E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #21
3bananas

My Ride: 1998 328is
get an lsd

Old 07-07-2011, 04:13 PM   #22
AW330

My Ride: 03 AW 330I AA Stg 2.
Just spoke with viral on the phone. Nice guy to say the least, and guess what....Im going to go with Actives stage 2 kit.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #23
MaverickM3

My Ride: gets badge
Congrats OP!!!
Old 07-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #24
T.B.W.

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Thats great!
T.B.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #25
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Talk to Rennie at Redline BMW in Pompano. They did my subframe reinforcement. I bought BOTH kits, the TMS and the HPF. Redline used the HPF kit saying it was far superior.

Pin him down for a FIRM price. I had them do a LOT of extra work since i was getting a HPF stage 2.5 with Drag Radials and would be doing some hard launches. For you, just stick with the standard weld in upgrade. They are WELL experienced with this and know exactly what to do. But pin a price down. They can get pricey sometimes. Threaten to walk if you think its too high. Prices all over South Florida for this job seem to be much higher than some other parts of the country. I have heard some ridiculously low prices. Expect to pay at least 1k here. Any less and you may not be getting a good job. With Redline, those guys do a GREAT job. I had the whole thing documented with photos they took.

AA can also do the job. I did not like their price. But talk to BOTH places and do whats best for you or what ever deal you can wrangle.

Do NOT get ANYTHING but AKG BLACK bushings for the subframe. I am sorry. I installed PF yellows and one tore. They dont fit properly. Do not use PF under any circumstances, even if they are fit with washers, modified, etc. Use the AKG period. Stock might tear. Solids are totally unnecessary. The AKG blacks will stand up to any upgrades you may do in the future to your HP. This is what one of the TOP shops on the East Coast uses who also are approved HPF installers. Please listen to me on this.

While you have everything apart, this is an excellent time to add some sort of rear camber adjusters which dont cost much but will cost a fortune to install. Everything is already apart, so, get them.

This is a GREAT time to replace ALL the bushings and ball joints in the rear end when the sub frame is out. I did exactly that. It was not a huge cost and is just a good idea. You can always have them inspected and make a judgment call. I had 30k miles on mine and just decided to replace every single ball joint. I think there are 4 in the rear. Take advantage of things when they are ALREADY apart for other reasons. Big saver in the long run.

I sprang for an OS Gikken diff BTW. This is NOT a must. its not cheap but its supposed to be the bees knees. You can always do this later. The other things I have mentioned are far more important....preventing things from breaking.

I dont know how your diff is mounted but that can be a critical area to reinforce.

Yes to the UUC BLACK tranny mounts with what they call "limiting cups". They restrict the total movement. Dont use solids on your tranny.

RTABS. You will likely tear any stock RTABS. I did. I used PF yellows. I think they should be fine for 375-400HP. Make sure they are totally smeared with copper never seize.

I did the thermostat and the performance fan clutch(AA). make sure you have your concentration of your coolant TESTED. There is a way to do this. Too MUCH coolant can cause overheating. At least that is what AA swore was my overheating problem which disappeared when they went 50:50 with the concentration.

AA said they suspended development of their oil cooler. See if the HPF oil cooler will fit your car. Keeping your oil from getting too hot is ALWAYS a good thing. In FL my oil would get really too hot a lot of times. I sprang for a HPF oil cooler with my new stage 2.5 HPF turbo.

Never ever have the car leave with out an Air Fuel ratio AFR gauge. LOOK at it frequently. I wont get in to details, but this my worst motor sports mistake of my life. You should NOT have any problems but it can save you many many thousands of dollars in case something goes drastically wrong. Especially if you ever add NOS. Just get one. FAR more important than a boost gauge.

Enjoy your new power increase!

Last edited by Bdave; 07-08-2011 at 03:21 AM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:46 PM   #26
Viral@ActiveAutowerke
Sponsor

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW330 View Post
Just spoke with viral on the phone. Nice guy to say the least, and guess what....Im going to go with Actives stage 2 kit.
It was Great Speaking with you as well, Thank you for the Kind Words Congrats on going with the Stage 2 System

Start preparing for Traction Light to blink a bit more often once you have it installed
Phone: 305.233.9300 Ext. 232 | Fax: 305-253-8921

Last edited by Viral@ActiveAutowerke; 07-08-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Viral@ActiveAutowerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:00 AM   #27
kidplatinum

My Ride: 330I zhp
I was in the same situation but I decided to go turbo. After I did all the homework and spoke with both parties face to face...no question TT was the way to go. Only problem I have is I do not get to drive it enough!

