E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #141
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #142
iwannagofast

My Ride: 01 330ci
Send a message via AIM to iwannagofast
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
Fox Orders 13-Episode Sequel To Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos' Docu-Series With Seth MacFarlane Producing For 2013 Launch

By NELLIE ANDREEVA | Thursday August 4, 2011 @ 8:57pm

After recently signing on to reboot one classic TV show, Hanna-Barbera's The Flintstones, Seth MacFarlane is taking on another iconic TV series, Carl Sagan's Cosmos: A Personal Voyage. Fox has greenlighted Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey, a 13-part docu-series from Family Guy creator MacFarlane and late Sagan's original collaborators – his widow, writer/producer Ann Druyan and astrophysicist Steven Soter. Envisioned as a successor to the Emmy and Peabody Award-winning original 13-part program, which was hosted by Sagan, the new Cosmos series will be hosted by renowned astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson.
Underscoring MacFarlane's commercial appeal, Cosmos will air on Fox in primetime, something pretty unprecedented these days for a science documentary series on commercial American television. (The original series aired on PBS.) Fox will air Cosmos: A Personal Voyage in 2013, which is also when the network will launch MacFarlane's Flintstones reboot. National Geographic Channel, which will co-produce Cosmos, will air a same-night encore of the episodes following their broadcast on Fox. The project is being done outside of MacFarlane's overall deal with 20th Century fox TV. “Never more than at this moment in the modern era have we needed a profound reminder of the colossally important and exciting role that science, space exploration and the human quest for knowledge must continue to play in our development as a species,” MacFarlane said. “We should be vigorously exploring the solar system by now, and who better to inspire us to get there than Ann Druyan, Steven Soter, Neil deGrasse Tyson and, of course, Carl Sagan.”

A self-professed geek, MacFarlane hit it off with Druyan after the two met at a function some time ago. When she shared with him the idea for a new Cosmos series, MacFarlane immediately sparked to it and set up a meeting with Peter Rice, entertainment chairman of Fox where MacFarlane has 3 series on the air, Family Guy, The Cleveland Show and American Dad. That happened about a year ago, and after lengthy negotiations, Fox just closed all deals for the project to go forward. In September 2010, MacFarlane and Druyan appeared together on HBO's Real Time With Bill Maher where they shared their concern about the growing anti-science sentiment in American society, something Druyan attributed to "the failure of public education," which has "compartmentalized science to 20-40 boring minutes a week, maybe taught by a gym teacher." That is a far cry from the way her late husband approached science. “Carl believed that science belongs to all of us,” Druyan said now in reference to the Fox series. “He wanted to convey the thrill of its cosmic perspective to the widest possible audience. I wish I could tell Carl what Seth’s leadership on this new Cosmos has made possible. Besides, I know how much they would have liked each other.”
According to the producers, the new series will tell "the story of how human beings began to comprehend the laws of nature and find our place in space and time. It will take viewers to other worlds and travel across the universe for a vision of the cosmos on the grandest scale. The most profound scientific concepts will be presented with stunning clarity, uniting skepticism and wonder, and weaving rigorous science with the emotional and spiritual into a transcendent experience."
Carl Sagan’s original series Cosmos, which was first broadcast in 1980, remains the most successful American public television series of all time and has been seen by an estimated 700 million viewers around the world. One of the signature features of the 1980s series were the groundbreaking for its time visual effects, which allowed Sagan to walk through space. The new series is expected to employ the latest special effects, though it is unclear if it will incorporate another signature element of the original, the catchy music by Vangelis. Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey will be produced by Druyan's Cosmos Studios. Ann Druyan, Seth MacFarlane and Cosmos Studios president Mitchell Cannold will executive produce along with Allan Butler of National Geographic Channel.

quoted again because this is amazing news

xbox live: stopthisfall
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #143
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
I'm interested to see if MacFarlane can/will spin some anti-religion jabs in there given what he's done on Family Guy

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #144
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
mother of god...

http://www.sciencefriday.com/videos/watch/10397
Old 08-05-2011, 03:50 PM   #145
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsima325 View Post
LOL!

