E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2003, 11:02 PM   #1
sj323

My Ride: 323i
How to remove fog lights

I just got a new set of fog lights from SPP. The problem is that my car came with a aftermarket front bumper. Anybody know how to install fog lights on this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw 323 front1.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	53902  
sj323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-17-2003, 11:12 PM   #2
Dev
PSHOPWERKS

My Ride: Yellow Porsche GT2
That's a coupe bumper on a sedan. Hmmm...where are the coupe owners? They should be able to answer this one.

Current Hate Level: 10 | Previous Hate Level: 9
The hatin' level on the E46Fanatics.com board.
Dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 12:58 AM   #3
egyptnads
Banned

My Ride: 2000 silver 323i
Send a message via AIM to egyptnads
when in doubt, rip it out
egyptnads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 01:00 AM   #4
p0tpie

My Ride: '06 M3
thats nota regular coupe bumper its the aero one
Old 05-18-2003, 01:50 AM   #5
E46inOC

My Ride: OB325Ci
remove the wall around the wheels...
E46inOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 10:41 AM   #6
sj323

Quote:
Originally posted by E46inOC
What do you mean? Do you mean take the wheels off, remove the wall that is inside and reach in to change the fog lights?
Old 05-19-2003, 01:06 PM   #7
Banana_Bread

My Ride: 323Ci
I did a writeup on almost this exact same setup, aero front bumper/coupe. It was for a technical writing course.

HOW TO REPLACE A FOG-LIGHT BULB ON A LATE MODEL BMW 3 SERIES

Introduction

Replacing the front fog-lights for a late model BMW 3 Series Coupe is a relatively easy task as long as you have basic hand tools and are comfortable working on your vehicle. After a few years of use, your fog-light bulbs will eventually burn out from use. If your car is no longer under warranty and wanted to get this fixed professionally, it could cost $60-80 for a hours worth of labor. The reason why it takes so long to replace a bulb is because it involves the removal of the front bumper. Thus, by doing this yourself you can save a significant sum of money.

It is recommended that work be done in a clean, level, and well lit location. Wear clothes that you do not mind getting dirty as you will be working around areas of the car that have accumulated a lot of grime. The entire process will take a beginner about two hours to complete. However, give yourself an extra hour or two to take breaks if you feel tired. Also, be sure that you have all the necessary tools before you begin so you do not have to take any unnecessary trips to the hardware store.

To do the job correctly, you will need the following tools and supplies:
1. ¼ inch Socket Wrench
2. ¼ inch 8mm bit
3. ¼ inch 10 mm bit
4. Torx T-50 Socket
5. Phillips head screwdriver
6. Flashlight
7. Replacement fog light bulb

Replacing the front fog light consists of the following steps:
1. Locating and removing the 8mm retaining screws
2. Locating and removing the 2 Torx T-50 support bolts
3. Removing the front bumper
4. Replacing the bulb
5. Re-installation of bumper and testing the light

Step 1: Locating and Removing the 8mm Retaining Screws

First, unscrew the four 8mm retaining screws found on the underside of the front bumper. Using your flashlight, you will see that two are located directly in front of the wheels and are located near the center. Use your ¼ inch socket and 8mm socket attachment and remove these 4 screws. If you find they are difficult to remove, spray some WD-40 onto the screw, let it sit for 5 minutes, and try again. This should lubricate the thread enough to remove the screw easily. Next, remove the two screws located inside the fender well right in front of the wheel. There is one screw on each side of the vehicle. Using a flashlight, illuminate the fender lining area to find the screw and use your ¼ inch socket and 8mm attachment to remove them. At this point, you should have a total of six 8mm screws. Keep them in a safe place as you will need them when re-attaching the bumper.

Step 2: Locating and Removing the Two Torx T-50 Bolts

There are two Torx T-50 bolts located underneath the front license plate area that stabilize the front bumper to the frame of the vehicle. To remove these two bolts you will need a Torx T-50 socket which costs about six dollars from your local Canadian Tire or Home Depot. Now, using a 3/8” ratchet and Torx T-50 socket, remove these two bolts and place them in a safe place.

Step 3: Removing the Front Bumper

Now that you have all the retaining screws and bolts removed you can proceed to removing the front bumper. Ensure that you have placed towels or blankets underneath the bumper so that when it is removed, you can place it on the ground without damaging the paint. Begin at the drivers side and pull the bumper out towards yourself. Once it has moved out about two inches, move onto the passenger side and repeat this until you pull about two inches out. Next, place your hand in the center area grill and pull outward. The bumper should slowly move toward you and dislodge from the vehicle completely. If you hear any plastic snapping noises don’t worry, that is normal, it is just the plastic brackets separating from the car. Once you have successfully removed the bumper, place it on top of the towels/blankets.

