E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
RJONESJACKSON

My Ride: BMW 323I 2000
Temp have reads hot but coolant is still cool

MY 323I HAD A LEAK IN COOLING SYS.CHANGED OUT RADIATOR,BRACKET ,ALL SEALS,THERMOSTAT,HOSES,IT THEN BEGAN TO RUN HOT,I USED WATER CUZ BMW ANTIFREEZE IS EXPENSIVE,TEMP HAVE READS HOT BUT WATER IN REZ.IS COOL CAN IT BE SOME KIND OF INTERNAL BLOCKAGE (HELP !!!!

Sent from my HERO200 using Bimmer App
RJONESJACKSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
You changed the bracket and it still didn't cool it down? Hmm. I'm stumped.

Did you replace the expansion tank and water pump?

Drain the water and put in distilled water and BMW coolant.

Did you check to see if it's the temperature sensor?

Last edited by aggieE46; 07-08-2011 at 11:05 AM.
aggieE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
RJONESJACKSON

THE WATER PUMP IS GOOD ,EXPANSION TANK CHANGED ,COULD IT BE CLOGGED COOLING PORTS

Old 07-09-2011, 05:27 AM   #4
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Have you properly bled the cooling system?
Old 07-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
It could be a faulty thermostat. Normally when a thermostat goes bad, it gets stuck open, which means the coolant/water is always circulating through the radiator even before the engine gets up to normal operating temp. However, in rare cases the thermostat gets stuck closed and the water pump cannot circulate any water through the radiator. In this case the car will overheat but the radiator will still be cool. Specifically the coolant going through the engine (and upper radiator hose) will be hot but the coolant in the radiator and lower radiator hose will be cool. Which thermostat did you install?

That said, it seems a more likely cause of the problem is you didn't bleed the system properly.
LivesNearCostco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
The e46 is easy to fill if you remove the bleeder screw (right next to the rad cap).
1. have car on level surface
2. take out the bleeder screw
3. fill with water (or coolant) until water comes out of the bleeder screw
4. put bleeder screw back in
5. put radiator cap back on
6. run engine, watch temps and feel the upper rad hose
7. hose gets hot and temp gauge has not pegged itself, you are probably OK.
8. run the car long enough, the lower hose will start to get hot
Old 07-12-2011, 01:31 AM   #7
RJONESJACKSON

Preciate info,top hose and thermostat one piece,bleeder screw removed while filling expansion tank ,once again can it be some type of internal blockage

Old 07-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
mrshelley

Does is have a plastic impeller on the water pump?
Old 07-13-2011, 12:31 AM   #9
E34Addict

My Ride: E34 540I/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJONESJACKSON View Post
MY 323I HAD A LEAK IN COOLING SYS.CHANGED OUT RADIATOR,BRACKET ,ALL SEALS,THERMOSTAT,HOSES,IT THEN BEGAN TO RUN HOT,I USED WATER CUZ BMW ANTIFREEZE IS EXPENSIVE,TEMP HAVE READS HOT BUT WATER IN REZ.IS COOL CAN IT BE SOME KIND OF INTERNAL BLOCKAGE (HELP !!!!

First of all BMW coolant is $7 bucks. If you can't afford it don't drive a BMW.

Second of all, blockage would cause other parts of your cooling system to run VERY hot. Check your system my touch or with thermal scanner.

Furthermore you need to figure out where the temp sensor is located on your car and check temperature at that point, if it's cold within that location replace the sensor.

///////////////////////////////////////////// E34 Addicts
E34Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:41 AM   #10
RJONESJACKSON

FIRST OF ALL WHEREVER YOU LIVE IT MA BE 7 BUCKS AND AS LONG AS I SPEND MY MONEY I'LL DRIVE WHAT I PLEASE ,NOW IF YOU ARE GOING TO HELP THEN HELP IF NOT KEEP YOU TINY COMMENTS TO YOURSELF,I POSTED FOR HELP ON A MECHANICAL PROBLEM NOT FINANCIAL ,YOU HAVE A GOOD DAY CAUSE IT JUST OCCURRED TO ME JUST WHAT YOU ARE ADDICTED TO

Old 07-13-2011, 09:47 AM   #11
RJONESJACKSON

THEN TO ADDICT IF IT IS AN INTERNAL BLOCKAGE OF THE COOLING PORTS WHAT OTHER PART COULD BE HOT OTHER THAN MOTOR SINCE NOTHING IS CIRCULATING ,

Old 07-13-2011, 10:07 AM   #12
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Could be something like the water pump impeller broken? Might be a stupid question, did you properly route the engine belt around the waterpump pulley (if you removed the belt of course)?
Also, There are 2 different drain plugs for the same radiator, one for automatics and one for manuals, did you get the correct part? From what I recall, the automatic plug is longer than the manual version. Finally, try re-bleeding the cooling system, official bmw instructions here

P.S also try to avoid caps it's really irritating
Old 07-13-2011, 10:43 AM   #13
mrshelley

I'd just start over again. Pull the radiator, thermostat and water pump out. Take the expansion tank off of the radiator. Run water through the radiator with a hose. Rinse out the expansion tank. Rinse out the upper and lower hoses. Run water through the two smaller hoses that go to the expansion tank. Take a flashlight and look in where the water pump and thermostat are.

At this point, if everything flows nicely, then you are down to only a few things. First and foremost would be the thermostat. Second would be the water pump. The plastic impeller ones can come apart and create a blockage. On VW's the plastic impeller just spins on the shaft and the car overheats within 2 minutes.

Now, if everything checks out, reassemble everything. Fill the car with water and bleed it properly. At this point, you don't need BMW coolant, water will be suffice. Run it and see if the top hose gets hot. If it does, then keep running it and the bottom will get hot (it will take a while). Keep watching the gauge while you are doing this.

This will take a while to accomplish but you are better off getting to the bottom of this and sometimes you have to go back to square one.

If everything works out, drain the radiator (not the engine) and refill with some of that universal coolant that you can get at an autoparts store. No need for the BMW stuff.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:57 AM   #14
RJONESJACKSON

THANK YOU MRSHELLY,NOW THAT'S BEING HELPFUL ,BUT EVERYTHING WAS NEW RAD ,EXPANSION TANK,THERMOSTAT,BOTTOM HOSE,I THINK I WILL TRY TO USE PRESSUREWASHER AND,SHOOT WATER THRU UPPER AND LOWER HOSES ,ALSO I DIDN'T CHECK WATER PUMP CUZ WATER APPEARED TO BE CIRCULATING THROUGH SYSTEM,THANKS AGAIN

Old 07-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #15
RJONESJACKSON

PARAKLAS NOT A DUMB QUESTION
BUT DID NOT REMOVE BELT,USED BMW PROCEDURES FOR BLEEDING SYSTEM,THANK YOU
Old 07-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #16
mrshelley

Don't use a pressure washer. It might just ruin something else. Those plastic fittings on the heater hoses are the perfect size for a water hose.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #17
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
STOP YELLING IN CAPS!!!!!

(its also harder to read)

okay?

thanks.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #18
E34Addict

My Ride: E34 540I/6
Quote:
FIRST OF ALL WHEREVER YOU LIVE IT MA BE 7 BUCKS AND AS LONG AS I SPEND MY MONEY I'LL DRIVE WHAT I PLEASE ,NOW IF YOU ARE GOING TO HELP THEN HELP IF NOT KEEP YOU TINY COMMENTS TO YOURSELF,I POSTED FOR HELP ON A MECHANICAL PROBLEM NOT FINANCIAL ,YOU HAVE A GOOD DAY CAUSE IT JUST OCCURRED TO ME JUST WHAT YOU ARE ADDICTED TO

Quote:
THEN TO ADDICT IF IT IS AN INTERNAL BLOCKAGE OF THE COOLING PORTS WHAT OTHER PART COULD BE HOT OTHER THAN MOTOR SINCE NOTHING IS CIRCULATING ,

Have fun diagnosing simply cooling system problem for the third week in a row

///////////////////////////////////////////// E34 Addicts
E34Addict is offline   Reply With Quote