E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #121
dreamdrivedrift
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ithaca, NY --> Baltimore, MD
Posts: 6,469
My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I'll have to check it out. It's interesting how people can be consumed by a question or concept. I guess if you can throw a computer into a circular loop and bring the system down, why could it not happen to a brain.
It's very easy to be consumed by an idea, a question. One person can only do so much, but the idea of creating/defining the world in a grand unifying set of equations...nuts. Reminds me of TRON, kind of.

Dangerous Knowledge is on Google Videos btw, was supposed to take a nap now but thanks to cowmoo I don't think that's going to happen

I wonder if being crazy/mentally unstable helps to come up with groundbreaking theories and ideas, to have the determination to work on it and see the ideas that normal people don't see or wouldn't bother to care about. Maybe bipolar disorder with manic episodes, or borderling autistic, or both..

Also, Dangerous Knowledge is reminding me of the movie Pi.
__________________
Chris

Last edited by dreamdrivedrift; 08-02-2011 at 09:51 AM.
dreamdrivedrift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #122
'busa
Registered User
 
'busa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 1,465
My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
I haven't had time to look deeper into it, but the movie mentions Alan Turing. I thought he was driven crazy and to suicide by the persecution and hormonal treatment due to his sexual orientation:

In January 1952, Turing met Arnold Murray outside a cinema in Manchester. After a lunch date, Turing invited Murray to spend the weekend with him at his house, an invitation which Murray accepted although he did not show up. The pair met again in Manchester the following Monday, when Murray agreed to accompany Turing to the latter's house. A few weeks later Murray visited Turing's house again, and apparently spent the night there.[49]
After Murray helped an accomplice to break into his house, Turing reported the crime to the police. During the investigation, Turing acknowledged a sexual relationship with Murray. Homosexual acts were illegal in the United Kingdom at that time,[50] and so both were charged with gross indecency under Section 11 of the Criminal Law Amendment Act 1885, the same crime for which Oscar Wilde had been convicted more than fifty years earlier.[51]
Turing was given a choice between imprisonment or probation conditional on his agreement to undergo hormonal treatment designed to reduce libido. He accepted chemical castration via oestrogen hormone injections.[52]
Turing's conviction led to the removal of his security clearance, and barred him from continuing with his cryptographic consultancy for GCHQ. His British passport was not revoked, though he was denied entry to the United States after his conviction.[citation needed] At the time, there was acute public anxiety about spies and homosexual entrapment by Soviet agents,[53] because of the recent exposure of the first two members of the Cambridge Five, Guy Burgess and Donald Maclean, as KGB double agents. Turing was never accused of espionage but, as with all who had worked at Bletchley Park, was prevented from discussing his war work.[54]
__________________
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:20 AM   #123
cowmoo32
drunken science
 
cowmoo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,533
My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdrivedrift View Post
I wonder if being crazy/mentally unstable helps to come up with groundbreaking theories and ideas, to have the determination to work on it and see the ideas that normal people don't see or wouldn't bother to care about. Maybe bipolar disorder with manic episodes, or borderling autistic, or both..
No question, and I feel like it's easy to go a little crazy when you're consumed by something. I've always thought a little bit of crazy is a good thing in an intelligent person, keeps things interesting. Bipolar disorder is in my family and my dad was telling me about a list he found of highly successful people who are bipolar, Richard Branson is the only one that I can think of right now. You have to be just a little bit crazy to take the big risks associated with big rewards, and I'd be willing to bet mania has played a role in more than a couple discoveries/insights.

Just listen to this guy, there's no doubting he's just a little 'off', but he's also clearly a highly intelligent person.
__________________

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 08-02-2011 at 10:24 AM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:58 AM   #124
dreamdrivedrift
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ithaca, NY --> Baltimore, MD
Posts: 6,469
My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I haven't had time to look deeper into it, but the movie mentions Alan Turing. I thought he was driven crazy and to suicide by the persecution and hormonal treatment due to his sexual orientation:
There's a section on Turing, and that he was driven crazy by the combination of the persecution/hormonal treatment and also whether the human mind was a logic machine like a computer, or whether it can transcend logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
No question, and I feel like it's easy to go a little crazy when you're consumed by something. I've always thought a little bit of crazy is a good thing in an intelligent person, keeps things interesting. Bipolar disorder is in my family and my dad was telling me about a list he found of highly successful people who are bipolar, Richard Branson is the only one that I can think of right now. You have to be just a little bit crazy to take the big risks associated with big rewards, and I'd be willing to bet mania has played a role in more than a couple discoveries/insights.