Step 4: Replacing the Fog Light Bulb

Now with the bumper on the ground, you will have easy access to the fog-light bulb. Locate which fog-light bulb is blown, press down on the bulb, turn counter-clock wise, then pull out. Once this is removed, take your new fog light bulb and replace it in the socket, press down, turn clockwise and release. Now the new fog light will be secured and ready to use. Caution: be sure that when handling the new bulb, your fingers do not touch the bulb itself. Handle the base of the bulb only. Oils on your fingertips can cause the bulb to blow up once it is illuminated.

Step 5: Reinstalling the Front Bumper and Testing the Fog-lights

Now that you have successfully replaced the fog-light bulb(s), it is time to
re-install the front bumper. It is possible to do this by yourself but it is easier if you have a friend to help you. Lift the bumper up by placing your hands in the center grill area, ensure that it is aligned correctly and push it towards the vehicle. Continue to slowly push the bumper back in place while constantly checking the two ends to make sure they line up with the fenders. Once this is completed, reattached the two Torx T-50 bolts, screw the two 8mm bolts back into the fender area, and screw in the four 8mm screws into the underside of the bumper. Once everything is tightened, you can now turn on your vehicle and test your new light(s).
Banana_Bread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 03:19 PM   #8
ACS Rob
pinoyfanatic

My Ride: This --->
Quote:
Originally posted by E46inOC
I have the same front bumper... This is by far the easiest way to do the bulb replacement on your fogs. Your other choice is to remove your headlights to gain access to the back of the fogs.

Just go through the wheelwell... Takes 5 minutes to do each side. You will need to unscrew 3 screws on each side.

Good luck.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:12 PM   #9
sj323

Quote:
Originally posted by ACS Rob

I have the same front bumper... This is by far the easiest way to do the bulb replacement on your fogs. Your other choice is to remove your headlights to gain access to the back of the fogs.

Just go through the wheelwell... Takes 5 minutes to do each side. You will need to unscrew 3 screws on each side.

Good luck.
This sounds a lot easier then removing the whole front bumper. Do you need to remove the wheels to go through the wheelwell?

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2003, 02:21 PM   #10
ACS Rob
pinoyfanatic

My Ride: This --->
Removing the wheels is not required but will make things alot easier
Old 08-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
JerzyBoy973

My Ride: 01 330ci
I just swapped the bulbs in my fogs and this thread came up during my search on how to go about removing the fogs.

Removing the bumper is complete rubbish.

Getting dirty in the wheelwell is a complete waste of time.

I did it in about 20 minutes standing comfortably and without taking the whle car apart.

Each headlight has 4 screws that come out in order to slide them forward, then it's a straight shot to the fogs. I actually took me 10 mins a side but I added a little unwrapping time and scratching my nutz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana_Bread View Post
I did a writeup on almost this exact same setup, aero front bumper/coupe. It was for a technical writing course.

HOW TO REPLACE A FOG-LIGHT BULB ON A LATE MODEL BMW 3 SERIES

Introduction

Replacing the front fog-lights for a late model BMW 3 Series Coupe is a relatively easy task as long as you have basic hand tools and are comfortable working on your vehicle. After a few years of use, your fog-light bulbs will eventually burn out from use. If your car is no longer under warranty and wanted to get this fixed professionally, it could cost $60-80 for a hours worth of labor. The reason why it takes so long to replace a bulb is because it involves the removal of the front bumper. Thus, by doing this yourself you can save a significant sum of money.

It is recommended that work be done in a clean, level, and well lit location. Wear clothes that you do not mind getting dirty as you will be working around areas of the car that have accumulated a lot of grime. The entire process will take a beginner about two hours to complete. However, give yourself an extra hour or two to take breaks if you feel tired. Also, be sure that you have all the necessary tools before you begin so you do not have to take any unnecessary trips to the hardware store.

To do the job correctly, you will need the following tools and supplies:
1. ¼ inch Socket Wrench
2. ¼ inch 8mm bit
3. ¼ inch 10 mm bit
4. Torx T-50 Socket
5. Phillips head screwdriver
6. Flashlight
7. Replacement fog light bulb

Replacing the front fog light consists of the following steps:
1. Locating and removing the 8mm retaining screws
2. Locating and removing the 2 Torx T-50 support bolts
3. Removing the front bumper
4. Replacing the bulb
5. Re-installation of bumper and testing the light

Step 1: Locating and Removing the 8mm Retaining Screws

First, unscrew the four 8mm retaining screws found on the underside of the front bumper. Using your flashlight, you will see that two are located directly in front of the wheels and are located near the center. Use your ¼ inch socket and 8mm socket attachment and remove these 4 screws. If you find they are difficult to remove, spray some WD-40 onto the screw, let it sit for 5 minutes, and try again. This should lubricate the thread enough to remove the screw easily. Next, remove the two screws located inside the fender well right in front of the wheel. There is one screw on each side of the vehicle. Using a flashlight, illuminate the fender lining area to find the screw and use your ¼ inch socket and 8mm attachment to remove them. At this point, you should have a total of six 8mm screws. Keep them in a safe place as you will need them when re-attaching the bumper.

Step 2: Locating and Removing the Two Torx T-50 Bolts

There are two Torx T-50 bolts located underneath the front license plate area that stabilize the front bumper to the frame of the vehicle. To remove these two bolts you will need a Torx T-50 socket which costs about six dollars from your local Canadian Tire or Home Depot. Now, using a 3/8” ratchet and Torx T-50 socket, remove these two bolts and place them in a safe place.

Step 3: Removing the Front Bumper

Now that you have all the retaining screws and bolts removed you can proceed to removing the front bumper. Ensure that you have placed towels or blankets underneath the bumper so that when it is removed, you can place it on the ground without damaging the paint. Begin at the drivers side and pull the bumper out towards yourself. Once it has moved out about two inches, move onto the passenger side and repeat this until you pull about two inches out. Next, place your hand in the center area grill and pull outward. The bumper should slowly move toward you and dislodge from the vehicle completely. If you hear any plastic snapping noises don’t worry, that is normal, it is just the plastic brackets separating from the car. Once you have successfully removed the bumper, place it on top of the towels/blankets.

Step 4: Replacing the Fog Light Bulb

Now with the bumper on the ground, you will have easy access to the fog-light bulb. Locate which fog-light bulb is blown, press down on the bulb, turn counter-clock wise, then pull out. Once this is removed, take your new fog light bulb and replace it in the socket, press down, turn clockwise and release. Now the new fog light will be secured and ready to use. Caution: be sure that when handling the new bulb, your fingers do not touch the bulb itself. Handle the base of the bulb only. Oils on your fingertips can cause the bulb to blow up once it is illuminated.

Step 5: Reinstalling the Front Bumper and Testing the Fog-lights

Now that you have successfully replaced the fog-light bulb(s), it is time to
re-install the front bumper. It is possible to do this by yourself but it is easier if you have a friend to help you. Lift the bumper up by placing your hands in the center grill area, ensure that it is aligned correctly and push it towards the vehicle. Continue to slowly push the bumper back in place while constantly checking the two ends to make sure they line up with the fenders. Once this is completed, reattached the two Torx T-50 bolts, screw the two 8mm bolts back into the fender area, and screw in the four 8mm screws into the underside of the bumper. Once everything is tightened, you can now turn on your vehicle and test your new light(s).

Hell NO!! Are you cray this is absolutely absurd!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACS Rob View Post

Good luck.
NOPE
Old 08-04-2011, 01:21 PM   #12
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
For the M-Tech II bumper I found out after removing the wheel well, all you need to do is take off the black plastic bulb housing thing and a single screw is securing the fog light in.

That was annoying to find out afterwards, to say the least. It seems like all of the fog light threads I've seen have absolutely absurd disassembly instructions. Literally, it is one screw.

Last edited by Zell; 08-04-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #13
JerzyBoy973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
For the M-Tech II bumper I found out after removing the wheel well, all you need to do is take off the black plastic bulb housing thing and a single screw is securing the fog light in.

That was annoying to find out afterwards, to say the least. It seems like all of the fog light threads I've seen have absolutely absurd disassembly instructions. Literally, it is one screw.
yeah i wish the aeo bumper was that easy . But if you don't have front mounted fogs. there's tons of access from the headlight area
Old 08-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #14
OneOfaKindTrini

My Ride: 540i w/ 3 Pedals..
That bumper

But as long as you like it, it's your ride.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #15
JerzyBoy973

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfaKindTrini View Post
That bumper

But as long as you like it, it's your ride.
I haven't decided yet man take it easy. I'm still on the fence. I need a back bumper and I'd like my front and rear to match so I may get an mtech II set from umnitza since the aero rare is super dated.