E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #41
cgaluski

My Ride: 04 M3
Being from Orlando, FL, it sounds like my SMG is experiencing the prototypical summertime blues. it sounds like i have identical symptoms with my SMG dropping to Neutral during city traffic on hot days (and with the AC generating additional heat)...

Anyone who has performed this mod already: i just want to know how your SMG is holding up after the resistor mod - it looks like most of the traffic was from about a year ago.

i am comfortable working with electronics, but i am still a little apprehensive modifying wiring on such an expensive and intricate car. please let me know how this is holding up and if you all are still insisting that this is the saving grace a year later, i'll give it a shot. Thanks in advance

Car: 04 M3 vert SMG II

i am experiencing the same intermittent fault that was addressed above

this has happened about 4 times in the last 1000 miles. the SMG cog light would come on and the smg would eventually shift to neutral for about 3-5 sec before popping back in gear. i just completed a 200 mile trip non-stop mostly on the highway and did not have any issues until i was in city traffic (shifting frequently). Outside temp varies from about 80-100F

I had the computer scanned at the BMW dealer and saw the following codes which may be related:

0038 SMG: On period, hydraulic unit (OBD#P1717)
0069 DME: signal, engine, temperatur, implausible
00B1 DME: MIL lights up as result of request by SMG
00E6 DME: Electric throttle: setpoint/ actual value deviation

other notes: i have replaced the salmon relay. I have ~64K miles. i recently received the inspection II service and i saw this light go on shortly thereafter. When the dealer scanned the computer they did not provide me any worthwhile insight to the problem since i'm sure their best interest would be to sell me a whole new hydraulic unit...

this is a very intermittent issue. i truly love this car, but if i am looking at a $3-4K tranny job i may just trade it in or sell it as-is.

Thanks for all replies
cgaluski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #42
DjPiZdEtZ

My Ride: 2006 E46 M3 White
Still having problems

So I ended up swapping all of the temp sensors out followed by doing the resistor trick. Now what the SMG does is if its hot outside and I take a trip it will randomly turn on the Transmission light and drop me into N even if I am on a highway. It will happen either when I take a long trip (more than 50 miles) or if I am abusing it like Full Angry Button on and I floor it. If I idle for a bit and my AC is on first the light comes in and then it will put me in N after a bit.There is no SES light anymore at all. If it does this and I try to restart the car it wont turn over/crank. In order for me to get going again I need to pull over and reset my smg by holding the gas pedal down on the button until it clicks, Yesterday the light came on and it was like 78 degrees outside. The SMG shifts fine when its working so maybe the resistor is screwing things up? The car is driveable and at the worst case I can just keep resetting it but I would like to get this fixed because it is annoying.
DjPiZdEtZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #43
roadtrip1098

My Ride: 04 M3 SMG LSB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPiZdEtZ View Post
In order for me to get going again I need to pull over and reset my smg by holding the gas pedal down on the button until it clicks.
I have never heard of this method... The only SMG reset I know of is pulling the paddles back for 10 secs while in N and moving at 40+. At least that's all that's in the tech manual for the SMGII. Can anyone else verify that the gas pedal trick works?
roadtrip1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #44
CJM3GUY

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3 Vert
Resistor needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevro View Post
in an effort to thank the e46 fanatics community (and because I was gonna have to pay $10 to ship these $1 items) I bought several of these. PM me and I will simply send you one. Free. No strings. If this fixes my m3 it will be the first time I have been able to fix any issues on this car for less than $300. So hit me up, I got 10 to give.
Kevin
910 Ohm 10W Resistor Wire Wound 5% Tolerance
Part Number: 016-910
Hey kevro just got a 2003 E46 M3 Vert Oxford Green a couple weeks ago, it was 104 degrees here in LA last weekend and I had the SMG overheat issue. You think I could get one of those resistors?? Id really appreciate it
CJM3GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #45
bmwknightm3

My Ride: Smg M3 2002
i think my issue is finally resolved. A friendly local shop swapped out my tranny and several trips around town - no issues. They said tranny was bad, once it was out, they couldn't even get it in/out of 2nd gear, indicating that overall tranny had issues. Hit me up if you guys need to know where to go. The dumb thing is, there's really no "Handbook" on how to troubleshoot SMG issues, it just takes really talented techs that do not simply rely on just the fault codes.
bmwknightm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #46
hvill