Just listen to this guy, there's no doubting he's just a little 'off', but he's also clearly a highly intelligent person.
I'll check that out in a bit, definitely should get to work Any other documentaries you can recommend? I really enjoyed "Dangerous Knowledge".

Nvm just found your post in the documentaries thread. There goes my day
__________________
Chris

Last edited by dreamdrivedrift; 08-02-2011 at 10:59 AM.
dreamdrivedrift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #125
BimmerFerret
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cardinal Country, KY
Posts: 1,882
My Ride: 08 G37S, 07 Sky RL
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmerFerret
The other night I saw a special on Hawkings and his theories on black holes, as well as alien life. That guy is really a genius. We need to figure out how to keep that guy alive as long as possible.
__________________
2008 Infiniti G37S - Big Brakes, Limited Slip, etc.
2007 Sky Redline
1998 Honda Civic EX Sedan


Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxlo View Post
Class of '03, yet you're still an idiot. Whats your point? Do you really think that you're somehow a god because you joined a site before someone else? ****ing nerd.
BimmerFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #126
cowmoo32
drunken science
 
cowmoo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,533
My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerFerret View Post
The other night I saw a special on Hawkings and his theories on black holes, as well as alien life. That guy is really a genius. We need to figure out how to keep that guy alive as long as possible.
Meh, we'll just back up his consciousness and he'll be good to go
__________________

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #127
TayloMade[07]
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: 53°12'N/105°45'W
Posts: 48
My Ride: '12 Frontier Pro-4x


http://www.youtube.com/user/dutchsin.../1/64THEko2Qfw
__________________
TayloMade[07] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #128
dreamdrivedrift
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ithaca, NY --> Baltimore, MD
Posts: 6,469
My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Just listen to this guy, there's no doubting he's just a little 'off', but he's also clearly a highly intelligent person.
Everything he said is true and he's clearly smart, but it looks like a lot of his antics are precisely planned
__________________
Chris
dreamdrivedrift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #129
dreamdrivedrift
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ithaca, NY --> Baltimore, MD
Posts: 6,469
My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
No question, and I feel like it's easy to go a little crazy when you're consumed by something. I've always thought a little bit of crazy is a good thing in an intelligent person, keeps things interesting. Bipolar disorder is in my family and my dad was telling me about a list he found of highly successful people who are bipolar, Richard Branson is the only one that I can think of right now. You have to be just a little bit crazy to take the big risks associated with big rewards, and I'd be willing to bet mania has played a role in more than a couple discoveries/insights.
I think that if you have an interesting idea, mania actually might help you delve more into it than a normal person would've bothered. There was about a week and a half where I was completely consumed by an idea (biology-related) where I literally couldn't sleep because I kept thinking about it. I felt like I was on speed/adderall, even studying for a quiz I had that week was easier, I just skimmed the lecture notes in about 10-15 minutes and aced the quiz, something I usually wouldn't be able to do. It honestly felt like I could do anything...and if I could have that feeling/drive/energy all the time, I would be so productive. My guess is that's what a productive manic episode is like and can definitely see that helping with discoveries/insights.
__________________
Chris
dreamdrivedrift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #130
cowmoo32
drunken science
 
cowmoo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,533
My Ride: Trek 1.5
Only a matter of time before we're the slaves
__________________

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:04 PM   #131
SPDSKTR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
Posts: 2,156
My Ride: E30 with an S52
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43991230...1#.TjhXkIJx8tM

Old?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer325 View Post
I know I suck as an OT poster, but at least I have Edken to make me look good.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #132
cowmoo32
drunken science
 
cowmoo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,533
My Ride: Trek 1.5
I posted that somewhere, can't remember if it was in this thread or if I made one

edit
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...sibility+cloak
__________________

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #133
cowmoo32
drunken science
 
cowmoo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,533
My Ride: Trek 1.5
The CMB data suggests that we might have collided with other universes at early stage
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14372387


Edit:
Printed this out but haven't had a chance to delve into it yet, but it sounds interesting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract
Quantum mechanics (QM) has attracted a considerable amount of mysticism, in public opinion and even among academic researches, due to some of its conceptually puzzling features, such as the modification of reality by the observer and entanglement.
We argue that many popular "quantum paradoxes" stem from a confusion between mathematical formalism and physics; We demonstrate this by explaining how the paradoxes go away once a different formalism, usually inconvenient to perform calculations, is used. we argue that some modern developments, well-studied in the research literature but generally overlooked by both popular science and teaching-level literature, make quantum mechanics (that is, "canonical" QM, not extensions of it) less conceptually problematic than it looks at first sight.
When all this is looked at together, most "conceptual puzzles" of QM are not much different from the well-known paradoxes from probability theory. Consequently, "explanations of QM" involving physical action of consciouses or an infinity of universes are conceptually unnecessary
Cleek for paper
__________________

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 08-03-2011 at 04:27 PM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:16 AM   #134
cowmoo32
drunken science
 
cowmoo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,533
My Ride: Trek 1.5
Space-X wants to be ready for Mars by 2018
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-08-...mans-mars.html
__________________

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #135
cowmoo32
drunken science
 
cowmoo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,533
My Ride: Trek 1.5
Antiproton ring found around the earth
http://www.newscientist.com/article/...und-earth.html
Quote:
ANTIPROTONS appear to ring the Earth, confined by the planet's magnetic field lines. The antimatter, which may persist for minutes or hours before annihilating with normal matter, could in theory be used to fuel ultra-efficient rockets of the future.

Edit: Holy sh!t, liquid water on Mars
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14408928
__________________

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 08-04-2011 at 09:58 PM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:12 PM   #136
iwannagofast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: 858/305
Posts: 315
My Ride: 01 330ci
Send a message via AIM to iwannagofast
saw the saltwater on mars thing today.... if it was not water that left the marks what else could it be? winds?
__________________

xbox live: stopthisfall
iwannagofast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:50 AM   #137
i_ween
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tar Valon
Posts: 646
My Ride: '02 330Ci Vert
96 star clusters found hidden by dust if Milky Way.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0803083642.htm
__________________
-Derek



check out my astrophotography:
www.gil-galad.com
i_ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #138
'busa
Registered User
 
'busa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 1,465
My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Fox Orders 13-Episode Sequel To Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos' Docu-Series With Seth MacFarlane Producing For 2013 Launch

By NELLIE ANDREEVA | Thursday August 4, 2011 @ 8:57pm



After recently signing on to reboot one classic TV show, Hanna-Barbera's The Flintstones, Seth MacFarlane is taking on another iconic TV series, Carl Sagan's Cosmos: A Personal Voyage. Fox has greenlighted Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey, a 13-part docu-series from Family Guy creator MacFarlane and late Sagan's original collaborators – his widow, writer/producer Ann Druyan and astrophysicist Steven Soter. Envisioned as a successor to the Emmy and Peabody Award-winning original 13-part program, which was hosted by Sagan, the new Cosmos series will be hosted by renowned astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson.
Underscoring MacFarlane's commercial appeal, Cosmos will air on Fox in primetime, something pretty unprecedented these days for a science documentary series on commercial American television. (The original series aired on PBS.) Fox will air Cosmos: A Personal Voyage in 2013, which is also when the network will launch MacFarlane's Flintstones reboot. National Geographic Channel, which will co-produce Cosmos, will air a same-night encore of the episodes following their broadcast on Fox. The project is being done outside of MacFarlane's overall deal with 20th Century fox TV. “Never more than at this moment in the modern era have we needed a profound reminder of the colossally important and exciting role that science, space exploration and the human quest for knowledge must continue to play in our development as a species,” MacFarlane said. “We should be vigorously exploring the solar system by now, and who better to inspire us to get there than Ann Druyan, Steven Soter, Neil deGrasse Tyson and, of course, Carl Sagan.”

A self-professed geek, MacFarlane hit it off with Druyan after the two met at a function some time ago. When she shared with him the idea for a new Cosmos series, MacFarlane immediately sparked to it and set up a meeting with Peter Rice, entertainment chairman of Fox where MacFarlane has 3 series on the air, Family Guy, The Cleveland Show and American Dad. That happened about a year ago, and after lengthy negotiations, Fox just closed all deals for the project to go forward. In September 2010, MacFarlane and Druyan appeared together on HBO's Real Time With Bill Maher where they shared their concern about the growing anti-science sentiment in American society, something Druyan attributed to "the failure of public education," which has "compartmentalized science to 20-40 boring minutes a week, maybe taught by a gym teacher." That is a far cry from the way her late husband approached science. “Carl believed that science belongs to all of us,” Druyan said now in reference to the Fox series. “He wanted to convey the thrill of its cosmic perspective to the widest possible audience. I wish I could tell Carl what Seth’s leadership on this new Cosmos has made possible. Besides, I know how much they would have liked each other.”
According to the producers, the new series will tell "the story of how human beings began to comprehend the laws of nature and find our place in space and time. It will take viewers to other worlds and travel across the universe for a vision of the cosmos on the grandest scale. The most profound scientific concepts will be presented with stunning clarity, uniting skepticism and wonder, and weaving rigorous science with the emotional and spiritual into a transcendent experience."
Carl Sagan’s original series Cosmos, which was first broadcast in 1980, remains the most successful American public television series of all time and has been seen by an estimated 700 million viewers around the world. One of the signature features of the 1980s series were the groundbreaking for its time visual effects, which allowed Sagan to walk through space. The new series is expected to employ the latest special effects, though it is unclear if it will incorporate another signature element of the original, the catchy music by Vangelis. Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey will be produced by Druyan's Cosmos Studios. Ann Druyan, Seth MacFarlane and Cosmos Studios president Mitchell Cannold will executive produce along with Allan Butler of National Geographic Channel.
__________________
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #139
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
Fox Orders 13-Episode Sequel To Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos' Docu-Series With Seth MacFarlane Producing For 2013 Launch

By NELLIE ANDREEVA | Thursday August 4, 2011 @ 8:57pm



After recently signing on to reboot one classic TV show, Hanna-Barbera's The Flintstones, Seth MacFarlane is taking on another iconic TV series, Carl Sagan's Cosmos: A Personal Voyage. Fox has greenlighted Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey, a 13-part docu-series from Family Guy creator MacFarlane and late Sagan's original collaborators – his widow, writer/producer Ann Druyan and astrophysicist Steven Soter. Envisioned as a successor to the Emmy and Peabody Award-winning original 13-part program, which was hosted by Sagan, the new Cosmos series will be hosted by renowned astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson.
Underscoring MacFarlane's commercial appeal, Cosmos will air on Fox in primetime, something pretty unprecedented these days for a science documentary series on commercial American television. (The original series aired on PBS.) Fox will air Cosmos: A Personal Voyage in 2013, which is also when the network will launch MacFarlane's Flintstones reboot. National Geographic Channel, which will co-produce Cosmos, will air a same-night encore of the episodes following their broadcast on Fox. The project is being done outside of MacFarlane's overall deal with 20th Century fox TV. “Never more than at this moment in the modern era have we needed a profound reminder of the colossally important and exciting role that science, space exploration and the human quest for knowledge must continue to play in our development as a species,” MacFarlane said. “We should be vigorously exploring the solar system by now, and who better to inspire us to get there than Ann Druyan, Steven Soter, Neil deGrasse Tyson and, of course, Carl Sagan.”

A self-professed geek, MacFarlane hit it off with Druyan after the two met at a function some time ago. When she shared with him the idea for a new Cosmos series, MacFarlane immediately sparked to it and set up a meeting with Peter Rice, entertainment chairman of Fox where MacFarlane has 3 series on the air, Family Guy, The Cleveland Show and American Dad. That happened about a year ago, and after lengthy negotiations, Fox just closed all deals for the project to go forward. In September 2010, MacFarlane and Druyan appeared together on HBO's Real Time With Bill Maher where they shared their concern about the growing anti-science sentiment in American society, something Druyan attributed to "the failure of public education," which has "compartmentalized science to 20-40 boring minutes a week, maybe taught by a gym teacher." That is a far cry from the way her late husband approached science. “Carl believed that science belongs to all of us,” Druyan said now in reference to the Fox series. “He wanted to convey the thrill of its cosmic perspective to the widest possible audience. I wish I could tell Carl what Seth’s leadership on this new Cosmos has made possible. Besides, I know how much they would have liked each other.”
According to the producers, the new series will tell "the story of how human beings began to comprehend the laws of nature and find our place in space and time. It will take viewers to other worlds and travel across the universe for a vision of the cosmos on the grandest scale. The most profound scientific concepts will be presented with stunning clarity, uniting skepticism and wonder, and weaving rigorous science with the emotional and spiritual into a transcendent experience."
Carl Sagan’s original series Cosmos, which was first broadcast in 1980, remains the most successful American public television series of all time and has been seen by an estimated 700 million viewers around the world. One of the signature features of the 1980s series were the groundbreaking for its time visual effects, which allowed Sagan to walk through space. The new series is expected to employ the latest special effects, though it is unclear if it will incorporate another signature element of the original, the catchy music by Vangelis. Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey will be produced by Druyan's Cosmos Studios. Ann Druyan, Seth MacFarlane and Cosmos Studios president Mitchell Cannold will executive produce along with Allan Butler of National Geographic Channel.

fuucker. I came here to post the good news.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #140
cowmoo32
drunken science
 
cowmoo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,533
My Ride: Trek 1.5
I am extremely pumped about that
__________________

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use