E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #1561
iwannagofast

My Ride: 01 330ci
Send a message via AIM to iwannagofast
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
What exactly did they say was banned? Anyone can generate an ultra low frequency with the right equipment.

This go along the lines of stories dealing with barely audible noises that if exposed to for a long period of time can cause depression, anxiety, and even suicide n shyt.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App

xbox live: stopthisfall
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #1562
Rif Raf

My Ride: 2001 330i w/ Sport
Just for sh!ts and giggles, search Brown Note.

Pardon the pun
Old 12-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #1563
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogetyBoogety View Post
Excellent! Ice/presence of water on Mercury gives us the distinct possibility of future colonization of this planet, which has relatively stable and livable temperatures not far below the surface. That way, when our sun goes nova in a few billion years, we'll have a viable option... no, wait...
Viable early warning system? LOL

- Bestop briefcase

----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #1564
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drex View Post
What if your body is a gift with hidden potential that you just need to unlock? What if you have powers that are beyond the common man's perception that others may try to take from you and replace with artificial components?

Just kidding, you should become a robot
Not sure if you're one of the ones posting in the meditation thread a while back, but I can certainly see that as a possibility.

However, for now i'm stuck with a body that isnt very pleasant to live with, although i'll admit i'm much better off than alot.
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #1565
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
Viable early warning system? LOL
At least the whole colony can run on solar power?
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #1566
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Buy my W126!
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #1567
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
When I saw target identified, I was fully expecting it to land on top of the ladder.
Then I saw the mention of the arm and I was fully expecting it to lift the ladder.
What a let down.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #1568
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Quote:
the Vbat is so pathetic. It boggles my mind how primitive all these DARPA and military funded UAV projects are. None of these companies are even trying, it's like there's a consensus among them to make zero effort.

Perfect competition.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #1569
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Pretty interesting technology website I found.

http://pesn.com/
Old 12-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #1570
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
the Vbat is so pathetic. It boggles my mind how primitive all these DARPA and military funded UAV projects are. None of these companies are even trying, it's like there's a consensus among them to make zero effort.

Perfect competition.
VBAT=...? What have you been working on lately?

flickher

Buy my W126!
Old 12-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #1571
Master Po

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post

Perfect competition.
I didn't know that.
Sounds like they are doing the minimum to meet required progress and continue to milk the government cow for as long as possible.

Last edited by Master Po; 12-08-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #1572
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
Quote:
VBAT=...? What have you been working on lately?
The Vbat is the name of the UAV in that video.

As I'm sure I was ranting about in the past, I was consulting with some military guys on their project while planning on building my own craft, but that's fallen by the wayside to a more practical interest.

I've been working on a consumer/prosumer super stabilized gimbal, at first for high end equipment, but then I shifted gears to the action cam market. Things have been progressing slower than I'd like, but that's how things are the first time round. I'll be sure to make a bigger fuss about it here and spill all the beans when I've actually got something ready for production. I'd like to pick your brain on your thoughts on it some time though. I remember telling Deafboy I thought I'd have it on kickstarter before years end, I can't help but laugh at the idea now .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
I didn't know that.
Sounds like they are doing the minimum to meet required progress and continue to milk the government cow for as long as possible.
That's definitely happening a lot, however from what I've seen it's also the people working on the projects, most of them are software guys, that's where all the breakthroughs and cost savings are after all, so every UAV project is very saturated with those types. But they seemed to have all forgotten how much you can get done with innovative mechanical design. Honestly they just have no creativity. At the same time I feel like a luddite wanting to use mechanical gyros for stabilization instead of a piezo gyro coupled to some motors.

That Vbat is the case and point of what I'm talking about though, their goal was to make a craft capable of hovering and with long range/high speed abilities, so they created the most literal and simple embodiment of that. Compare that to something more along the lines of say the F-35, which is an entirely scalable design, and something these guys without a doubt have the budgets to build, but they don't. It's why I say easy competition.

Anyways I just saw this image NOAA just posted, I could stare at this for hours.

Click for the big view.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #1573
cowmoo32
drunken science

Fast forward to just after 4 minutes, I think is where it starts. He talks about using quantum computing to downsample a picture or movie to 1 pixel for every million and recreate it somewhere else with near perfect fidelity. 17:30 is where he demos it.

flickher

Buy my W126!

Last edited by cowmoo32; 12-13-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #1574
cowmoo32
drunken science

flickher

Buy my W126!
Old 12-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #1575
SamDoe1

Quote:
Fast forward to just after 4 minutes, I think is where it starts. He talks about using quantum computing to downsample a picture or movie to 1 pixel for every million and recreate it somewhere else with near perfect fidelity. 17:30 is where he demos it.
Because I don't have time to watch the whole thing, can you give a cliff on how this is possible and why it's not with conventional computing? Is it just an issue with sheer computing power?
Old 12-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #1576
cowmoo32
drunken science

I don't have even the slightest clue how it works. He even says something to the effect of "Normally when I build something and it works, I know exactly how it works. I'm still trying to figure out exactly why this works the way it does".

flickher

Buy my W126!
Old 12-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #1577
SamDoe1

Quote:
I don't have even the slightest clue how it works. He even says something to the effect of "Normally when I build something and it works, I know exactly how it works. I'm still trying to figure out exactly why this works the way it does".
Awesome. Well it's cool, but if he has no idea of how or why it works then I'm pretty sure that's far over my head too.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #1578
Master Po

Quote:
I'm not familiar with this field (quantum computing), but I'll go out on a limb and call BS on this guy's presentation.
This reminds me of another "game changing" revelation decades ago, when file compression algorithms (such as ZIP, tar, etc) where introduced.
This happened during a window of time when hard disk space was at a premium, when hard disk technology was not able to keep up with the ever increasing software demands on file sizes.
Few of you guy may remember not only the software compression solutions, which still survives today in Windows "compress hard-disk" function (and people were willing to sacrifice hard disk access time to get more space) but also the hardware compression cards with specialized processors just for compressing/decompressing files.
It was also the initial phases of the dotcom era, when people were starting to get inebriated with exuberant optimism and money would flow to any idea you put out there.
Some guy announced that he'd found a way to take a ZIP file, and run it again and again, via the same algorithm, and recursively create arbitrarily small file sizes. He showed some results on slides, much like this guy in the video did, and promised a full prototype shortly.
Well, it's been 25 years... LOL

It just doesn't pass the commons sense and BS meters.
If he had said that a lot of information is repeated and immutable in a video, so he can selectively delete stuff, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.
But he said randomly drop pixels. Randomly pick 1 pixel out of a million. That's BS. Once information is lost, it's lost.
Also, it doesn't inspire confidence when the author says that he doesn't know how he got his results.
If he was a biologist, maybe. Not a computer scientist, in a very exact science field.

Last edited by Master Po; 12-14-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #1579
cowmoo32
drunken science

He's with D-Wave so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

flickher

Buy my W126!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #1580
SamDoe1

Master Po still makes a point though. Randomly deleting information is still randomly deleting information. And if the deletion is truely random, how can you reconstruct it without any knowledge of what was lost? Interpolation of data will only get you so far before it starts to degrade the final result.

Also, what does this have to do with quantum computing? Can't any supercomputer perform the same tasks with the only difference being process time?

It's pretty cool that they have the first commercially viable quantum computer though, I hadn't heard that the tech had even made it this far.