E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 01:26 AM   #1
Airmanwheeler

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325ci
I got gremlins in my bimmer!

Alex Comments: I'm in urgent need of your help! I have a 2004 BMW 325ci. My car a couple days ago wouldnt start at first, it just clicked but no drain on headlights or anything when I had the ignition on start, so I waited a couple minutes and it finally it worked. The next day my car didn't start at all and I had to push start it! I thought I needed a new battery so I went to get a new one and put it in but my car still didn't start, I returned the battery. I got my old one back and checked the charge and it was fine. I got my starter replaced and this is wut the mechanics told me.... My original starter was bad because the power going to my little terminal on the starter was recieving constant power and was burning the motor on my starter because the motor was constantly running on it. So they hooked up my starter and left that wire off my new starter so it wouldnt burn the new one out. I was back to push starting my car... Then when I was driving home I felt this jerk like my brakes were depressed slightly and my traction control, and ABS Brakes light popped up in my dash, then my airbag light popped up, then my A/C shut off, then my headlights didn't work, then my radio, then I tried to roll down my window but it seemed like my car didn't have enough juice, then I tried my windshield wipers and it seemed liked they didn't have any juice, then my car just totally died while driving!!!!!!!! Help me!!!! I've already spent 560$ on the starter! And I'm scared how much the rest of this problem could cost me!!!
July 6, 2011
Airmanwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:31 AM   #2
j_block

My Ride: 2003 325i
do you have a check engine light?
j_block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:43 AM   #3
omni01_k

My Ride: 2010 335i
I don't know much but it sounds electrical. May not have a choice but to take it to the dealership if not them then a good mechanic you trust
Old 07-07-2011, 07:19 AM   #4
EJL486

My Ride: E46, E34
I'd replace the voltage regulator on the alternator... its a $50 part from pelican including 2 day shipping - I had very similar symptoms last week, replaced the regulator, car is running great now. the contacts on the old regulator wear out over time and eventually stop making contact with the alternator which when its at that point, causes some bizarre electrical issues. do some searches on voltage regulator / alternator issues and you should see a lot of similar stories.

2003 325i 5MT Pics of Car
1995 530i 5MT
1986 535i 5MT sold
http://www.bmwusfactory.com
http://www.thebmwpartstore.com
PSN: EJL486 - Actively Playing: GT5, Battlefield 3, Madden '12
EJL486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
could be you drained/killed your battery by trying to start your car all the time. Get a new battery (again) and start from there. If your current battery is 4-6 years old, it's probably time for a new one anyway

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #6
Airmanwheeler

I tested the battery at auto zone and they said the charge on my battery was better then the new one. The thing is I tried the new battery when I had the bad starter on my car, so I'm thinking maybe the test might have been wrong for my battery... But that wouldn't explain why my starter was actually receiving constant power to the Starter motor... I did some research and it looks like it could be eather my starter relay, or a guy said that he saw this problem once when the ignition was stuck between start and on causing the starter to recieve constant power... But that doesn't explain all the other problems.... The voltage regulator/ alternator does sound like a likely cause, maybe the alternator was overcharging the battery wich caused my battery to be at a higher charge then a new battery and caused all these other problems, but it doesn't explain the starter..... Maybe I'm not connecting the dots here.... Help me out guys!
Old 07-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
Joeggernaut

My Ride: 330ci
Gremlins are only reserved for VW. There is no eradicating the gremlins from VW. I know a girl who had two different vw beetles a 98 and 2000 and both randomly caught on fire while driving and burned to the ground.
Joeggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #8
Airmanwheeler

Well usually that's what fuses are there for... Maybe this person tried to bypass some fuses and caused the fire!
Old 07-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #9
Joeggernaut

My Ride: 330ci
No it was VW fault (I am thread jacking I know sorry). It was kinda like the thing with our e46 sub frame issue. VW knew about people's car catching on fire because of faulty wire harness but didnt want to issue a recall due to money. After both times her car burned to the ground they gave her full retail value + 3000 towards VW at the dealer. She didnt make the same mistake three times to say the least.
Joeggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #10
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmanwheeler View Post
I tested the battery at auto zone and they said the charge on my battery was better then the new one. The thing is I tried the new battery when I had the bad starter on my car, so I'm thinking maybe the test might have been wrong for my battery... But that wouldn't explain why my starter was actually receiving constant power to the Starter motor... I did some research and it looks like it could be eather my starter relay, or a guy said that he saw this problem once when the ignition was stuck between start and on causing the starter to recieve constant power... But that doesn't explain all the other problems.... The voltage regulator/ alternator does sound like a likely cause, maybe the alternator was overcharging the battery wich caused my battery to be at a higher charge then a new battery and caused all these other problems, but it doesn't explain the starter..... Maybe I'm not connecting the dots here.... Help me out guys!
I had a battery test fine at Autozone too before for my E39. Turned out a new one solved my starting problem and Autozone replaced the old battery (an Autozone battery) for a new one free of charge. Never rule out an old battery just because it tests fine.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:17 AM   #11
Hukerfaker

My Ride: My wife.
I can almost guarantee that your problem is incredibly trivial (in solution, although it gives you nightmares). It's definitely electrical, it could be something as simple as loose battery connection. I would change cables that connect to the battery and continue from there.