YouTube link:

Old 08-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #146
cowmoo32
drunken science

Octopi are smarter than most people give them credit for. I watched a special on them one night and their ability to solve puzzles, reason, remember, and match surroundings is un-fvcking-believable.

flickher

Old 08-05-2011, 04:16 PM   #147
Rif Raf

My Ride: 2001 330i w/ Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Octopi are smarter than most people give them credit for. I watched a special on them one night and their ability to solve puzzles, reason, remember, and match surroundings is un-fvcking-believable.
Crows are also much smarter than we give them credit for. There is a video of a crow bending a wire to use as a hook to retrieve a treat from a container. Essentially it is creating a tool to use.

Maybe I can find it.....will look..

It's very interesting.

They've also been trained to pick up change (money) laying in the street and return it to get a treat.

Found it.

Last edited by Rif Raf; 08-05-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Rif Raf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #148
cowmoo32
drunken science

Yeah crows have the intelligence of a 4 year old IIRC

flickher

Old 08-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #149
cowmoo32
drunken science

Some really cool physics animations
http://www.upscale.utoronto.ca/Gener...arrison/Flash/

flickher

Old 08-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #150
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
did any of you guys catch Curiosity on discovery last night?
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #151
BimmerFerret

My Ride: 08 G37S, 07 Sky RL
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmerFerret
Check this out. I saw it last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxlo View Post
Class of '03, yet you're still an idiot. Whats your point? Do you really think that you're somehow a god because you joined a site before someone else? ****ing nerd.
BimmerFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #152
cowmoo32
drunken science

^I saw that too. I'll be honest, I could probably sit and do that for hours; it would never get old.

Nerdiest bumper sticker ever, also hilarious

flickher

Old 08-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #153
iwannagofast

My Ride: 01 330ci
Send a message via AIM to iwannagofast
NASA Researchers: DNA Building Blocks Can Be Made in Space

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/solarsyst...eteorites.html

xbox live: stopthisfall
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #154
cowmoo32
drunken science

Just read about that on Engadget, fvcking awesome. Now all we need to do is find an actual organism, and maybe intelligent life.

flickher

Old 08-09-2011, 12:09 PM   #155
DylloS

one of the most important things in my life is that we will discover life somewhere in the universe. i'd probably cry with joy. hahah
Old 08-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #156
cowmoo32
drunken science

I know this is out there, but I'm really rooting for either a massive showing of ETs here or a country finally discloses that we have made contact, physical or not. The latter is more realistic, but how cool would it be for a whole herd of aliens to show up one day around the world.

flickher

Old 08-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #157
i_ween

My Ride: '02 330Ci Vert
Quote:
i know this is out there, but i'm really rooting for either a massive showing of ets here or a country finally discloses that we have made contact, physical or not. The latter is more realistic, but how cool would it be for a whole herd of aliens to show up one day around the world.
+1

check out my astrophotography:
www.gil-galad.com
i_ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #158
DylloS

Quote:
I know this is out there, but I'm really rooting for either a massive showing of ETs here or a country finally discloses that we have made contact, physical or not. The latter is more realistic, but how cool would it be for a whole herd of aliens to show up one day around the world.
It would be the coolest thing that could happen if they don't fuuck us up.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #159
Broach><330

My Ride: 330CI -E30 325 (S52)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
It would be the coolest thing that could happen if they don't fuuck us up.
exactly

High-line catback
Kosei K1's
Headers
3.15 Differential
Koni FSD, eibach sports
AA software
205k (9/16/13)

E30 S52B32 100,xxx
5spd ZF, JB LW fly, Megan Coils, OBD1 conv. Mishimoto with low temp stat, TRM 15x8, Black vinyl sport seats, MOMO mod 08, 2:93 LSD, Custom single 2.5" exhaust, SS headers, M3 rack, basically new everything on driveline.
Broach><330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #160
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee
Probably a repost but...
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/525347

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote