E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #1681
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
I still don't fully grasp it but I definitely have a better feel for what I'm seeing now, thanks.

Some folks at Lockheed & USC talking about D-Wave's quantum computers

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 03-09-2013 at 01:20 PM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #1682
iwannagofast

My Ride: 01 330ci
Send a message via AIM to iwannagofast
^fing amazing....

xbox live: stopthisfall

Last edited by iwannagofast; 03-09-2013 at 02:27 PM.
iwannagofast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #1683
cowmoo32
drunken science

I had to share this. Part of my homework today was to model a chaotic pendulum in python and plot the output for a given number of "snapshots" of time. This is a graph of the pendulum angle vs the angular velocity; it's gorgeous.

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 03-12-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #1684
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe

CONTROL YOUR OWN COCKROACH!
Old 03-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #1685
cowmoo32
drunken science

flickher

Old 04-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #1686
cowmoo32
drunken science

flickher

Old 04-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #1687
cowmoo32
drunken science

I want to build an ionocraft now
http://phys.org/news/2013-04-thruste...ternative.html
Quote:
When a current passes between two electrodes-one thinner than the other-it creates a wind in the air between. If enough voltage is applied, the resulting wind can produce a thrust without the help of motors or fuel.

This phenomenon, called electrohydrodynamic thrust-or, more colloquially, "ionic wind"-was first identified in the 1960s. Since then, ionic wind has largely been limited to science-fair projects and basement experiments; hobbyists have posted hundreds of how-to videos on building "ionocrafts"-lightweight vehicles made of balsa wood, aluminum foil and wire-that lift off and hover with increased voltage. Despite this wealth of hobbyist information, there have been few rigorous studies of ionic wind as a viable propulsion system. Some researchers have theorized that ionic thrusters, if used as jet propulsion, would be extremely inefficient, requiring massive amounts of electricity to produce enough thrust to propel a vehicle. Now researchers at MIT have run their own experiments and found that ionic thrusters may be a far more efficient source of propulsion than conventional jet engines. In their experiments, they found that ionic wind produces 110 newtons of thrust per kilowatt, compared with a jet engine's 2 newtons per kilowatt. The team has published its results in the Proceedings of the Royal Society. Steven Barrett, an assistant professor of aeronautics and astronautics at MIT, envisions that ionic wind may be used as a propulsion system for small, lightweight aircraft. In addition to their relatively high efficiency, ionic thrusters are silent, and invisible in infrared, as they give off no heat-ideal traits, he says, for a surveillance vehicle. "You could imagine all sorts of military or security benefits to having a silent propulsion system with no infrared signature," says Barrett, who co-authored the paper with graduate student Kento Masuyama.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2013-04-thruste...ative.html#jCp

flickher

Old 04-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #1688
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
You want to float on a bubble of ions?
This is more fun.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #1689
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Awesome and unique materials:
Gallium, the Metal That Melts at room temp.

The effects of Gallium on Aluminum

Spoon made of Gallium

If poured into a glass, sulfur hexafluoride sinks through normal air and pools invisibly at the bottom of the container. Just like water, it can support the weight of less dense objects on top of it. If inhaled, it does the opposite of helium and makes your voice much deeper.

Hydrophobic coatings. Put a droplet out on the treated part, and it will actively flee to the untreated area.

Hydrophobic sand.

Hot ice, scientifically known as sodium acetate, is a liquid that will turn solid at the slightest provocation. Touching it with your finger, bumping it too hard, or speaking a few angry words will cause it to spring from a clear, water-like state into solid ice-like crystals.

Nitinol, an alloy of nickel and titanium has the impressive ability to "remember" its original shape after you've gone and bent the crap out of it. All it takes is a little heat. I use this stuff all the time at work, it's pretty awesome. They even make a super elastic version of it that has a 200%+ elongation with shape memory all while still having the other properties of metals.

SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #1690
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
^I love chemistry!

Not even mentioning the efficiencies of larger countries.

As divided as this country is, at least we are one.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #1691
cowmoo32
drunken science

Chemistry is sooo fvcking cool, but it hates me. My brain just doesn't want to understand.

flickher

Old 04-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #1692
cowmoo32
drunken science

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 04-16-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #1693
SamDoe1

Just a quick update on the Large Hardon Collider.

http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdest...eworldyet.com/
Old 04-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #1694
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Solar technology keeps getting better.....

A special coating could dramatically improve the percentage of energy that can be harvested from solar cells by splitting photons in two, new research suggests.

For every photon (or particle of light) that hits a solar cell, the coating - called pentacene - doubles the number of electrons, and energy, that can be harvested, at least with high-energy blue or green wavelengths of light.

The findings were reported today (April 18) in the journal Science.

"We think it's an exciting direction for solar to improve its efficiency," said study co-author Marc Baldo, an electrical engineer at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Low efficiency

One of the barriers to the wider adoption of solar energy is its high cost. One of the best ways to make the technology more affordable is to increase how efficiently the solar cells harvest energy from the sun, Baldo said.

Light creates electricity in silicon solar cells when each photon dislodges a single electron in the silicon, leaving behind a "hole" - an effective positive charge - where it once was. An electric field across the silicon drives the electrons away from the holes into a conducting metal material, where they then flow as current.

But silicon solar cells only absorb photons from some parts of the visible light spectrum. Sunlight at shorter blue and green wavelengths converts into heat, effectively wasting that light, Baldo told LiveScience.

Double the power
Baldo and his colleagues wanted to see if they could use the wasted blue and green light. Since the 1960s, scientists had noticed that under a magnetic field, photons hitting a material called pentacene underwent a process called singlet fission, in which two electrons were produced for every photon - two instead of one.

To see whether that process could be harnessed in solar cells, the researchers first measured the electrons that were produced for each photon of light. They confirmed that pentacene seemed to be producing two electrons for every photon of light.

Next, they wanted to see whether pentacene coated on top of a silicon solar cell could harness more energy. They found that a test solar cell worked in just that way, increasing the amount of energy harvested from the blue and green spectrum.

But the pentacene coating only works on blue and green wavelengths of light, not the entire visible spectrum, so the efficiency would only go up about 6 percent, Baldo said. "It doesn't do anything to red light or the infrared light, since we don't have enough energy to cut those photons in two," Baldo told LiveScience.

Boost in efficiency
The study is the first to show that the physical process that occurs in pentacene can actually be used to make energy, said Christopher Bardeen, a physical chemist at the University of California Riverside who was not involved in the study.

"It's a first step towards developing solar cells that could actually be significantly more efficient than today," Bardeen told LiveScience.
Follow Tia Ghose on Twitter @tiaghose. Follow LiveScience @livescience, Facebook & Google+. Original article on LiveScience.com.

3D-Textured Solar Cells Will Be Tested in Space
SPACE.com
An experimental 3D-textured solar cell is set to be bolted to the outside of the International Space ...
Solar Leasing Embraces ACPV: SolarBridge Technologies Partners with Sunnova, ET to Offer TrueAC Solar Leases
PRWeb
Solar leasing provider Sunnova partners with SolarBridge Technologies and ET Solar to offer residential ...
e Run to Help Herculaneum High School Improve Energy Efficiency
PRWeb
Learning opportunities created for students through collaboration with Microgrid Energy and Missouri ...
Study: Solar Panels May Now Be a Net Energy Producer

http://news.yahoo.com/solar-cell-cou...191105885.html
Old 04-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #1695
Raymond42262

More solar news...........a few years ago the efficiency of solar energy conversion was only about 5 percent, now it is up to 21 percent.

---------------------------
The EROEI for photovoltaics is estimated to be less than that of legacy oil and gas fields, but higher than the oil sands and ethanol. SUNPOWER (NASDAQ: SPWR) recently released its third-generation Maxeon solar cells in the X-Series panels with a confirmed 21.5% efficiency. These panels are some of the most efficient commercially available panels on the market. They are backed by a 25-year warranty that is one of the strongest in the industry.

http://beta.fool.com/mrcanadian1/201...gyholnk0000001

Our top-of-the-line solar panels give homeowners more energy. They deliver the highest efficiency available in a residential solar panel today, at a record-breaking 21.5%.1 That means homeowners get more electricity, more flexibility, more peace of mind, and lower electricity bills.

http://us.sunpowercorp.com/
Old 04-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #1696
cowmoo32
drunken science

This is 13 light years tall
http://www.spacetelescope.org/static.../heic1307a.jpg

flickher

Old 04-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #1697
Raymond42262

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
It is hard for me to wrap my mind around something that large.

Especially when you consider every speck of 'dust' in that cloud is a star or a planet.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #1698
SamDoe1

^ Amazing isn't it? Really goes to show how insignificant we really are in the universe. I think it would be awesome to see what the sky looks like from a planet in a nebula, I'm sure it looks incredible.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 04-19-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #1699
Raymond42262

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
^ Amazing isn't it? Really goes to show how insignificant we really are in the universe. I think it would be awesome to see what the sky looks like from a planet in a nebula, I'm sure it looks incredible.
I want to see pics of Earth from Mars or Venus. And I want to see pics of Mars' moons as if someone was standing on Mars.

Or pics of Jupiter from Mars and what it would look like to have a visual of being on Jupiter with all those moons in the sky at one time.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #1700
tinkwithanr

My Ride: '00 323i + '75 2002
That's amazing. Simply freaking awesome.

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all
Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep
Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history
Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now
tinkwithanr is offline   Reply With Quote