My Ride: e46 m3 vert,
Quote:
in an effort to thank the e46 fanatics community (and because I was gonna have to pay $10 to ship these $1 items) I bought several of these. PM me and I will simply send you one. Free. No strings. If this fixes my m3 it will be the first time I have been able to fix any issues on this car for less than $300. So hit me up, I got 10 to give.
Kevin
Wow, what a generous offer! Any chance I am in time? Thanks, 'new member', but old (!) and long time e46 m3 owner. Just now starting to experience many of the described symptoms.
Thank you.
hvill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #47
bmwknightm3

i lied, issue happened again. crusing in 4th or 5th and car dropped into Neutral. I already did the resistor mode, so I dont think it's that.. unless there's such a thing as a bad hydro temp sensor???

anyways, i saw on another forum that it's possible a weak battery?! - what do you guys think of that?
reference: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1788586
Old 10-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #48
roadtrip1098

My Ride: 04 M3 SMG LSB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwknightm3 View Post
i lied, issue happened again. crusing in 4th or 5th and car dropped into Neutral. I already did the resistor mode, so I dont think it's that.. unless there's such a thing as a bad hydro temp sensor???

anyways, i saw on another forum that it's possible a weak battery?! - what do you guys think of that?
reference: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1788586
Weak batteries DO effect shifting, pump priming times, ect. If you haven't had your battery checked, I highly recommend it.
roadtrip1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #49
kensou

My Ride: ///M3 E46 cab
Send a message via MSN to kensou Send a message via Yahoo to kensou
The most valuable DIY i have ever seen. Thank you !
Old 10-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #50
bmwknightm3

So i had my battery checked, the guy said it's at 87% (im not sure if that's the level it needs to be changed at or not), should be be right at 100% or just in the 90%'s?

Anyways - I swapped out battery last night and still driving the car to see if it continues to slip me into neutral while driving. Anyone else experience this issue and fixed via fresh new battery???
Old 10-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #51
bmwknightm3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaluski View Post
this has happened about 4 times in the last 1000 miles. the SMG cog light would come on and the smg would eventually shift to neutral for about 3-5 sec before popping back in gear. i just completed a 200 mile trip non-stop mostly on the highway and did not have any issues until i was in city traffic (shifting frequently). Outside temp varies from about 80-100F

Thanks for all replies
interesting that it pops you back into gear after putting you into neutral! My issue is that it puts me in neutral.. then i have to coast to a stop. Somtimes while coasting, the car will die (stall). Sucks. I'll keep you guys posted on the fix w/fresh battery.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #52
bmwknightm3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip1098 View Post
Weak batteries DO effect shifting, pump priming times, ect. If you haven't had your battery checked, I highly recommend it.
So i was told that these cars are extremely sensitive to voltage. so i guess if volt drops, it can cause electrical issues (maybe i'm being dropped into neutral bc of this). I got new battery so i'm going to see what happens in the next few days. Can't believe all the $$$ damage this has caused....
Old 10-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #53
bmwknightm3

fresh battery fixed my issue of dropping into neutral while driving. After all the mis-diagnose by "certified" bmw tech. Pshhhhh.

So in the end my car had 2 issues:
- Bad Transmission - gears would get stuck (mostly 2nd gear)
- Bad Battery - it was only at 87% capacity, fresh ones are closer to 100%.

Yet I changed all this at the beginning:
- SMG Pump
- SMG Actuator
- SMG Relay
Old 11-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #54
lenin88

My Ride: 2003 m3 convertible
smg fix

Where did you get the resistor i used radio shack before!
lenin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #55
oxfordgreenM3

My Ride: m3 e46
i cant find that right resistor my car keeps jumping into neutral plz help where can i buy that resistor you got??
oxfordgreenM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #56
bmwknightm3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordgreenM3 View Post
i cant find that right resistor my car keeps jumping into neutral plz help where can i buy that resistor you got??
Check your battery yet? Resistors are at Fry's.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:26 PM   #57
IrishTiger

