage.

The articles posted are concerned primarily with surviving such exposure, so they don't draw a lot of conclusions about what would happen if the body was left in space for many days or weeks. So I'll admit that I'm extrapolating based on incomplete information.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #1364
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #1365
Master Po

Last edited by Master Po; 08-02-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #1366
325seeeye
Core Fanatic

My Ride: 325Ci, e36 325is
Reminder,

Mars rover will probably reenter on Sunday. Hope all goes well.

http://news.yahoo.com/excitement-bui...185857943.html
Old 08-07-2012, 08:04 AM   #1367
cowmoo32
drunken science

Good idea of the scale of Curiosity vs the old rovers

flickher

Old 08-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #1368
cowmoo32
drunken science

flickher

Old 08-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #1369
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
wtf

The guy is crazy
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #1370
mash20
Is not Persian

My Ride: '01 TiAg M3 Vert
2,000V? meh, I was using 110,000V just last month, gonna go up to 200,000V in a little bit

Last edited by my ass; Yesterday at 11:15 PM.
mash20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #1371
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash20 View Post
2,000V? meh, I was using 110,000V just last month, gonna go up to 200,000V in a little bit
What are you using that kind of power for?

I love fluids, so this is really fvcking cool to me. Turn the captions on

flickher

Old 08-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #1372
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
Quote:

I love fluids, so this is really fvcking cool to me. Turn the captions on
Hmm, that video is pretty interesting, I always attributed stuff going to the outside to centrifugal force, guess I was wrong.
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #1373
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Hmm, that video is pretty interesting, I always attributed stuff going to the outside to centrifugal force, guess I was wrong.
It reminds me of galaxies. They rotate, but the closer you get to the center, the denser they become.

flickher

Old 08-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #1374
Master Po

Quote:
It did go to the outside. Did you miss the pot hanging in the chandelier?
Old 08-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #1375
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
It did go to the outside. Did you miss the pot hanging in the chandelier?
I did see it go to the outside, but did I misunderstand in that it wasnt centrifugal force causing it? I didnt listen to the audio but read the CC...
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #1376
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Quote:
What year? I start school again in two weeks, planning on aerospace master's after a physics BS.
When did this come about?
Old 08-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #1377
mash20
Is not Persian

Quote:
For the dark matter experiment I'm working on, we need to supply a strong electric field in the detector. In the next generation experiment, we need an even stronger field, so we need higher voltages. The problem is getting the voltage in the detector without sparking, and that's what I'm working on solving (currently).

Old 08-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #1378
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
When did this come about?
After extensive reading, I realized that a master's in physics isn't likely to land me in a job I want, and a PhD isn't for me. The private space industry (and tourism specifically) is going to explode over the next 20 years and I want to be a big part of that. I'm thinking commercial space flight like commercial jets were in the 50s, not like the buses with wings we have now. The BS in physics is more for my own curiosity; aerospace is a great fit because I love fluid dynamics and as a job candidate a master's in an applied science looks better than straight physics. Plus, fvcking rockets and planes man, who wouldn't love that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash20 View Post
For the dark matter experiment I'm working on, we need to supply a strong electric field in the detector. In the next generation experiment, we need an even stronger field, so we need higher voltages. The problem is getting the voltage in the detector without sparking, and that's what I'm working on solving (currently).
Very interesting. How much space are you working with? And how did you get 110kV without it sparking?

flickher

Old 08-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #1379
mash20
Is not Persian

Quote:
Very interesting. How much space are you working with? And how did you get 110kV without it sparking?
The HV needs to be applied to a mesh in liquid xenon. There's about 1/2" between the HV and ground, but that's not the big problem. There's a lot of subtleties to supplying very high voltage in liquid xenon that you don't realize immediately. Any sort of bubbling of the xenon can cause a spark and the fact that any particle coming into the xenon (gamma rays, cosmic rays, anything from outside) ionizes the xenon and starts to cause problems with charge buildup and migrating of charges (which also causes sparking). We had to go through several iterations before we got it down, but to briefly describe it, it's a complicated structure that stops stray charges (ions or electrons) from moving and creates an electric field that counteracts the high field near the HV connection.

Oh, and we have a few videos of it sparking, it's pretty intense, maybe I'll upload them and show them here.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:49 AM   #1380
KrasivataSabine

My Ride: 323Ci
Quote:
aerospace is a great fit because I love fluid dynamics and as a job candidate a master's in an applied science looks better than straight physics. Plus, fvcking rockets and planes man, who wouldn't love that?

#BattleBimmer #323RS
KrasivataSabine is offline   Reply With Quote