The kit has been solid with no issues at all. Performance numbers were exactly what I was advised...maybe a tad more. Location of TT vs AA...TT worked better for me as they are right in town. For me that worked better because I could monitor work being performed and see everything going on.

More options for upgrading seemed to exist too. TT (Nick) has also sorts of knowledge and connections that are heavy into modification for speed. Not fly by night people...but people that have been in the game decades upon decades. People that do it right!! I cannot stress how important that is. I plan on doing more stuff on top of the stage two ZHP kit and his connections will be a big help.

So for me it was a total package type deal. I wanted to go with someone that provides the best quality kit, the best service during and after the sale, and provides improvements and future paths of upgrades that are not "publically" offered on their we site. For me that was TT and that is where I put my money.

This thread seems to be filled with TT owners, where are the AA owners?
Old 07-08-2011, 04:09 AM   #28
zx5rider

My Ride: 03 M3 , 03 TT 330,
Send a message via AIM to zx5rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidplatinum View Post
I was in the same situation but I decided to go turbo. After I did all the homework and spoke with both parties face to face...no question TT was the way to go. Only problem I have is I do not get to drive it enough!

The kit has been solid with no issues at all. Performance numbers were exactly what I was advised...maybe a tad more. Location of TT vs AA...TT worked better for me as they are right in town. For me that worked better because I could monitor work being performed and see everything going on.

More options for upgrading seemed to exist too. TT (Nick) has also sorts of knowledge and connections that are heavy into modification for speed. Not fly by night people...but people that have been in the game decades upon decades. People that do it right!! I cannot stress how important that is. I plan on doing more stuff on top of the stage two ZHP kit and his connections will be a big help.

So for me it was a total package type deal. I wanted to go with someone that provides the best quality kit, the best service during and after the sale, and provides improvements and future paths of upgrades that are not "publically" offered on their we site. For me that was TT and that is where I put my money.
I agree 100% because my stage 2 build is not what they sell and I get as much support as I need.

Quote:
This thread seems to be filled with TT owners, where are the AA owners?
I find it funny that you say that and he decided to go with the AA kit.

'03 330 Technique Tuning Stage 2 Turbo. (Parting out)
'03 M3
'11 BMW s1000rr
zx5rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:48 AM   #29
kidplatinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx5rider View Post
I agree 100% because my stage 2 build is not what they sell and I get as much support as I need..
Is your 330 a ZHP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx5rider View Post
I find it funny that you say that and he decided to go with the AA kit.
Yeah, I think he may have different thoughts down the road. I have seen that car I believe too. I actually was right behind him I think and he took off. My TT intercooler scared him!

I am still waiting to get mine back from paint...then it goes to TT for stage two plus. Thinking about getting the head done, Nick has a connection that is really solid. I also want the flapper mod too...I spoke with Nick and on a test car that mod was an extra 20-30 whp I remember correctly. Since I am supposed to be the first ZHP we want to get baseline numbers on just the kit. Then we will do whatever I want. Nick is all about OEM feel and reliability but if you want wild he has a bags of tricks for that too (safely though...if its going to kill you or the car...he is not going to do that). Thats what I like about his style...he is all about lets be realistic about it...not "hey I have the most power"

Plus I think he found a cool little trick for using LED bulbs with no resistor. Done in the software of the car...I had been bugging him about it and he hooked it up, I will test soon. I do not want to go into details because he likes to keep a low profile. To me just the little perks like that are worth it...cuz he does one off request. I like my remote windows feature too...thanks Nick!!

Last edited by kidplatinum; 07-08-2011 at 05:54 AM.
kidplatinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:13 AM   #30
McSpeed

My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
Working with NickG rules. Talking to the hands-on designer of the kit is a huge plus supportwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
While you have everything apart, this is an excellent time to add some sort of rear camber adjusters which dont cost much but will cost a fortune to install. Everything is already apart, so, get them.

This is a GREAT time to replace ALL the bushings and ball joints in the rear end when the sub frame is out. I did exactly that. It was not a huge cost and is just a good idea. You can always have them inspected and make a judgment call. I had 30k miles on mine and just decided to replace every single ball joint. I think there are 4 in the rear. Take advantage of things when they are ALREADY apart for other reasons. Big saver in the long run.
+1 to all that

SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque

Last edited by McSpeed; 07-08-2011 at 06:16 AM.
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:27 AM   #31
MaverickM3

Yep, Plus 10 on all that the other TT kit owners said. Nick is solid to work with.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #32
AW330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral@ActiveAutowerke View Post
It was Great Speaking with you as well, Thank you for the Kind Words Congrats on going with the Stage 2 System

Start preparing for Traction Light to blink a bit more often once you have it installed
Haha what traction light? I'll be turning that bish off! I might as well get the dsc off sticker as well!!! Haha. Looking forward to getting that email today to start the process!

As for everyone else, yes when I have the subframe Down I will replace everything that I feel needs to be replaced. They always say when you do something to do it right the first time!! Especially since messing with f/I is no joke!

As for TT, I have nothing against them and I know nick is a guru at best and the turbo kit they provide is one of the best out. But honestly I dont need any more than 400hp for a daily so upgrading further is prob something I will not do. Also the plus about AA is that is complete bolt on and if I ever want to I can return to stock very easily with no problems, and with a turbo its a little more difficult. Also, aa is offering something that I just simply cannot refuse. As said, I have nothing against TT And I'm sure they are an amazing company, but currently AA is offering more of my needs/wants at the moment.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #33
malina

My Ride: stock ZHP
I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with your upcoming FI mod. Congratz! Let AA do the installation.
malina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #34
AW330

Got a pretty huge smile on my face right about now. Thanks viral and active auto for helping me make my decision.

Just put in the order for my stage 2 blower
Old 07-08-2011, 06:01 PM   #35
kidplatinum

Quote:
As for TT, I have nothing against them and I know nick is a guru at best and the turbo kit they provide is one of the best out. But honestly I dont need any more than 400hp for a daily so upgrading further is prob something I will not do. Also the plus about AA is that is complete bolt on and if I ever want to I can return to stock very easily with no problems, and with a turbo its a little more difficult. Also, aa is offering something that I just simply cannot refuse. As said, I have nothing against TT And I'm sure they are an amazing company, but currently AA is offering more of my needs/wants at the moment.
TT stage one kit is under 400whp and stage two is probably right in that ball park. On the TT kit as far as I know everthing can be reversed...I think the only thing that has to be altered/cut is the exhaust. Which can be easily reversed...not to exact OEM though. I think your mistaken about supercharge vs turbo difficultly...remember is all about quality of kit. Look around how many OEM supercharge cars do you see, how many OEM turbo cars do you see. By far the car manufactures use turbo setups...if they were more difficult they would avoid them. More efficient is probably the main reason they use them...come on AW330...you care about our trees right?...LOL!

Part of me wants you to go AA so I can beat up on ya. But the other part of me just wants you to get the absolute BEST QUALITY kit/experience. In a world of good, better, and best...roll with the best. My thought is do not try to mimic the yard stick...BE the yard stick. To me the yard stick is TT for 3er non Ms (maybe even Ms soon, oneday, hopefully, maybe ). With my TT kit I truely do have the ultimate driving machine!!

AW330 I think you will be happy either way in the beginning because of the extra power. I do feel that may subside after time but who knows. Please do all the premaintenance checks before you go FI, I know TT checks all that for you and when I say all I mean ALL. Compression, Blow by, blah blah blah...all of it. I got brakes checked too...lol! That was crazy...LOL! I come back and Nick was like "you need a brake flush"...LOL! I was like "mind your damn business NICK!"...no not really. I was pleasantly suprised though. He mentioned a lot of things I should look at. Mind you my car barely has 30K original miles now. To me when he did the check and charged me nothing I knew he was the real deal. He not only cared about the health of the engine but the car as a while. FI will change lots of other aspects of the cars performance and he wanted to make damn sure I knew what I was getting into. I feel that its my job to share that with you because I do not want to see you back here with a sad story (not against AA...I am just speaking in general).