My Ride: '03 M3 Coupe LSB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03DinanS2 View Post

Take a 500-1K ohm heat resistant resistor and splice it in series with the temp sensor. its that simple. it takes about 20 Minutes start to finish. i waited about a week to post this to make absolutly sure the problem was gone. you can access the connector that goes from the ECU to the HYD pump from unterneath the car just "inboard" of the front driver side tire. there are 18 wires on it i think and all sorts of colors. the wire you want is the SOLID WHITE WIRE. Just cut it, splice in the resistor and wrap it up tight and your done.
Quote:

Hey all,

Okay - so I'm new to resistors. I've never messed with one in my life, and I really don't understand the 500-1K OHM actually means, and then when Kevin found his part, the 910 OHM 10W one, I am just curious as to what exactly I should get.

I do have a Fry's close by, and a Microcenter as well. I'm assuming that the 910 is fine because it's in between Dinan's 500-1000K range. But once I find that, are there different wattages I should look for - or should I just search out a 10W one like Kevin did?

Thanks!

'03 E46 M3 Laguna Seca Blue, SMG-II
'13 Acura MDX Advance Package
1990 Mooney Turbo M20M-TLS "Bravo"
IrishTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:58 AM   #58
IrishTiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishTiger View Post
Hey all,

Okay - so I'm new to resistors. I've never messed with one in my life, and I really don't understand the 500-1K OHM actually means, and then when Kevin found his part, the 910 OHM 10W one, I am just curious as to what exactly I should get.

I do have a Fry's close by, and a Microcenter as well. I'm assuming that the 910 is fine because it's in between Dinan's 500-1000K range. But once I find that, are there different wattages I should look for - or should I just search out a 10W one like Kevin did?

Thanks!
Bump on this? I'd like to grab a resistor soon.

And just to add - I've checked my battery voltages through the "odometer system checks" and it's low, but once the car fires up, the alternator brings it up to where the voltages should be. I believe that once I get a new battery, do the resistor mod, and then change out the salmon relay (just for kicks, why not?) that I should be good to go.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:48 PM   #59
Bemito

My Ride: E46 M3
I performed this procedure in Dec. 2013, after years of being plagued by the cringe-inducing SMG cog light. That light hasn't activated since, despite driving for hours in 90-100 degree heat in the past few months.

I used a low-wattage (I can't recall the exact W at the moment) 3.3K Ohm resistor, not from Fry's but from a local electronics shop. The wiring harness is much smaller than I interpreted from the pictures, so I used the small-wattage resistor so it would fit better in parallel with the other many thin wires. Crimping the butt connectors was hell, both positioning the tool over the butt connectors and squeezing the crimping tool with sufficient force. (I was under the car raised by ramps, not via a lift; I suggest a lift if at all possible.)

I'd never done anything like this before but it was worth it.
Bemito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:50 AM   #60
IrishTiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemito View Post
I performed this procedure in Dec. 2013, after years of being plagued by the cringe-inducing SMG cog light. That light hasn't activated since, despite driving for hours in 90-100 degree heat in the past few months.

I used a low-wattage (I can't recall the exact W at the moment) 3.3K Ohm resistor, not from Fry's but from a local electronics shop. The wiring harness is much smaller than I interpreted from the pictures, so I used the small-wattage resistor so it would fit better in parallel with the other many thin wires. Crimping the butt connectors was hell, both positioning the tool over the butt connectors and squeezing the crimping tool with sufficient force. (I was under the car raised by ramps, not via a lift; I suggest a lift if at all possible.)

I'd never done anything like this before but it was worth it.
THANK YOU so much for responding. Of all the people who have done this mod, I'd hoped I'd get at least one response.

Did you use any diagrams to help get your oriented? And if you do have a diagram, I'd really appreciate it as it would help me get my bearings. The way it's written, it seems that if I can jack up the front drivers wheel and take it off, I can get to the wires that way too.

Thanks for the experience and the response. I really appreciate it.

Again - if anyone can chime in with other further comments, this is an issue I'll be tackling within the next week, and I want to do it right. Diagrams, resistor information, and maybe a youtube video or something that is similar to the crimping would be great, as I'd like to get it done right the first time.

Thanks again Bemito!!!