Also, AW330 your post about AA meeting your needs better, all I heard was...they are giving me a better price. That is the impression I got...I mean no disrespect but you are part of the E46 family so I feel I would be an a**hole not to be honest with you. My advise in dealing with AA or any company is know what your getting and GET IT IN WRITING!!

SOOOO, best of luck on going FI and I cannot wait to catch you in Coral Springs...LOL. Welcome to the FI family...and I promise when my TT is raping your AA I will stroke your head lovingly...LOL! THAT IS A JOKE SO NO ONE GET UPSET...im just being silly. Again, best of luck with who ever you go with, appears to be AA, and please post back as I am sure we all would like to know about your experience.

MaverickM3,

Do not think I forgot about the beat down you got coming!! You might need your M3 to save you...and that may not even help! We both know I am the better driver...right after I figure out where first gear is at! LOL!!

Last edited by kidplatinum; 07-08-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #36
AW330

Quote:

Part of me wants you to go AA so I can beat up on ya. But the other part of me just wants you to get the absolute BEST QUALITY kit/experience. In a world of good, better, and best...roll with the best. My thought is do not try to mimic the yard stick...BE the yard stick. To me the yard stick is TT for 3er non Ms (maybe even Ms soon, oneday, hopefully, maybe ). With my TT kit I truely do have the ultimate driving machine!!

AW330 I think you will be happy either way in the beginning because of the extra power. I do feel that may subside after time but who knows. Please do all the premaintenance checks before you go FI,

Also, AW330 your post about AA meeting your needs better, all I heard was...they are giving me a better price. That is the impression I got...I mean no disrespect but you are part of the E46 family so I feel I would be an a**hole not to be honest with you. My advise in dealing with AA or any company is know what your getting and GET IT IN WRITING!!

SOOOO, best of luck on going FI and I cannot wait to catch you in Coral Springs...LOL. Welcome to the FI family...and I promise when my TT is raping your AA I will stroke your head lovingly...LOL! THAT IS A JOKE SO NO ONE GET UPSET...im just being silly. Again, best of luck with who ever you go with, appears to be AA, and please post back as I am sure we all would like to know about your experience.
I understand that you are looking out for me and I really appreciate. Like I said I have nothing against TT at all. I have just always wanted a supercharged car, for some reason. I have also yet to see any bad reviews for the 330 stage 2 aa kit or TT kit.

As for "getting bored or used to the power" not ur exact words but assuming that's what you meant, I'm not going for a 600-700 hp freak. I think the 350 rwhp will suit my needs just fine. Also I never mentioned anything about cost because thats not the deciding factor as both kits are roughly the same price. Something has just been telling me to go AA. So I'll take you up on that offer, TT vs AA. So when my AA kit leaves you breathless I'll have a spare oxygen bottle for ya (I'm a paramedic btw lol).
Old 07-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #37
MaverickM3

Kid you can't beat me!! LoL.. I got an HPF clutch...
Old 07-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #38
kidplatinum

Quote:
(I'm a paramedic btw lol).
Paramedic, GOOD! Now I will not feel so bad when I get to beat'n on ya! You will know what to do when I open that can of TT whoop ass!

Seriously though...GET IT IN WRITING!! Enjoy the extra power...and you will want more. Power is like hot chics...the more the better!!
Old 07-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #39
kidplatinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickM3 View Post
Kid you can't beat me!! LoL.. I got an HPF clutch...
HPF vs TT...right after I beat AA down. Yesterday I just figured out what the third pedal was for...as you can see my driving skills are improving fast! I always figured I had two brake pedals to handle my total awesome TT kit...who knew it was for shifting gears!

Last edited by kidplatinum; 07-08-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #40
AW330

Quote:
Paramedic, GOOD! Now I will not feel so bad when I get to beat'n on ya! You will know what to do when I open that can of TT whoop ass!

Seriously though...GET IT IN WRITING!! Enjoy the extra power...and you will want more. Power is like hot chics...the more the better!!
Lol well see, but in the end this will be you.... Show me a pic of your car because i highly doubt i saw your tt intercooler and got scared